Author Topic: Former Supreme Court justice: ‘Repeal the Second Amendment’  (Read 53360 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Former Supreme Court justice: ‘Repeal the Second Amendment’
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2018, 10:06:09 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2018, 10:08:02 pm »

And it did so by first finding, for the first time in 200 years, that the 2A protected that individual right.   

Are you comfortable that future courts will follow Heller?   And you certain that future courts won't rule that the reach of the 2A right is constrained by the predicate clause?   I'm not.

My message is very simple.  Don't be so smug that you know what the 2A means.  Constitutional interpretation by reference to the Federalist Papers is a minority view these days,  even by conservative jurists like Justice Thomas.   The wording of the 2A is flawed,  and it is foolish IMO to rely on one SCOTUS opinion to secure your right.  The Heller opinion needs to be ratified by the People.     
Really, must you continue that fervent babbling when @Smokin Joe already made such a coherent rebuttal?

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,309647.msg1643497.html#msg1643497
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2018, 10:22:10 pm »
I seem to recall instances, at least in movies, whereby frontier town sheriffs imposed "no guns" allowed in their jurisdiction.

So when the "rowdies" came off the range, to town to get wasted drunk and play poker, they were disarmed.

Read some articles for yourselves

https://www.google.com/search?num=20&newwindow=1&source=hp&ei=G7m6WqGvINicjwPqsL_ADw&q=no+guns+in+western+towns&oq=no+guns+in+western+towns&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30k1.1488.6956.0.7369.25.24.0.0.0.0.187.2343.15j9.24.0..2..0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.24.2338.0..0j46j35i39k1j0i131k1j0i46k1.0.Bmplz84FNLc
True enough, when the cowhands came into town after a drive, spent their pay on seldom available (otherwise) endless beer and liquor, and had the occasion to find (often alcohol fueled) conflict with those from their own or other outfits, the opportunities for conflict were unreal. Some towns did have no guns policies enforced by someone ( a marshal, sheriff, or deputies) with a gun.

Still, today, there are nearly universal serious restrictions on possessing (carrying) firearms while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs, especially for concealed carry permit holders, and in some jurisdictions, on carrying them in establishments which serve alcoholic beverages, still enforced by people who carry guns as part of their job.
That, of course, is as effective as a gun free school zone (with the exception of the proprietor or their employees who may be armed in some cases) at protecting the patrons as the management at Luby's was.

However, many of those "wild west" towns were not even in States (yet) but territories, and the level of violence is often exaggerated. When everyone is armed, people exhibit a distinct tendency to be polite, at least in rural areas.

That said, I feel safer in the hinterlands where the actions of predators are relatively predictable over the unpredictable and sometimes random violence of any modern urban area--not that I will ever give up my guns.

Regardless of such distractions, the purpose of the 2nd Amendment was so that a Government which exceeded the consent of the governed and was outside the boundaries of its just powers could be constrained, and, if necessary, changed. For this purpose, primarily, to secure the Rights, to guarantee the security of a Free State, the people were to be armed and that Right sacrosanct.

The concepts of hunting and self-defense against any predator were so fundamental they never entered into the question.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:33:43 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2018, 10:30:28 pm »
Any word on whether Stevens liked Roy Moore or not?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2018, 10:34:26 pm »
Dunno, but it is irrelevant. I doubt Roy would ever swing that way.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2018, 10:35:10 pm »

Only as a friend.  Roy had other ideas after their dinner at Catfish Cabin.  That got Moore banned from the Washington Mall.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:40:11 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2018, 10:43:07 pm »
Registration does not equal confiscation.   

I does in my book and we will not comply.

You are going to have to empower your government to initiate a bloodbath to try and enforce any of this shit you are advocating.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2018, 10:54:05 pm »
Registration does not equal confiscation.   Be honest in your arguments, sir.
Okay: In virtually every jurisdiction in which firearms have been registered, at least some of them have been confiscated. Yes, Virginia, even in California with the 'assault weapon' registration, all they had to do was change the interpretation of the definition. In Australia, semiautomatic weapons and those which held too many cartridges were rounded up and destroyed.

In Canada, when the long gun registry was attempted, taking a cue from Americans, or perhaps inherently deciding that historically, registration precedes confiscation of at least some long arms, the Canadians refused in a massive act of non-compliance, so widespread that the Government gave up on the program after considerable overruns in cost and time.

Now, the reason I bring those up is that those are governments which find at least some commonality with America, and not the generally Marxist or Fascist examples which were far more brutal in their confiscation and the results thereof.

