Author Topic: Waiting for the Smoking Gun  (Read 738 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Waiting for the Smoking Gun
« on: March 26, 2018, 05:31:35 pm »
By Jonah Golberg
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/stormy-daniels-media-coverage-press-smoking-gun/

During the last year or two thousand years of the Obama administration (it felt long), I used to complain a lot about the way liberals and the press talked about Hillary’s email scandal and her off-book server. Some new revelation would come out, and they’d all say, “There’s no smoking gun.” And then, because there was no smoking gun, they’d pretend that this meant she was in the clear of any wrongdoing.

As I said, over and over at the time, there were at least two problems with this. First, the “smoking gun standard” – like getting “caught red-handed” – is the highest form of evidence short of a confession. It essentially means total, dispositive proof of the misdeed. Well, as most cops and prosecutors will tell you, this is actually very rare. Often prosecutors take cases to court without any smoking guns at all. Forget “often.” Most of the time that’s what happens. When prosecutors have you dead to rights, you usually cop a plea. I bring this up because saying, “There’s no smoking gun!” is not synonymous with, “She’s innocent!” It’s not even a stand-in for reasonable doubt.

Then there’s the second problem: There was a smoking gun! It was her server, sitting there all smoky. Almost everyone acknowledged it was wrong for her to set up a private, unsecured server to park classified information on. They just didn’t want to think the unthinkable that this act alone disqualified Clinton from running for president. So they kept demanding even more damning evidence of something worse while allegedly “withholding judgment.”

Sorry to rehash all of that. I bring it up because I feel like there’s a similar dynamic at play with the Stormy Daniels story. I don’t know of anybody who doesn’t believe the story is true. You won’t find a lot of Trump boosters who say it’s true, but you can tell they think it when they start crying, “

Hypocrisy!” or, “

Whatabout Clinton!?” (Someone needs to explain to these guys that if you made a big deal about Democratic sexual impropriety and don’t about Republican sexual impropriety, you’re just as hypocritical as the liberals who didn’t make a big deal about Democrats’ misbehavior but do about Republicans’) . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Waiting for the Smoking Gun
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 05:55:26 pm »
It doesn't matter if there is a 'smoking gun'.

Trump is already on record of bragging about bedding other men's wives and grabbing women by the crotch.

None of that matters to the Trump faithful, anymore than it mattered to Clinton's adoring morons.

There could be a sex tape tomorrow and the rabid Trump supporters will tell us 'So what? - I didn't vote for a choirboy'.  They voted for someone they wanted to poke their domestic enemies in the eyes and face repeatedly, and Trump has given them that.

So nothing else matters - even if the Democrats clearly run the swamp and not a single Campaign promise is kept.

A 'smoking gun' is irrelevant to all except those who want to use it to impeach.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 05:56:13 pm »
He's right - for what that's worth.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 06:01:56 pm »
Here is another question to the AT's

Months after the election NT's were accused of being pro-abortion for not voting for Trump...now the tables have turned..are the AT's pro-abortionist for supporting this fiasco of a Bill that supports PP..?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 06:32:57 pm »
Here is another question to the AT's

Months after the election NT's were accused of being pro-abortion for not voting for Trump...now the tables have turned..are the AT's pro-abortionist for supporting this fiasco of a Bill that supports PP..?

No, that doesn't apply because we were just told in the last few days that ALL previous Administrations have funded PP, so Trump cannot be held liable for doing what previous Administrations have also done.

Trump is still the most Conservative president in history according to ATs, and the double-standard does not apply to them or their leader.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 08:13:12 pm »
No, that doesn't apply because we were just told in the last few days that ALL previous Administrations have funded PP, so Trump cannot be held liable for doing what previous Administrations have also done.

Trump is still the most Conservative president in history according to ATs, and the double-standard does not apply to them or their leader.

Ah..but there is a difference..this President campaigned on stopping the funding of PP..that was the main issue why I voted for him.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 08:39:47 pm »
Ah..but there is a difference..this President campaigned on stopping the funding of PP..that was the main issue why I voted for him.

I would think that you would be told that 'all presidential candidates have to lie, because that is what is needed to get elected'.

Don't let your 'perfect' become the enemy of the 'good' Trump has done.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:40:24 pm by INVAR »