Author Topic: David Hogg Got Rejected By Some Major Colleges, Now He’s Dissing Them  (Read 7022 times)

Offline Applewood

I don't know about the 4.2 GPA.  When I was a kid, 4.0 was the highest score,  unless the GPA is calculated differently now. 

The highest SAT score is 1600.  At 1200, I guess Hogg is an A and B student or maybe more Bs than As.  I do know that his score isn't stellar and he most likely would not be accepted at an Ivy League school. 

As for other schools -- most of them are heavily into "diversity."  As a white male, he might be passed over for admission in favor of, say, a black, female LGBT with a lower score. 

"Diversity"  is probably fine with a social justice warrior like Hogg -- except when "diversity" works against him.

Offline LMAO

"Diversity"  is probably fine with a social justice warrior like Hogg -- except when "diversity" works against him.

I  once told my sons that the hardest thing in the world is to live by our own values.  It’s easy to have political positions and moral values until those are applied to ourselves.  If there was some kind of societal calamity,  and young Mr. Hogg’s life  was at stake, he’d be the first one trying to buy a gun
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:32:13 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Concerned

I don't know about the 4.2 GPA.  When I was a kid, 4.0 was the highest score,  unless the GPA is calculated differently now. 

You can now get above a 4.0 GPA based on the Advanced Placement courses you take in high school.  The average GPA for high school students getting into my alma mater (University of Virginia) is reported to be 4.2.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Online kevindavis007

I think it has to do with his attitude and the attention he brings and I don't think any university wants the headache that this a**hole is going to bring, or it could be they have fill some kind of diversity quota and he did go against White privilege.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:47:21 pm by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
You can now get above a 4.0 GPA based on the Advanced Placement courses you take in high school.  The average GPA for high school students getting into my alma mater (University of Virginia) is reported to be 4.2.

Schools grades work today like the volume knob on the Marshall amps  in "This Is Spinal Tap"
You see, most blokes will be playing at 10. You're on 10, all the way up, all the way up...Where can you go from there? Nowhere. What we do, is if we need that extra push over the cliff...Eleven. One louder. ... these go to 11 ...
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
he highest SAT score is 1600.

You are showing your age. I think my son's score was over 1600.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

SAT creep . :cool:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline mountaineer

Highest SAT score when I was in HS (1970s) was 1,600, but I'm pretty sure the test is a lot different now. Back then, 1,200 was a very good score. If it's true the nearly illiterate Mr. Hogg really got a 1,200, then that's probably like a 900 in olden days. I thought most kids took the ACT now, anyway. As for GPA, it's meaningless.  "A" grades are handed out like participation medals in most public schools now.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
They added a third section (a writing section) that could bring a total score as high as 2400. That writing section isn't universally recognized, though. Most of the time when you cite an SAT score, it's just the verbal and math, which still maxes out at 1600.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
1200 today is like a 950 when I went to school. UCLA is not going to admit a white male with that kind of score. He might get into USF or UCF with that score.
My guess is that some big school is going to relax their standards and admit him for the publicity, especially if he announces he plans to major in journalism or Political Science. It could even be an Ivy League school.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
They added a third section (a writing section) that could bring a total score as high as 2400. That writing section isn't universally recognized, though. Most of the time when you cite an SAT score, it's just the verbal and math, which still maxes out at 1600.

Some schools ignore the English section because it limits the number of non-citizens. Many Chinese students just blow it off.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
1200 today is like a 950 when I went to school. UCLA is not going to admit a white male with that kind of score. He might get into USF or UCF with that score.
My guess is that some big school is going to relax their standards and admit him for the publicity, especially if he announces he plans to major in journalism or Political Science. It could even be an Ivy League school.
It sounds like something Harvard would do.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

The highest SAT score is 1600.  At 1200, I guess Hogg is an A and B student or maybe more Bs than As.  I do know that his score isn't stellar and he most likely would not be accepted at an Ivy League school. 

As for other schools -- most of them are heavily into "diversity."  As a white male, he might be passed over for admission in favor of, say, a black, female LGBT with a lower score. 

I'm assuming that a 4.2 is out of 5, so an 84 or a "B".  Probably not good enough to get into a major college.  Especially if one is being hoisted on the leftist petard of "white male privilege".

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
What school would really want this Camera Hogg...he can't be trusted..wrong him and he will publicly turn on you the little fascist that he is.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jpsb

1200 SAT isn't what it used to be. SAT were dumbed down a while back. Academia was
embarrassed by the horrible SAT scores our public school students were getting so they made
the test easier.   

How does one get a GPA of over 4.0
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 02:24:02 pm by jpsb »

Offline jpsb

I'm assuming that a 4.2 is out of 5, so an 84 or a "B".  Probably not good enough to get into a major college.  Especially if one is being hoisted on the leftist petard of "white male privilege".

Nope A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0

Offline LMAO

What school would really want this Camera Hogg...he can't be trusted..wrong him and he will publicly turn on you the little fascist that he is.

Actually, it sounds like he would fit right in in today’s universities
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
1200 SAT isn't what it used to be. SAT were dumbed down a while back. Academia was
embarrassed by the horrible SAT scores our public school students were getting so they made
the test easier.   

How does one get a GPA of over 4.0

Extra points for Advanced Placement.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Concerned

AP classes affect GPA as well — regular classes usually weight an A in a class as a 4.0. But many high schools and colleges give AP classes an additional point. So it's possible to have a 5.0 GPA credit from an AP class. Or, a student could get a B in an AP class but still have a 4.0 GPA. Schools often weight honors classes higher than regular classes as well.

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/community/la-me-edu-a-parent-s-guide-to-ap-classes-20150922-story.html
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I think he was actually in school, hiding. According to what I read, he went home, saw the shooting was getting major media coverage and raced back to school to get noticed.

Yep, I think CBS trolled people by showing part of the clip and leaving out the 'later that night' part they released yesterday. They got a lot of people chasing rabbits down imaginary holes.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Nope: 
You can determine how grades effect your college 5.0 scale grade point average by understanding where GPA comes from. Colleges and universities use GPA as a quick way to describe your overall higher education performance by a single number. GPAs range from a score of 0.0 to 5.0, with 5.0 being given for all A's in applicable coursework. In the 5.0 GPA system, letter grades are given points values with "A" being 5, "B" being 4, "C" being 3, "D" being 4 and an "F" being 0....

https://sciencing.com/calculate-grade-point-average-50-8186411.html

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yep, I think CBS trolled people by showing part of the clip and leaving out the 'later that night' part they released yesterday. They got a lot of people chasing rabbits down imaginary holes.

Yep.   

Offline thackney

Most schools add a point now for taking an honors or gifted/talented level class.  So a B in an honors class equals an A in the average class.

I wish my high school had done this.  Our class valedictorian was a girl who avoided all the hard classes.  All of us taking college prep level classes occasionally got a B.  She didn't.

So still a 4.0 scale, but 5 points awarded for an A in honors english and the like.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

"A" being 5, "B" being 4, "C" being 3, "D" being 4 and an "F" being 0....

I hope that D is a typo.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I hope that D is a typo.

LOL, I didn't catch that.  I'm sure it is.