Traditionally, slaves have never been armed, serfs were unarmed, citizens, however were, and need ask no one's permission to exercise that Right.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2018, 10:56:08 pm »
I don't know why folks here argue with Jasshead. I put him on ignore quite a while back.
You're wasting your collective breaths, unless you enjoy the sound of your own typing.

Regarding Stevens on the Second, he's old and senile, and an example of the "kind of Justices" that Republican presidents of the past had to nominate to get by democrat-communist controlled Senates.

Regarding the Second Amendment -- at some point in our future, its "future" will depend on shootin' -- the REAL kind, not that of mouths poppin' off.

Can't say just when that will happen.
But... it's coming.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2018, 10:58:49 pm »
I don't know why folks here argue with Jasshead. I put him on ignore quite a while back.
You're wasting your collective breaths, unless you enjoy the sound of your own typing.

Regarding Stevens on the Second, he's old and senile, and an example of the "kind of Justices" that Republican presidents of the past had to nominate to get by democrat-communist controlled Senates.

I don't ever expect to change @Jazzhead 's mind, but one cannot let such wild statements go unchallenged. Call it a form of intellectual OCD, but some concepts are so egregiously tweaked out of place, the attempt to right them comes instinctively. If nothing else, we provide exposure of and balance to the error of that alleged but grievously flawed logic.

Regarding the Second Amendment -- at some point in our future, its "future" will depend on shootin' -- the REAL kind, not that of mouths poppin' off.

Can't say just when that will happen.
But... it's coming.

I wish I could argue with that, but historically speaking, it is inevitable that some conflict will occur.  It may not happen in my lifetime, but the one legacy I can leave to my family is the option to deal with that from a position of relative strength.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:02:55 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2018, 10:59:06 pm »
Okay: In virtually every jurisdiction in which firearms have been registered, at least some of them have been confiscated. Yes, Virginia, even in California with the 'assault weapon' registration, all they had to do was change the interpretation of the definition. In Australia, semiautomatic weapons and those which held too many cartridges were rounded up and destroyed.

In Canada, when the long gun registry was attempted, taking a cue from Americans, or perhaps inherently deciding that historically, registration precedes confiscation of at least some long arms, the Canadians refused in a massive act of non-compliance, so widespread that the Government gave up on the program after considerable overruns in cost and time.

Now, the reason I bring those up is that those are governments which find at least some commonality with America, and not the generally Marxist or Fascist examples which were far more brutal in their confiscation and the results thereof.

Traditionally, slaves have never been armed, serfs were unarmed, citizens, however were, and need ask no one's permission to exercise that Right.

There's zero point arguing with someone who insists that registration will not lead to confiscation.

They know it will.  That is exactly what people like that actually want to happen - even though they deny that is their intent.

Yes it is their intent.

We need to simply tell them that registration is the same thing as confiscation in our estimation - and we will not comply.

They will have to attempt to do what that imbecilic sheriff candidate in Asheville said they would do.  Then it's game on and open season on tyrants.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2018, 11:11:13 pm »
There's zero point arguing with someone who insists that registration will not lead to confiscation.

They know it will.  That is exactly what people like that actually want to happen - even though they deny that is their intent.

Yes it is their intent.

We need to simply tell them that registration is the same thing as confiscation in our estimation - and we will not comply.

They will have to attempt to do what that imbecilic sheriff candidate in Asheville said they would do.  Then it's game on and open season on tyrants.

I just wanted to take the opportunity to point out that the registration=>confiscation scenario is not limited to the usual totalitarian suspects, but can raise its ugly head in allegedly 'free' societies as well.

It is nice to have the opportunity to shred the flawed and distractive arguments against the 2nd and the Right.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2018, 11:26:03 pm »
Flawed in your mind, but perfect for the continuance of the governmental system we have set up in this country however.  It is the ONLY way that our freedoms can be preserved, and you and no amount of anti-gun bigots will ever be able to take that away from us citizens.

I encourage you to keep espousing your liberal bias on all things this country stands for, as it refreshes our fight for freedoms.

Oh cut it out.  I'm not an "anti-gun bigot" with "liberal bias';  I represent a perfectly mainstream position - preserve the RKBA,  but give law enforcement the tools to assign guns to persons legally responsible for them.   Just as we are all perfectly comfortable with when it comes to cars.

And I am concerned that the entire individual gun right is on very shakey Constitutional ground.  You don't like that message, so you attack the messenger.  But the individual gun right is as fragile as the abortion right, and the Dems are prioritizing the need to appoint judges who will overturn Heller.   

