Author Topic: Once Again, I Ask: Why Vote Republican?  (Read 8772 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Once Again, I Ask: Why Vote Republican?
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2018, 02:51:13 pm »
Almost half, maybe said better as 40-50% of those who can vote, don't. That's problem #1... There really is no proper reason to get into a heated argument per those dissing the Republican party when their votes for parties like the Constitution party is well less than 1% of those who voted, now the Libertarian party has largely turned into a pro-liberal party.
As I voted for the Constitution Party candidate, all I can say is where were the rest of you? If you keep voting for the 'lesser evil', trapped in the false dichotomy of 'R or D', then there will only be two corrupt political machines vying for your vote to gain/retain power over you.

Considering the Republican Party wasn't on the radar in 1830, you have to start somewhere.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2018, 03:33:47 pm »
As I voted for the Constitution Party candidate, all I can say is where were the rest of you? If you keep voting for the 'lesser evil', trapped in the false dichotomy of 'R or D', then there will only be two corrupt political machines vying for your vote to gain/retain power over you.

Considering the Republican Party wasn't on the radar in 1830, you have to start somewhere.

"Starting somewhere" is working within the political system as it is.  Not by wasting your vote on a vanity candidate.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2018, 04:03:24 pm »
"Starting somewhere" is working within the political system as it is.  Not by wasting your vote on a vanity candidate.   

I'm certainly glad our Founding Fathers did not think like that when it came to dealing with corrupted institutions and tyrannical rulers.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2018, 04:28:50 pm »
I'm certainly glad our Founding Fathers did not think like that when it came to dealing with corrupted institutions and tyrannical rulers.

And,  in fact,  George Washington was very much against political parties.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2018, 04:35:10 pm »
Wise suggestion. Unfortunately, too many lack wisdom when it comes to politics. Reasoning often gets pushed to the back burner while emotions and vanity are all cranked up out of proportion. I suppose it’s the nature of the beast, politics.

Baloney. There is no emotion or vanity in voting. Never has been, never will be. Conservatives always vote on principle. That shouldn't be a surprise by now.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2018, 04:38:06 pm »

Nearly FORTY YEARS... Bupkis. Zippo. Nada. Not a SINGLE Conservative principle served anything but lip service in all that time.

That is wasting a vote. That right there.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2018, 04:47:09 pm »
And,  in fact,  George Washington was very much against political parties.

@Sangine

:amen:  Railed against the very idea of them in fact.  Although he used the word "Faction" instead of party.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LMAO

« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2018, 05:25:22 pm »
I can understand how some with their frustrations with the Republican Party either sit out elections or vote for third-party candidates that are more aligned with their principles.

I also can understand while some continue to vote for Republican candidates even over some strong disagreements because their feelings are that’s the only way to work  to try to fix the system by getting viable electable candidate elected.

Both viewpoints have their pros and cons. I’m not gonna tell either one that they’re wrong because what to do is an individual choice and they’ll have to live with the consequences of whatever they decide. Good or ill
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DB

« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2018, 06:17:13 pm »
Wise suggestion. Unfortunately, too many lack wisdom when it comes to politics. Reasoning often gets pushed to the back burner while emotions and vanity are all cranked up out of proportion. I suppose it’s the nature of the beast, politics.

Where's the "reason" in doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result???

It is people who are stuck in fear who vote the lesser evil - over and over - attempting to stop the greater evil. The result is more evil, every time. Until you stop playing the game the political parties are setting you up for, you will never have any other choice. Make them earn your vote instead and if they can't let them lose. Once that faction is allowed to die then something better can replace it.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2018, 06:48:05 pm »
Where's the "reason" in doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result???

It is people who are stuck in fear who vote the lesser evil - over and over - attempting to stop the greater evil. The result is more evil, every time. Until you stop playing the game the political parties are setting you up for, you will never have any other choice. Make them earn your vote instead and if they can't let them lose. Once that faction is allowed to die then something better can replace it.

Except that no one gives a damn about vanity voters.  Their voices may be loud on the internet,  but they wield no practical influence since their votes are meaningless.   

Offline DB

« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2018, 07:00:16 pm »
Except that no one gives a damn about vanity voters.  Their voices may be loud on the internet,  but they wield no practical influence since their votes are meaningless.   

Vanity voter?

Just telling how it is. As long as you follow the choices the two parties are giving you, you will get more of the same. It isn't rocket science.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2018, 10:41:31 pm »
I spent 40 years pissing away treasure and effort on an ever leftward moving, increasingly prevaricational GOP. I'm done with that. I didn't leave the GOP: I still believe the same things I did when I was much younger, but the GOP has abandoned those principles for the sake of expediency and left me.

