Author Topic: Trump Tells Aides Not To Talk Publicly About Russia Policy Moves  (Read 567 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump's national security advisers spent months trying to convince him to sign off on a plan to supply new U.S. weapons to Ukraine to aid in the country's fight against Russian-backed separatists, according to multiple senior administration officials.

Yet when the president finally authorized the major policy shift, he told his aides not to publicly tout his decision, officials said. Doing so, Trump argued, might agitate Russian President Vladimir Putin, according to the officials.

"He doesn't want us to bring it up," one White House official said. "It is not something he wants to talk about."

The White House declined to comment.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-tells-aides-not-talk-publicly-about-russia-policy-moves-n861256
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Trump Tells Aides Not To Talk Publicly About Russia Policy Moves
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:55:00 am »
Two officials said Trump told Putin during a phone call last week after Putin's re-election: "If you want to have an arms race we can do that, but I'll win." Trump added that he hoped that Putin’s comments were just election rhetoric and bragged that he’d just secured a $700 billion defense budget, the largest the U.S. has ever had, he said, according to one of the officials.

So, he makes this call on the 20th, bragging about the defense money, knowing it is included with the upcoming Omnibus Bill.  Two days later, he tries to say he seriously considered vetoing it?  Doubtful.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.