Author Topic: Trump pushing Pentagon to pay for border wall: report  (Read 2146 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump pushing Pentagon to pay for border wall: report
« on: March 27, 2018, 09:02:51 pm »
By Avery Anapol - 03/27/18 01:02 PM EDT

President Trump is privately pushing for the Pentagon to pay for his proposed border wall between the U.S. and Mexico, according to a new report.

The Washington Post reports that Trump made the suggestion to several advisers last week, saying it was a "national security" issue that the wall be funded.

Trump reportedly told Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) in a meeting last week that the military should pay for the wall. Ryan offered little reaction to the idea while senior Capitol Hill officials called its prospects unlikely, the newspaper reported.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/380476-trump-pushing-pentagon-to-pay-for-border-wall-report
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: Trump pushing Pentagon to pay for border wall: report
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 09:21:15 pm »
??? That's absurd.  I'm not quite understanding why he's making a claim that there isn't any money.  What am I missing?  The FY 2018 President’s Budget for DHS provides $44.1 billion in net discretionary funding.  So use the darn discretionary money to build additional wall!!  Whether or not the money was appropriated for the wall or not, can't the president use his discretionary funds as he sees fit??  Additional wall would cost appx. $10 billion, so he'd really only be using a slight portion of the discretionary fund!!  For Pete sake get the darn thing built, unless that was really never his intent!

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/DHS%20FY18%20BIB%20Final.pdf
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 09:31:40 pm »
   Perhaps Trump's got something on Mattis BIGGER than Stormy, McDougal and Kushner?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 09:35:05 pm »
By Avery Anapol - 03/27/18 01:02 PM EDT

President Trump is privately pushing for the Pentagon to pay for his proposed border wall between the U.S. and Mexico, according to a new report.

Who'd a-thunk it?  (sarc\)

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 09:37:21 pm »
   Perhaps Trump's got something on Mattis BIGGER than Stormy, McDougal and Kushner?

With Trump, anything is possible, but IMHO, unless I'm not understanding the meaning of discretionary, he has the funds.  Why isn't he using them?  To me he's out and out lying saying that Congress hasn't put the money in the budget.  They didn't specifically allocate monies for additional wall, but he's got a discretionary budget.  He needs to use itl. For someone who's savvy with money, he's got to know that the money is there.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 09:44:00 pm »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 10:38:26 pm »
Sure Trump said a lot of things during his campaign, with one of them being Mexico would pay for it.  But ... back to my question; why can't he take some of  his 'discretionary' money and pay for the wall?  He has more than enough.  With the money in that fund he could build one heck of a wall.

Offline ABX

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 10:44:58 pm »
Sure Trump said a lot of things during his campaign, with one of them being Mexico would pay for it.  But ... back to my question; why can't he take some of  his 'discretionary' money and pay for the wall?  He has more than enough.  With the money in that fund he could build one heck of a wall.

Most discretionary is allotted to specific departments and projects.  It is how much of his staff is paid along with things like trips (all those golf trips beyond personal expenses come out of that for example). The same thing is true for most of the government's so-called discretionary budget. I remember a while back it was revealed the VA's discretionary budget was taken up 80% or so by medical costs.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 12:05:55 am »
If a wall ever gets built, it's not getting done with funds from this omnibus.  The bill is the egg whites, his tweets are the sugar. Now, he's whipping up a meringue.  The clown is going to hit you with another pie in the face, if you believe this.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:06:32 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 12:16:11 am »
Most discretionary is allotted to specific departments and projects.  It is how much of his staff is paid along with things like trips (all those golf trips beyond personal expenses come out of that for example). The same thing is true for most of the government's so-called discretionary budget. I remember a while back it was revealed the VA's discretionary budget was taken up 80% or so by medical costs.

Come on.  We're talking $44 BILLIOLN+ in excess of monies allocated to the different departments; i.e., border patrol, border security (including $$ repair the existing wall), disaster relief, INS, TSA, etc., within the DHS. I find it really hard to believe that he can't take $10 BILLION out of that discretionary budget and build a wall.  I'm leaning toward he knows darn well has has the money.  I'm not buying lack of funding anymore.

If we just take a look at the budget for the Secret Service for FY 2018:  ALSO NOTE:  They are also given discretionary $$.

Budget Request:
$2,208,626,000

Discretionary Request:
$1,943,626,000

Mandatory Request:
$265,000,000

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/DHS%20FY18%20BIB%20Final.pdf
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:23:28 am by libertybele »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 12:20:36 am »
If a wall ever gets built, it's not getting done with funds from this omnibus.  The bill is the egg whites, his tweets are the sugar. Now, he's whipping up a meringue.  The clown is going to hit you with another pie in the face, if you believe this.

