Author Topic: Going vegan, America could feed an additional 390 million people, study suggests  (Read 387 times)

rangerrebew

Going vegan, America could feed an additional 390 million people, study suggests
March 28, 2018 by Karen Kaplan, Los Angeles Times

More than 41 million Americans find themselves at risk of going hungry at some point during the year, the U.S. Department of Agriculture says.

But it doesn't have to be this way. New research suggests the country could feed all 327 million Americans—plus roughly 390 million more—by focusing on plants.

If U.S. farmers took all the land currently devoted to raising cattle, pigs and chickens and used it to grow plants instead, they could sustain more than twice as many people as they do now, according to a report published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-03-vegan-america-additional-million-people.html#jCp

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
If you think those "41 million" so called hungry people are goint to eat vegetables and greens.....   you are nucking futs.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Cattle are grazed on pasture ground that is often not good for much else for various reasons, whether poor ground or highly erodable.

So yeah let's plant that, dump a bunch of fertilizer on it, and let it all wash away.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Aye, ya could feed em laddie, but it would taste like craap! Hey I know, try it on the "undocumented", I bet they would give some feedback, and maybe if that was what they got for their food stamps they'd think twice about coming!