It is time to stop fighting the last war (or even sillier, to engage like INVAR in masturbatory fantasies about armed insurrection), and realize that an amendment of the Second Amendment is essential to secure the individual RKBA.   Yes, that's my opinion and you will attack me for it.  But check back in five years after the Dems again control the Presidency and Congress.   

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:29:06 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline edpc

« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2018, 11:31:16 pm »
I represent a perfectly mainstream position - preserve the RKBA,  but give law enforcement the tools to assign guns to persons legally responsible for them.

Assign them?  Can you clarify that?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2018, 11:36:05 pm »

Assign them?  Can you clarify that?

Licensure and registration, and documented transfers of ownership.  Like with cars.   

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2018, 11:40:05 pm »
Gun advocates must recognize it will ultimately rest in large measure on persuassion by "emotion," not on legalisms like the Constitution.

The truth is the US is different from Canada or Europe. Or even Switzerland.

So I suggest polishing the emotional persuassion arguments, along with the legal Constitutional ones.

(Increasingly the population is dumbed down, more open to emotional manipulation)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2018, 11:45:48 pm »
You keep saying that, and we're not casting light.  Let me try a different tack:  Are there any rights that are not subject to a SCOTUS decision?  Any at all?

@Jazzhead You may have missed my question.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2018, 11:46:35 pm »
Licensure and registration, and documented transfers of ownership.  Like with cars.

No.  Next question.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2018, 11:47:51 pm »
I would love to see them try to repeal the 2nd Amendment!   That would be a spectacular thing to watch.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Meldrew

« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2018, 11:49:50 pm »

Besides the revenue possibilities, what is the utility to the state of registering and licensing cars and how would that utility be manifested by registering and licensing guns? 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2018, 11:54:38 pm »
Dunno, but it is irrelevant. I doubt Roy would ever swing that way.

Yeah. Stevens is too old.

Offline edpc

« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2018, 11:54:39 pm »

That idea doesn't appeal to me, but the original term of 'assigning' made it sound as if they would determine what type you could own.  I appreciate the clarification.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2018, 12:01:19 am »
@Jazzhead You may have missed my question.

There are two kinds of Constitutional rights - enumerated rights and rights created by the interpretation of the Constitution by judges.  They are both valid, but the latter is much more fragile to the vagaries of politics. 

The Constitution explicitly provides for freedom of speech and the free exercise of religion.  It does not explicitly provide for a right to privacy (that is, the right to be free from the government intruding without consent on one's privacy).   Yet that right was deemed by a SCOTUS majority to be among the natural rights protected by the Constitution,  and undergirds the right to choose whether or not to procreate. 

That right, for better or worse,  hangs in the balance of 5 - 4 SCOTUS majority.   And millions of us have become single issue voters,  concerned with electing politicians who will appoint judges who will overturn or confirm the Constitution's right to abortion.   

The INDIVIDUAL gun right likewise hangs in the balance of a 5 - 4 SCOTUS majority.   And likewise there is a political movement to elect politicians who will appoint judges to deny the right.   I've said for years that the proper reaction to Roe v. Wade is for the People to act and either codify it or amend the Constitution to provide fetuses with the rights of citizens.   I support the same approach with respect to Heller -  to secure the right,  turn to the People to codify it. 

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:04:14 am by Jazzhead »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2018, 12:04:06 am »
Licensure and registration, and documented transfers of ownership. 

Despite your insistence that such a move is not abolishing a Right into a Government-granted privilege - you just revealed the bullshit of your own statement.  Because unless one complies with the above and is approved by the state, one cannot exercise the keeping or bearing of arms per your own advocacy.  Which, as I have told you before - amounts to the abolition of an inalienable right, into a grant and privilege from Government.

Your stupid ideas are the very definition of alienating us from our rights.  Which makes you an enemy of the Constitution and liberty itself.

Just get it through your thick-fascist skull that we will not comply with such bullshit if your advocacy for such tyranny gets enacted by your government.

We will resist you and anyone attempting to impose it.

And if you think it's "masturbatory fantasy' that we are going to resist people like you, test us and find out.

Go ahead.

We know where your advice leads, and we have no intention of allowing that to happen without a fight.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2018, 12:05:27 am »
I would love to see them try to repeal the 2nd Amendment!   That would be a spectacular thing to watch.

They can try, but I will not comply.  I'd sick of arguing about with with someone who ignores my points, so I'm just taking @INVAR's stand and resolutely say, "I will not comply."  Period.  End of paragraph.  I asked if we have any rights at all not granted by SCOTUS and there's been no reply.

There will be mass non-compliance.  There are probably more than 300 Million firearms in this country, and if they try to even register them they'll sweep up maybe 1 Million.  Maybe.
I will NOT comply.