I stopped believing that the wall was going to get built awhile ago; that was nothing more than a campaign ploy.  Trump knew it was a hot issue, and he ran on it.  It catapulted his campaign, and it won him the presidency.  All I am saying, is I think his supporters need to wake and realize that they've been duped. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 01:05:25 am »
I don't care who builds it or who pays for it.

I just want to see it done.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 01:22:00 am »
I don't care who builds it or who pays for it.

I just want to see it done.

As does everyone.  I just don't see it happening.

Offline corbe

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 01:46:06 am »
   I think it's a safe assumption He won't be taking Russian/Chinese Bids on this one.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 01:52:22 am »
I'll give him credit for the parts of the wall that are necessarily see through. They did an amazing job on that. It's like they're not even there.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 02:19:10 am »

If he builds it they will pay.  Mexico will be losing that much and more probably.  Mexicans send their money home.

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 06:46:00 pm »

@AbaraXas

The MEXICAN pentagon will pay for the wall. duh!

Offline ABX

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 07:09:02 pm »
If he builds it they will pay.  Mexico will be losing that much and more probably.  Mexicans send their money home.

A wall is not magically going to stop exportation of money. That part is a lot more complicated than most people realize.

First of all, most money sent from the US to Mexico is not sent by illegals but by legal immigrants and citizens.

It is also sent through private channels- direct mail or wire transfer like Western Union. 

To impact expatriated money would be a lot bigger of an issue than just a wall. Hell, in reality a wall would barely make a dent in the illegal immigration issue- far less than people realize.

To impact money being sent would require a fundamental change in how we view these transactions, we would almost have to treat Mexico like a terrorist state and put blocks on it. Otherwise we would be impacting private citizen's transactions and making the currency the property of the government first.

This is one of those hyperbole issues that don't have a practical solution.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 11:10:13 pm »
I'll give him credit for the parts of the wall that are necessarily see through. They did an amazing job on that. It's like they're not even there.

888high58888   Abracadabra.  Simply amazing isn't it?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 11:11:51 pm »
@AbaraXas

The MEXICAN pentagon will pay for the wall. duh!

Oh, ok.  So that's what Trump meant.  Got it!   :rolling:

Offline edpc

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 11:50:03 pm »
If he was really going to build the wall with defense money, he’d be 24/7 non-stop bragging about how he got over on congress.  Instead, he’s tossing out ambiguous BS to change the media focus from Daniels and his legal woes.  He’s moved on from wall talk to pushing another massive expenditure tomorrow in Ohio.

Trump to visit Ohio to pitch $1.5T U.S. infrastructure plan

March 28 (UPI) -- President Donald Trump is preparing to travel to northern Ohio to promote his ambitious, trillion-dollar plan to upgrade the nation's roadways, airports and bridges, the White House said Wednesday.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018/03/28/Trump-to-visit-Ohio-to-pitch-15T-US-infrastructure-plan/8241522257790/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:51:48 pm by edpc »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 11:53:46 pm »
If he was really going to build the wall with defense money, he’d be 24/7 non-stop bragging about how he got over on congress.  Instead, he’s tossing out ambiguous BS to change the media focus from Daniels and his legal woes.  He’s moved on from wall talk to pushing another massive expenditure tomorrow in Ohio.

Trump to visit Ohio to pitch $1.5T U.S. infrastructure plan

March 28 (UPI) -- President Donald Trump is preparing to travel to northern Ohio to promote his ambitious, trillion-dollar plan to upgrade the nation's roadways, airports and bridges, the White House said Wednesday.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018/03/28/Trump-to-visit-Ohio-to-pitch-15T-US-infrastructure-plan/8241522257790/

...hmm... gee...perhaps build a few less bridges and highways and build the darn wall.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 01:28:33 am »
A wall is not magically going to stop exportation of money. That part is a lot more complicated than most people realize.

First of all, most money sent from the US to Mexico is not sent by illegals but by legal immigrants and citizens.

It is also sent through private channels- direct mail or wire transfer like Western Union. 

To impact expatriated money would be a lot bigger of an issue than just a wall. Hell, in reality a wall would barely make a dent in the illegal immigration issue- far less than people realize.

To impact money being sent would require a fundamental change in how we view these transactions, we would almost have to treat Mexico like a terrorist state and put blocks on it. Otherwise we would be impacting private citizen's transactions and making the currency the property of the government first.

This is one of those hyperbole issues that don't have a practical solution.

It won't stop it of course but less illegal immigrants coming in is less sending money back into Mexico.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 01:30:52 am »
...hmm... gee...perhaps build a few less bridges and highways and build the darn wall.

The spending bill funds some new tunnel from New Jersey to New York under the Hudson river.  Trump had said that he would not sign it if they funded it but Trump never means what he says.  The American people have been duped.