Author Topic: Mike Rowe: America's Suffering From 'An Epidemic Of Fatherlessness'  (Read 574 times)

Online mountaineer

Mike Rowe: America's Suffering From 'An Epidemic Of Fatherlessness'
 By Jacob Airey
March 28, 2018
On Tuesday, Mike Rowe, host of "Returning The Favor" and "Dirty Jobs," took to Facebook to defend fathers and fatherhood in general, pointing to the growing discontent with having a strong dad in the home.

In the post, Rowe highlights a comment by Angelina Jolie he suggests echoes the sentiment of too many people in our culture:

A couple years ago, when Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt were getting divorced, Jolie was quoted as saying, "It never even crossed my mind that my son would need a father."

I was struck by her comment, and I remember wondering how many other Americans might share her view. At the time, I didn’t think many. But today, I’m convinced the number is significant. I'm also amazed at how quickly fatherhood has fallen out of favor. Can you imagine a celebrity - or anyone for that matter - saying such a thing just twenty years ago?

Rowe then cites facts and statistics about the negative effects of a fatherless home.  ...
Full story at Daily Wire

Link to Mike's Facebook post.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: Mike Rowe: America's Suffering From 'An Epidemic Of Fatherlessness'
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 02:20:41 pm »
Mike Rowe is awesome.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 02:21:26 pm »
Agreed.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 02:57:06 pm »
This is a difficult problem, I know of men who unselfishly, see a woman without a spouse and they become the father, marry the woman (the woman has children or child). I have the deepest respect for such males.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:15:19 pm by TomSea »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 07:04:39 pm »
From Mike's Facebook post:
...   Is it really so surprising to learn that a majority of bullies also come from fatherless homes? As do a majority of school shooters? As do a majority of older male shooters?

I know this is controversial, and I'm sorry to inject an uncomfortable element into a post about a "feel-good" show, but I think it’s important to consider the possibility that this thing we like to call “an epidemic of bullying,” is really an “epidemic of fatherlessness.” I also think it’s reasonable to conclude that our society is sending a message to men of all ages that is decidedly mixed.

Think about it. On the one hand, we’re telling them to “man-up" whenever the going gets tough. On the other, we’re condemning a climate of "toxic masculinity" at every turn. If that strikes you as confusing, imagine being a fourteen-year old boy with no father figure to help you make sense of it.   ...

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 07:30:14 pm »
Mike's not the only one saying this.
Link between mass shooters, absent fathers ignored by anti-gun activists
By Bradford Richardson - The Washington Times - Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Gun control activists are quick to blame mass shootings on the proliferation of firearms, but are less likely to point to the proliferation of fatherless households.

Yet research shows that school shooters tend to come from broken homes, where one or more parent is absent, addicted or abusive.

Warren Farrell, co-author of the just-released “The Boy Crisis: Why Our Boys Are Struggling and What We Can Do About It,” said the frequency at which fathers are absent has been devastating for the development of boys. He pointed to research showing that boys without fathers fare worse than boys with fathers on more than 70 different metrics.  ...
Read entire article at Washington Times

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 07:44:03 pm »
For decades we have known that children of single parent homes, have worse life outcomes.

School dropouts, crime, jail, drugs & alcohol, and having children themselves out of wedlock, who begin the cycle again.

It was first noted in the lower class-ethnic minorities. But it is now across all demographics.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 07:52:56 pm »
I can only imagine what my mother---who had enough issues as it was when I was growing up (and never quite comprehended just what
she was doing wrong in enabling a wild-out younger brother at her older son's expense, among other things)---would have had to contend
with if my growing-up years were now and my father had still died when I was ten, as indeed he did (at age 39) in 1966 when I was ten.

And when my father was alive, I already had to deal with the nightmare of an ego-bruised father who believed a) his son should have known
at birth what has to be taught to a boy, and when I didn't the punishments were the most violently abusive; and, b) that it was acceptable
(as did my mother, unfortunately) to punish simple human mistakes that children invariably make even more violently than they did genuine misbehaviour
or disobedience. (I did manage to have fun when I was growing up [I've written of it elsewhere]---mostly when I was out of my own house.)

Then, again, figure this one if you will: It was my father who encouraged me musically (he got me my first super-cheap acoustic guitar a few
months before he died) while my mother thought music was a waste of time. (My mother never seemed able to let me know what she hoped I might
become, but she made no bones about what she thought I had no business trying to become.) But because they were so contradictory and abusive
otherwise (they wanted children in the worst way possible only to discover they had about as much patience for children when they did finally
have two sons as a piranha has at mealtime), I spent too many years trying to please ghosts who couldn't be pleased. Outside my home, I was as
close to normal as possible, but unfortunately my grandparents and my favourite aunt and uncle, God rest their souls in peace, weren't my
parents and their homes weren't mine. And---I also learned this the hard way---in those years, you didn't talk up about being abused, because
it was liable to get back to your parents and the consequences would not be pretty.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 07:53:49 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 08:11:24 pm »

Larry Elder  Verified account @larryelder
14h14 hours ago

The Top 4 Problems Of "Black America"

1) Lack of in-home fathers

2) Lack of in-home fathers

3) Lack of in-home fathers

4) The vilification of those who understand that the top problem of "Black America" is the lack of in-home fathers