Author Topic: Former Supreme Court justice: ‘Repeal the Second Amendment’  (Read 53391 times)

Offline Axeslinger

Re: Former Supreme Court justice: ‘Repeal the Second Amendment’
« Reply #625 on: April 05, 2018, 06:51:59 pm »
Quick translation of @Axeslinger 's post:  Dear Briefers ~ Please put @Jazzhead on ignore so he finally leaves the forum.   I'm damn tired of losing *every* debate point to him.  XOXO from your Axe

Oh look @Right_in_Virginia must’ve got a private message to come save JH.  Go read the whole thread dear and then get back to me.  The only thing @Jazzhead has done is prove he is another anti-freedom statist.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #626 on: April 05, 2018, 06:57:48 pm »
What "facts" are you referring to?   Your profanity-laced posts constitute opinions, not facts. 

And why don't you take your own advice and put me on ignore?   Stop responding to my posts - you'll feel much better for it.   :tongue2:

Your whole damn argument is nothing but opinion and you ignore every fact put in front of you!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:13:06 pm by mystery-ak »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #627 on: April 05, 2018, 07:07:43 pm »
Your whole damn argument is nothing but opinion and you ignore every fact put in front of you!

Bite me, statist.

What facts have I ignored?   Do you know the difference between opinions and facts? 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #628 on: April 05, 2018, 07:08:56 pm »
Quick translation of @Axeslinger 's post:  Dear Briefers ~ Please put @Jazzhead on ignore so he finally leaves the forum.   I'm damn tired of losing *every* debate point to him.  XOXO from your Axe

:cool:

Offline Mod1

« Reply #629 on: April 05, 2018, 07:53:08 pm »
This is so far off topic I don't think it can be gotten back on track.  We'll give it a few more comments to see.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #630 on: April 05, 2018, 07:57:36 pm »
Oh look @Right_in_Virginia must’ve got a private message to come save JH.  Go read the whole thread dear and then get back to me.  The only thing @Jazzhead has done is prove he is another anti-freedom statist.

@Axeslinger some people here tend to apply the philosophy of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

That's true in this case.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #631 on: April 05, 2018, 07:58:09 pm »
What facts have I ignored?   Do you know the difference between opinions and facts?

Indeed we DO!  We've ben offering facts and you've bene offering opinion.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #632 on: April 05, 2018, 08:00:00 pm »
This is so far off topic I don't think it can be gotten back on track.  We'll give it a few more comments to see.

IMO - The topic thread is retired Justice Stevens' op-ed calling for repeal of the 2A.  Stevens is also the author of one of the dissenting opinions in Heller,  and therefore represents the perspective that Heller was wrongly decided.  The discussion, IMO, remains on-topic - whether Heller is indeed on fragile ground and whether conservatives should try to codify Heller to bolster its legitimacy.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #633 on: April 05, 2018, 08:01:08 pm »
Indeed we DO!  We've ben offering facts and you've bene offering opinion.

Again - what "facts" have I ignored?   

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #634 on: April 05, 2018, 08:02:51 pm »

The words Shall Not Be Infringed for starters.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #635 on: April 05, 2018, 08:07:31 pm »
IMO - The topic thread is retired Justice Stevens' op-ed calling for repeal of the 2A.  Stevens is also the author of one of the dissenting opinions in Heller,  and therefore represents the perspective that Heller was wrongly decided.  The discussion, IMO, remains on-topic - whether Heller is indeed on fragile ground and whether conservatives should try to codify Heller to bolster its legitimacy.

Nice try.  There is one person still beating Heller's dead horse.  We've all heard the arguments over a dozen times now.  I wouldn't blame Mod1 if he just junks this right now, it's toast.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #636 on: April 05, 2018, 08:13:07 pm »
I got a $20 that says this trainwreck thread will outlive Stevens himself.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #637 on: April 05, 2018, 08:16:39 pm »
Don't forget "...of the People...", either, which denotes an individual Right.

From there, the idea that one would have the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, but only not in self-defense, is as ludicrous as it appears. Heller was only an issue because the DC Government was stupid enough to make such an assertion against a natural and unalienable Right. That the issue had not been before the SCOTUS before only is a measure of how far the Republic has presently slid into the abyss.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #638 on: April 05, 2018, 08:17:56 pm »

The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Pp. 2–53.

The core holding in D.C. v. Heller is that the Second Amendment is an individual right intimately tied to the natural right of self-defense

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #639 on: April 05, 2018, 08:21:47 pm »

I get such a kick out of counting the myriad ways you can be wrong.

Please don't stop posting @Axeslinger  ... you tickle my funny bone!   88devil

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #640 on: April 05, 2018, 08:26:39 pm »
I got a $20 that says this trainwreck thread will outlive Stevens himself.

ROFL!!!   :silly:

You are on a roll today @Frank Cannon

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 08:27:28 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #641 on: April 06, 2018, 01:01:02 pm »
As well as the facts of all the instances where gun registration has led to confiscation.

Lawyers love opinions, not facts.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #642 on: April 06, 2018, 02:44:35 pm »
As well as the facts of all the instances where gun registration has led to confiscation.

