Author Topic: Judge says lawsuit accusing Trump of violating Constitution can proceed  (Read 1073 times)

Offline endicom

Market Watch
Brent Kendall
Mar. 28, 2018

WASHINGTON — A federal judge refused Wednesday to dismiss a lawsuit alleging President Donald Trump is violating the Constitution because his businesses are benefiting from his presidency, the first ruling to find that a litigant can sue the president on the issue.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Peter Messitte found the state of Maryland and the District of Columbia had standing to bring claims against Trump, who hasn’t divested his business holdings. The plaintiffs allege Trump is violating constitutional clauses that prohibit the president from receiving emoluments — things of value — from foreign or state governments.

More... https://www.marketwatch.com/story/judge-says-lawsuit-accusing-trump-of-violating-constitution-can-proceed-2018-03-28

Offline Frank Cannon

All you need to know about this creep in a black robe....

On August 6, 1993, Messitte was nominated by President Bill Clinton to a seat on the United States District Court for the District of Maryland vacated by Joseph C. Howard, Sr. Messitte was confirmed by the United States Senate on October 18, 1993, and received his commission on October 20, 1993. He assumed senior status on September 1, 2008.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I've always felt this lawsuit was a backdoor attempt to get at his tax returns.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline DB

I've always felt this lawsuit was a backdoor attempt to get at his tax returns.

The returns he said he was gong to release before he changed his mind?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
They'd better be very careful about this kind of stuff.  Just think of all the things that government officials could be sued for for being unconstitutional. 

Offline Fantom

Meh....  :shrug: don't care.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline DB

Meh....  :shrug: don't care.

Right... After so many lies, what's another one...

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Yes, those....under never ending audit.  Nobody ever seriously believed he would and they took glee in the fact he never did, since it made the MSM crazy.  There’s no legal requirement for him to do so, therefore, I’m not terribly worried about it.  I have no doubt they would show he’s not worth anywhere near the $10B he claimed in the primary.  I do, however, object to the blatantly transparent tactic to get them released.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
All you need to know about this creep in a black robe....

On August 6, 1993, Messitte was nominated by President Bill Clinton to a seat on the United States District Court for the District of Maryland vacated by Joseph C. Howard, Sr. Messitte was confirmed by the United States Senate on October 18, 1993, and received his commission on October 20, 1993. He assumed senior status on September 1, 2008.

Seems to be lots of creeps in black robes.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Frank Cannon

Seems to be lots of creeps in black robes.

Especially since they are nude under them.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Judge says lawsuit accusing Trump of violating Constitution can proceed
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 11:55:05 pm »
Especially since they are nude under them.

Not a visual I need going into a courtroom!   :silly:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 12:08:58 am »

I do not care because it is none of our business. It is not a requirement in our Constitution.

What is a requirement is being a US citizen with certain other requirements. A birth certificate is something that is our business. Get back to me when obama produces a real one.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 12:14:04 am »
Not a visual I need going into a courtroom!   :silly:

My speech instructor in school destroyed my career as a public speaker. I was always nevoust to give a speech, he said..."When you go out, stand in front of the podium and visualize everyone sitting out there naked."

Now I cannot give a speech where I do not laugh hysterically...."Oh look, that looks like a penis...only smaller... "  well you get the problem now.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 12:22:14 am »

Fantom is right, it really doesn't matter now.  When it did matter was in the candidate selection process.  And, you remember how that went.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 12:49:19 am »
They'd better be very careful about this kind of stuff.  Just think of all the things that government officials could be sued for for being unconstitutional.

Oh Noes!

Do you mean to say there's actually something that could make becoming a Government Official LESS ATTRACTIVE?

We could end up without Enough of these lying, thieving woodpeckers to keep robbing us and kicking us back into line?
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline WilliamVA

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 01:40:12 am »
I thought it was a bit funny, the article I read said that most of the complaint was thrown out,
those portions allegedly filed by DC and MD, due to a lack of standing.  What remains is complaints
by DC hotels apparently, complaining that the Trump International Hotel in DC is the most often chosen
Hotel by Foreign Diplomats, over their establishments.   

Offline endicom

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 02:45:30 am »
I thought it was a bit funny, the article I read said that most of the complaint was thrown out,
those portions allegedly filed by DC and MD, due to a lack of standing.  What remains is complaints
by DC hotels apparently, complaining that the Trump International Hotel in DC is the most often chosen

Thanks. Doesn't look like much of a complaint.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 03:32:46 am »

Oh Dear Lord!  :rolling: They want to impeach him for having a more attractive hotel than his competitors?

What does this come under? Unfairly Restraining Trade?

Unequal distribution of income is now (so long as it's Trump) an impeachable offense?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:33:03 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com