Author Topic: Uber self-driving car kills Arizona woman, realizing worst fears of the new tech  (Read 6917 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
LOL.  Well...they have already turned it over to the Popo to clear the driver and their good <cough> name,,,  Having said that... it mean it is in the public domain.

Should be, but if it goes to a civil suit the popo are going to hand it over to said Uber attorney.  Hard to say if it will, because the description of what the woman was doing at the time leads me to suspect she was a "homeless person" or something.  Pushing a bicycle across the street loaded with bags at 10PM?  I know you love bikes, but I can't imagine you doing that, at 10 PM.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Pushing a bicycle across the street loaded with bags at 10PM?  I know you love bikes, but I can't imagine you doing that, at 10 PM.

Depends on what was on the other side of the road!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Depends on what was on the other side of the road!

A speeding Ubermobile, being piloted by a tranny convicted felon.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline WingNot

Decisions dissensions!    :cool:

Offline Frank Cannon

That's close to how I spent my weekend. I was doing speed in an Oldsmobile with a tranny felon pilot.

Offline LadyLiberty

That very well may be the case. A difference might have been that a human seeing someone standing in the median would slow down or change lanes to increase the margin of safety.

Was the woman (the pedestrian) on a cell phone at the time?

I read on twitter that she was a homeless drug addict.  She may have jumped in front of the car on purpose.

Offline DB

I read on twitter that she was a homeless drug addict.  She may have jumped in front of the car on purpose.

About 40 years ago I was a front seat passenger in a van driving through the business/bar area of a medium sized town to a job location and a guy jumped out and laid down on the road straight in front of us and we barely missed him. We were shocked to say the least.

So it does happen.

Offline SkyKing

Wait, what?
Read more: dailymail.co.uk

Apparently hadn't funded the electrolysis yet.

Should've joined the circus as the bearded lady/thingy

Offline Frank Cannon

About 40 years ago I was a front seat passenger in a van driving through the business/bar area of a medium sized town to a job location and a guy jumped out and laid down on the road straight in front of us and we barely missed him. We were shocked to say the least.

So it does happen.

It was me and I just was doing routine safety checks in the area to make sure drivers were alert behind the wheel. I'd like to say you guys passed with flying colors.

Offline DB

It was me and I just was doing routine safety checks in the area to make sure drivers were alert behind the wheel. I'd like to say you guys passed with flying colors.

So are you saying its me and my friend's fault you bless us here with your presence??? Some here may never forgive me! Now I'm going to have to lie low for awhile...

Offline Frank Cannon

So are you saying its me and my friend's fault you bless us here with your presence??? Some here may never forgive me! Now I'm going to have to lie low for awhile...

It is not uncommon for me to recheck drivers for alertness. I would stay on your toes tomorrow if you see any pedestrians on your travels.

Offline DB

There's now video up of the crash:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/21/dashcam-video-deadly-self-driving-uber-crash-released.html

The driver/car had little chance of not hitting her crossing the road in the dark. If that was level ground the headlights work like crap. There was perhaps 1 second of being visible before being hit.

Offline Suppressed

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/21/dashcam-video-deadly-self-driving-uber-crash-released.html

The driver/car had little chance of not hitting her crossing the road in the dark. If that was level ground the headlights work like crap. There was perhaps 1 second of being visible before being hit.

I wonder, was the driver looking down at a phone?

Still, not really any time to react with such poor headlight coverage.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

"Temple Police Department?"

The bike came out of the shadow, short reaction time, and this driver was totally inattentive.  Looked to be texting.  I could detect motion before I saw the woman appear in the street, the driver should have too.  I don't know if the Ubermobile  on autopilot would have seen that motion in time, probably would have if it had night vision.

@Wingnut Lookie here!  You were right!  Lickety split! 
I will NOT comply.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

Offline WingNot

"Temple Police Department?"

The bike came out of the shadow, short reaction time, and this driver was totally inattentive.  Looked to be texting.  I could detect motion before I saw the woman appear in the street, the driver should have too.  I don't know if the Ubermobile  on autopilot would have seen that motion in time, probably would have if it had night vision.

@Wingnut Lookie here!  You were right!  Lickety split!

For all the good heshe was why even bother put them in the car....  disgusting
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 02:37:20 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
If the car was truly "self-driving" how is it the driver's fault?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If the car was truly "self-driving" how is it the driver's fault?

There seems to be a discrepancy about whether it was in self-driving mode or not.  The press accounts don't agree.  That said, these cars are not qualified yet, so the human remains responsible.
I will NOT comply.