Besides, I have a really hard time finding fault with a Party which has the Constitution of the United States as its platform, so unlike the 'big two'. .
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:41:55 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2018, 10:43:11 pm »
Your inner Whig is showing....

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2018, 11:32:16 pm »
I spent 40 years pissing away treasure and effort on an ever leftward moving, increasingly prevaricational GOP. I'm done with that. I didn't leave the GOP: I still believe the same things I did when I was much younger, but the GOP has abandoned those principles for the sake of expediency and left me.

Then be gone. Who the flip cares about someone who rants and raves on the internet, and then throws his vote away?   

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2018, 11:39:59 pm »

Besides, I have a really hard time finding fault with a Party which has the Constitution of the United States as its platform, so unlike the 'big two'. .

You got all that right, Joe.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2018, 11:41:19 pm »
Then be gone. Who the flip cares about someone who rants and raves on the internet, and then throws his vote away?

'Throwing a vote away' would be in the endorsement of a candidate that does not adhere to one's own beliefs

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2018, 11:44:02 pm »

You can put me down as being in that very same boat.  I've had it with being patronized and lied to!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2018, 11:47:52 pm »
'Throwing a vote away' would be in the endorsement of a candidate that does not adhere to one's own beliefs
You are describing vanity, not principle.   If you're principled, you play the game for keeps.  You don't throw your vote away. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2018, 11:58:29 pm »
You are describing vanity, not principle.   If you're principled, you play the game for keeps.  You don't throw your vote away.

Bullshit. Republicans no longer represent Conservatism, and really never did. I will NOT assist them in becoming ever more liberal. And that IS playing for keeps.

You want my vote, Conservatism. Guaranteed. I ain't interested in any other damn thing.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2018, 12:01:12 am »

That's like arguing that resisting prison rape is bad because some people have to pay for sex and why would someone pass on free sex.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2018, 02:52:57 am »
I have been gone. Who cares a flip about those who rant on about how good their lesser evils are, and wholeheartedly support them as if they were good? When principle is thrown to the winds of relativism, it becomes mere subjective nonsense.

THE GOP lost my donations, my time, and my support a long time ago, first at the National level, then the State level, and ultimately, it comes down to the individual candidate whether or not they can earn --yes, EARN my vote, my support, or my stamp of approval.

I would gladly embrace that "None of the Above" be included on the ballot, and if it carries a majority, the current slate be wiped and try again with other candidates.

When all is said and done, I have finally reached the point where I will be able to tell my Maker (not that He won't already know) that I would not support evil, be it lesser or greater, and no amount of semantic gymnastics can turn my non-support of either into the support of one or the other.

I and all of us have a higher Judge to face in the end, and I'm going to go with as clear a conscience as I can at this late date. My principles have remained unchanged, the GOP has left me.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2018, 03:10:39 pm »
The judicial branch of government is co-equal to the the other two so it is kind of important to have
conservatives running it. Surely you have noticed the havoc piss ant district Federal judges have
caused Trump re travel ban, DACA.

As far as the investigation are concerned, FBI director, fired. Deputy FBI director, fired. Asst AG demoted. Two senior FBI officials demoted.  And we have yet to see the IG report. That's not Kabuki Theater
False.  There is nothing of a 'co-equal' nature to it.

The three branches of government are separate from each other, and to some degree accountable to each other but are definitely not co-equal.

Congress can remove any of the members of the other branches of government, can pass laws and impose taxes.  That makes them the most powerful of the branches, rightly so as they are most accountable to the citizens.

Executive closely follows as it has the huge bureaucracy and controls the military.

Judicial is way down the list as it has limited power to enforce any of its edicts, and relies upon compliance by the other branches.

This was all made by design by the Founders.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2018, 03:12:50 pm »
Your inner Whig is showing....
Since he is revisionist, he completely missed your historical point.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2018, 04:09:43 pm »
We should stop this 'team' voting and start voting our values. It is the only way things will change.

The only way things will change is if the people we like get more votes than the people we don't.  Not voting at all, or voting for people who have zero chance, won't change anything.  Such "messages" never get received, much less understood.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2018, 04:12:58 pm »
The only way things will change is if the people we like get more votes than the people we don't.  Not voting at all, or voting for people who have zero chance, won't change anything.  Such "messages" never get received, much less understood.

The problem was that in 2016, there wasn't a candidate that a conservative could 'like' even a little bit.

There was no where for a conservative vote to go other than third party, or no thank you.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.