Author Topic: 5 Signs Your Caffeine Habit Is Out of Control - and How to Scale It Back  (Read 470 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
5 Signs Your Caffeine Habit Is Out of Control - and How to Scale It Back
PopSugar Isadora Baum 1 day ago
Signs of Too Much Caffeine © Pexels/Jessica Lewis Signs of Too Much Caffeine

If you're pounding cup after cup of java or even snacking on too many squares of chocolate in the day, you could be taking in more caffeine than your body can handle. When it comes to caffeine intake, you should be fine with around 300 milligrams to 400 milligrams a day, which could be equivalent to three or four cups of coffee. However, any more than that, and you could be going overboard and might encounter some nasty symptoms. Here are a few signs to look out for in terms of whether or not you need to slow down on the caffeine and look for noncaffeinated alternatives for your late-afternoon pick-me-up. (For instance, herbal tea or water with fresh fruit could be just as energizing, without all the caffeine.)

You Can Get Jittery

"Too much caffeine causes a jittery feeling," says Dr. Ashlie Olp, lead physician at Olp Family Medicine of Carmel, IN, to POPSUGAR. "Caffeine stimulates both the central nervous system [CNS] and the autonomic nervous system [ANS]," she says. "The autonomic nervous system works in the periphery and regulates the function of smooth muscle, glands, skin structures, and the function of some internal organs." For example, it controls heart rate, breathing, vascular dilation and constriction, and stomach acid secretion, just to name a few. "When you stimulate the ANS, the heart race will increase, dilate airways, [and] relax smooth muscle (thereby dilating blood vessels, too)," which can result in jitteriness and anxiety, she explains.

You Might Sweat and Have Heart Palpitations

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/5-signs-your-caffeine-habit-is-out-of-control-and-how-to-scale-it-back/ar-BBKDO0p

I've definitely gotten 'muscle twitches' before, I associate with caffeine use but not much else on the negative side.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 02:27:09 pm by TomSea »