Author Topic: Former Supreme Court justice: ‘Repeal the Second Amendment’  (Read 53390 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Former Supreme Court justice: ‘Repeal the Second Amendment’
« Reply #350 on: March 30, 2018, 01:36:26 am »

I really like the shiny pants.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:37:29 am by Sanguine »

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #351 on: March 30, 2018, 01:38:34 am »
The design of a reasonable and affordable insurance regime is crucial. 

That's what they said about health insurance, too.  How's that working out?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #352 on: March 30, 2018, 01:40:34 am »

We just need to put some really smart experts in charge.  Yugely smart.  Only the best people.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #353 on: March 30, 2018, 01:41:43 am »
Or maybe, perhaps, they just simply disagree with you

That's fine,  but I've seen little explanation from anyone why they're so cocksure that Heller can't be overturned.   All I here is ranting about how Republicans can't be trusted, Republicans are no different than Democrats,  Republicans are bums who've betrayed conservatism, blah blah blah.

Heed my words or ignore them - if conservatives don't motivate themselves to unite to vote for Republicans for Congress and the Presidency, and the Dems take over both by 2020, then the Heller decision is toast and so are your gun rights.   If you care about your gun rights,  IMO there is nothing more crucial than CODIFYING Heller.   Stevens - remember?  the tread topic? - is the author of the dissenting opinion in Heller.  Read it.  Know well the consequences of conservatives bragging about abandoning the GOP.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #354 on: March 30, 2018, 01:43:26 am »

It's working about as well as the Phillies bullpen did this afternoon.  Congrats, PT, on your Braves getting a walk-off win against the worst example of two-bit amateur managing I've ever seen.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #355 on: March 30, 2018, 01:45:16 am »
Well, that explains a lot.  You're supposed to sip it.  Slowly.

LOL! 888high58888

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #356 on: March 30, 2018, 01:45:35 am »
It's working about as well as the Phillies bullpen did this afternoon.  Congrats, PT, on your Braves getting a walk-off win against the worst example of two-bit amateur managing I've ever seen.

Thank you!
 :beer:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #357 on: March 30, 2018, 01:47:15 am »

I really like the shiny pants.
and I thought that was Michael Dukakis trying to hip-hop.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #358 on: March 30, 2018, 01:47:52 am »
Thank you!
 :beer:

Beer back atcha  :beer:   Markakis hit the snot out that pitch.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #359 on: March 30, 2018, 01:49:20 am »
Beer back atcha  :beer:   Markakis hit the snot out that pitch.

He sure did. It was beautiful!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #360 on: March 30, 2018, 01:56:19 am »
He sure did. It was beautiful!

D-backs opener is in about 15 minutes.  It looks like we have almost the whole team back from last year, and I thought we did pretty well with it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #361 on: March 30, 2018, 01:57:11 am »
Highland Park 12 sounds like a bunch of Chicago ‘yutes’ on trial.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #362 on: March 30, 2018, 01:59:30 am »
D-backs opener is in about 15 minutes.  It looks like we have almost the whole team back from last year, and I thought we did pretty well with it.

D-Backs will win the West this year.   A very good team.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #363 on: March 30, 2018, 02:03:10 am »
Highland Park 12 sounds like a bunch of Chicago ‘yutes’ on trial.

Lightly peated Scotch whisky from the Orkney Islands.  Honey in a glass. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #364 on: March 30, 2018, 02:07:44 am »
Roamer has bragged about buying his guns off the back of a truck.   Sorry,  but think the community deserves better.  Gunowners should be responsible for the dangerous implements they choose to own,  and to do that there has to be a means of assigning firearms to their responsible owners.   If a registered gun is stolen,  the owner will have every incentive to report it to the police.   Not so much when he's bought the thing off the back of a truck.

Well guess what... Ol Roamer is going to continue to buy his guns 'off the back of a truck'... I don't think I have had more than two or three guns registurd over the counter in my whole life. And I have a fair chunk more than two in my possession.

SO what now? Because near everyone I know is just like me.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #365 on: March 30, 2018, 02:09:05 am »

Yeah, but Jazz has been huffing it instead of properly honoring a fine whiskey.

Offline edpc

« Reply #366 on: March 30, 2018, 02:16:52 am »

I prefer the unpeated Speyside types, like MacCallan.  I'd be willing to try lightly peated.  The full peat just tastes too much like a campfire in a glass for me.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #367 on: March 30, 2018, 02:27:25 am »

I prefer the unpeated Speyside types, like MacCallan.  I'd be willing to try lightly peated.  The full peat just tastes too much like a campfire in a glass for me.

I agree with you.  I open up a bottle of the smoky stuff,  and it stays open for a year.   I'm just rarely in the mood for it.   Highland Park because of its subtlety is a highly effective peat injection - honeyed, not medical waste. 