Lawyers love opinions, not facts.

And what of the facts of all the MANY instances where gun registration has NOT led to confiscation?

It is OPINION, not fact, that registration is a slippery slope to confiscation.   But what we ought to be able to agree on is the need to fix the Second Amendment so that the Constitution can effectively stand as a bulwark against such slippery slope.  And yes, that's my opinion.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #643 on: April 06, 2018, 02:47:42 pm »
The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Pp. 2–53.

The core holding in D.C. v. Heller is that the Second Amendment is an individual right intimately tied to the natural right of self-defense

Yes, those are the facts of the majority holding in Heller.  But I've never had an issue with the holding, only its fragility given the dissenting opinions and the goal of the Democrats to appoint Court members who will,  when the issue is before it again,  follow the dissent's view that the predicate clause is not merely prefatory.   

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #644 on: April 06, 2018, 02:51:15 pm »
It is OPINION, not fact, that registration is a slippery slope to confiscation. 

And Satan would have everyone believe he doesn't exist either.

...follow the dissent's view that the predicate clause is not merely prefatory.   

F*ck the dissenting view.  It's worthless as you yourself have claimed in cases involving abortion and the dissent in ObamaCare's mandate.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #645 on: April 06, 2018, 02:59:37 pm »
And what of the facts of all the MANY instances where gun registration has NOT led to confiscation?

Please by all means show us the long lists of places where registration hasn't lead to confiscation.

It is OPINION, not fact, that registration is a slippery slope to confiscation.   

That right there is 100% pure blind and willful ignorance to the long list of countries you've been shown...not to mention a couple of states in the U.S. repeatedly...where registration has led to confiscation.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #646 on: April 06, 2018, 03:04:32 pm »

That right there is 100% pure blind and willful ignorance to the long list of countries you've been shown...not to mention a couple of states in the U.S. repeatedly...where registration has led to confiscation.

Deerfield, IL right now.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #647 on: April 06, 2018, 03:05:09 pm »

F*ck the dissenting view.  It's worthless as you yourself have claimed in cases involving abortion and the dissent in ObamaCare's mandate.

It's worthless unless and until the composition of the Court changes.   SoCons have been agitating for forty years now to change the composition of the Court for the specific purpose of overturning Roe v. Wade.   If the Dems win the Presidency in 2020 (something you yourself have been long working for),  and a couple of SCOTUS members die or resign, than say goodbye to Heller and goodbye to the Constitution's protection of your gun right.   

Offline Mod1

« Reply #648 on: April 06, 2018, 03:14:05 pm »
If the Dems win the Presidency in 2020 (something you yourself have been long working for)....   

Knock it off.  Nobody here is trying to help the Dems.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #649 on: April 06, 2018, 03:54:47 pm »

It is OPINION, not fact, that registration is a slippery slope to confiscation.   But what we ought to be able to agree on is the need to fix the Second Amendment so that the Constitution can effectively stand as a bulwark against such slippery slope.  And yes, that's my opinion.   
I have repeatedly asked you to provide those examples where registration has not led to confiscation. Numerous examples, foreign and domestic exist which refute that concept and show that registration ultimately leads to confiscation of privately held firearms. So, Have at it. Let's have that list of MANY instances where it hasn't (yet).

The Second Amendment exists for the sole purpose of keeping the right OF THE PEOPLE  to keep and bear arms free of government interference, because its purpose was to ensure that the people retained their power by being capable of altering or abolishing that government if it became abusive and it became necessary. In the 18th century, the carrying and possession of arms for other lawful purposes such as self defense and hunting was a given, so universally understood there was no need to codify such. it was, after all "common sense". (As John Prine put it, "Common sense ain't so common any more.")

In the federalist Papers, it is laid out in the discussion of the standing federal Army, that while each State had its own army (Militia, in the parlance of the day), the Federal Army should be large enough to defend our States' mutual borders, to intervene in military conflicts between any of the several states, but small enough as to not be able to overwhelm the combined efforts of all of the states. While much of that structure was changed due to the War of Northern Aggression, the principle remained that that Federal Army (or any of the States' armies) would be held in check from becoming instruments of tyrannical oppression by the sheer force of arms which could be mustered by the population at large, which by force of individual arms and overwhelming numbers, even in the absence of martial training, would be enough to deter such attempts at that tyrannical imposition.

For that purpose, the 2nd Amendment was crafted, that the People could regulate (control) the actions of the Government, not vice-versa, and that the government would not interfere with that ability.

All that need be done for the Constitution to act as a bulwark against the slippery slope is to quit greasing that slope with the mindless drivel of those who would disarm us all, for whatever motive, with the inevitable (even if unintended) consequence of totalitarian oppression. Liberals are famous for not thinking things out, for having starry-eyed theories that ignore salient points which inevitably have disastrous and unforeseen (by the liberals) results, when implemented. The social experiment of LBJ's Great Society is a textbook case, if the liberals were honest enough to print it for what it is. There is no reason to believe the loose manure of liberalism will in any way improve upon the traction on the slope of social decline, and the meaning of the Founders and their intent is plain for any who wish to read it.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 03:57:30 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis