Author Topic: Trump pushes for added powers in spending fights  (Read 775 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump pushes for added powers in spending fights
« on: March 28, 2018, 12:53:50 am »
By Naomi Jagoda - 03/27/18 08:18 PM EDT

President Trump’s call for a line-item veto of spending bills is the latest example of his frustration with the rules of Washington.

Trump urged Congress to give him the veto power during an event late last week when signing a $1.3 trillion spending bill that included a number of provisions he didn’t like. He also repeated his call for the Senate to end its filibuster rule that means most bills need 60 votes to pass.

“To prevent the omnibus situation from ever happening again, I'm calling on Congress to give me a line-item veto for all government spending bills,” Trump said. “And the Senate must end — they must end the filibuster rule and get down to work.”

more
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/380572-trump-pushes-for-added-powers-in-spending-fights
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Trump pushes for added powers in spending fights
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 12:58:21 am »

Because a veto is too complicated for Donny to handle.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 01:06:41 am »
States often give governors line-item veto power. Iowa has it.

However, for the Federal level I'm not sure where to stand on this. Though I generally favor line-item power, I can see where this could create unintended consequences.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 01:25:39 am »
Line item has already been declared unconstitutional.  The only reason to keep asking for this is expecting a different ruling in the Supreme Court - if they even agree to hear it. That's a reach, because Kennedy, Ginsburg, and Breyer already ruled against it in 1998. If he thinks he's going to get Kagan or Sotomayor on his side, he's nuts.  He'll have to hope one of the previous three retires, before the case is heard.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 06:28:39 am »
Line item has already been declared unconstitutional. 

Yes, but if his administration is actually involved in the crafting of law, then the line item is moot - Because he can present his line-item concerns during that process: If his line items are not rescinded, they can count on a veto.

So more drama, and kabuki theater...