Author Topic: NTSB is investigating Tesla Model X that caught fire after fatal crash in Silicon Valley  (Read 699 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
another Tesla Car-B-Q under investigation.

By BLOOMBERG
MAR 27, 2018 | 10:15 AM

The National Transportation Safety Board is sending two investigators to examine issues raised by the fatal crash of a Tesla vehicle in Northern California.

The Tesla struck a highway barrier Friday near Mountain View and caught fire, closing freeway lanes for hours as firefighters tried to determine whether it was safe to move the vehicle and its damaged lithium-ion battery packs, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

The safety board will examine the post-crash fire and steps needed to make the vehicle safe to remove from the scene, the agency said Tuesday on Twitter. It's unclear whether the Tesla's partially autonomous driving system, known as Autopilot, was engaged at the time of the crash, the NTSB said.

According to the Mercury News, the vehicle was a Tesla Model X SUV, and its driver — 38-year-old Wei Huang of San Mateo — died in a hospital the day of the crash.

"We have been deeply saddened by this accident, and we have offered our full cooperation to authorities as we work to establish the facts of the incident," Tesla said in an emailed statement.

Tesla stock fell as much as 5.3% on Tuesday.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-tesla-fire-20180327-story.html
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."