I tend to prefer Speysiders too, although for me the sine qua non is the Balvenie.   MaCallan is great, but I prefer an unpeated whiskey aged in bourbon barrels rather than sherry casks.  Well, at least some of the time.   Mrs. Jazz bought me a bottle of MaCallan for my birthday,  and by golly it is one tasty pour.   

Offline LMAO

« Reply #368 on: March 30, 2018, 02:29:19 am »
You guys are elitists

Happiness is a good, locally brewed, craft beer :tongue2:
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #369 on: March 30, 2018, 02:31:16 am »
You guys are elitists

Well, there's no reason to be elitist.  I'll just huff a Highland Park with a Yuengling chaser. 

Offline edpc

« Reply #370 on: March 30, 2018, 02:32:15 am »
You guys are elitists

No argument from me.  Just had this last night and liked it.....

Offline Meldrew

« Reply #371 on: March 30, 2018, 06:02:57 am »
@Jazzhead
Do you have a background in public policy such that you'd care at all about what some schlub on the internet has to say about the nuts and bolts of legislation? 

I was interested because your view is really an outlier.  I've seen the recent rise in folks wanting to change or abolish the 2nd, I've seen folks want registration but I've never seen anyone say they were a supporter of the second but want registration.  I thought perhaps you had a unique perspective you'd thought through. 

if you're truly interested in the design of a liability regime for firearms,  then say so and ask the questions you like.  I'll try my best to respond.

Well here, try these:

From my post #70 on this thread - "What is the purpose of registration if not to document ownership and location? Why would you want to help a tyranny take your rights? And even assuming you do, what do citizens get in return other than more tyranny?"

From my post #152 on this thread - "Besides the revenue possibilities, what is the utility to the state of registering and licensing cars and how would that utility be manifested by registering and licensing guns?  "

From my post #319 on this thread - "Could you please take a moment to explain how the "license and registration" that you've talked about earlier leads to the owner being "legally responsible for the harm caused by the dangerous implements you choose to own" on a physical, practical basis.  I fill out a form, what's on it?  Where does that info go, a govt database? You pull a projectile from a body, how do you trace it back to the purchaser?  Is the purchaser the perp?  How do you know?  If the owner's not the perp, what's the liability? What protections are in the legislation that you admire that keep whatever data you collect from being used for confiscation or punitive taxation?  "

You know, it takes a special kind of somethin' to ignore my posts and questions several times then turn around and and tell me that if I have questions just ask and you'll make an effort to answer them.  Well, don't put yourself out.  I'm unlikely to give anything you'd say any consideration. I've plenty of evidence now that it's easier and more accurate to just go with the conventional wisdom conception of you around here.  As my sainted father used to say "I've seen ducks make bubbles in water before".
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 06:05:38 am by Meldrew »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #372 on: March 30, 2018, 07:53:31 am »
You know, it takes a special kind of somethin' to ignore my posts and questions several times then turn around and and tell me that if I have questions just ask and you'll make an effort to answer them.

@Meldrew he's a lawyer. They specialize in talking in circles like that.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #373 on: March 30, 2018, 11:11:38 am »
@Meldrew,  thanks for restating your questions.   I disagree with you that I "ignored" them;  to the contrary I've already addressed most of them.   But this weekend when I have time I'll return and reply specifically to you.   

I don't believe it is unusual at all for a 2A supporter to also see the wisdom in the reasonable, efficacious regulation of firearms.   What may be the disconnect is that I support Constitutional protection of the individual right to defend one's person, family and property,  while most  of the others here see the right as a bulwark against "tyranny" - and not King George,  but the American community that is concerned about gun violence and dares to take the position that gun owners have an obligation to act responsibly!   

You apparently see the concerns of your fellow citizens as tyrannical,  and you refuse to  comply with their reasonable request that you account for and register your arms.   You see registration as inevitably leading to confiscation,  and I think - in the American context - that that's a slap in the face to our Constitutional Republic,  the greatest experiment in representative self-government that has ever been devised.   

What is your objection to the principle that we are a nation of laws and not of men?   I simply do not understand the legitimacy of this claimed gun-owner's veto.   Yes, an armed man can refuse to comply with the laws passed by the peoples' elected representatives,  and shoot dead the peoples' representatives sent to enforce such laws.   But I can think of few attitudes more fundamentally un-American.     
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:40:40 am by Jazzhead »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #374 on: March 30, 2018, 12:54:52 pm »
@Meldrew I see he did it again.  Ignored all your points and questions and simply restated his positions.  You really did give it a good try, trying to push a piece of spaghetti through a keyhole.
I will NOT comply.