Author Topic: Trump to sign spending bill (Live Signing Event at 1PM EST)  (Read 16672 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Trump to sign spending bill (Live Signing Event at 1PM EST)
« Reply #175 on: March 23, 2018, 09:59:23 pm »
I disagree with you on this.  I think it was a responsible, defensible and respectable position to vote against Hillary Clinton.  That's what he and many others did.  The other options were not voting or voting for someone who had no chance of beating Clinton.  So, just stop with that.

I understand what you're saying, but we all are seeing the problem with this first hand.  You get what you vote for, and 'we' keep voting for liberals.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #176 on: March 23, 2018, 10:00:10 pm »
I understand what you're saying, but we all are seeing the problem with this first hand.  You get what you vote for, and 'we' keep voting for liberals.

Yes, but we didn't get what many of us voted against. 

Offline DB

« Reply #177 on: March 23, 2018, 10:05:27 pm »
I disagree with you on this.  I think it was a responsible, defensible and respectable position to vote against Hillary Clinton.  That's what he and many others did.  The other options were not voting or voting for someone who had no chance of beating Clinton.  So, just stop with that.

I'm sorry, but every election is framed that way. You will be forever locked into voting for the lesser evil via fear and continue to get what you've been getting if you don't get off the plantation. There is no alternative.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #178 on: March 23, 2018, 10:10:27 pm »

That's fine.  Disagree all you like.

I personally have no respect for, use for, regard for, or will listen to those who preach principles (mostly to make money selling themselves), and then illustrate they will abandon those same principles they paid lip service to for political expedience and pragmatism while becoming promoters of apostasy themselves.

One thing I have learned time and again - is that is the ignorant, hopeful fool of blind faith who thinks that an apostate church can be saved to promote the foundations it has openly discarded.

And that maxim holds true for apostate political beliefs and parties as well.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #179 on: March 23, 2018, 10:11:18 pm »
‘At least it wasn’t Hillary’ has become the automatic response to anything Trump does contrary to what people expected.  It’s similar to the ‘and also with you’ collective response to ‘peace be with you’ in church.  It’s also delivered with the same lack of enthusiasm and sincerity.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #180 on: March 23, 2018, 10:12:39 pm »
"At least it wasn't Hillary" is a pretty low bar.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #181 on: March 23, 2018, 10:16:05 pm »
I can’t remember who posted this yesterday: This is what you get when you vote for the lesser of two evils over and over again. Bush v. Manbearpig, Bush v. John Effing, Mittens v. Obama, Juan v. Obama, Orange v. Cankles.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2018, 10:25:56 pm »

‘At least it wasn’t Hillary’ has become the automatic response to anything Trump does contrary to what people expected.

I doubt there would be any real-discernible difference in the fruits.  I fully expect Trump to go full-blown NYC Liberal Democrat as he has been his whole life by making deals as he has been with Schumer and Pelosi, given that apparently the Democrats actually still control the entirety of government with a willingness for the GOP to commit suicide because it will serve a greater purpose in our fundamental transformation.

As to what they say they voted against - sadly, that has been pretty much the only motivation to get anyone to the polls in the GOP anymore.  To vote AGAINST the Democrat.   Not because we believe in the character and ideas of a candidate to promote and instill a Conservative agenda, no - rather we must vote for the R to stop the D.

When you keep voting for the lesser of two evils, you will eventually end up with a choice between choosing a Hitler or a Stalin, followed shortly by the intimidations of the party faithful that if you do not vote for Stalin, you will be responsible for the deaths of 6 million Jews.  Or vice-versa depending on which form of Collectivist Statism they prefer to self-identify with.

It's past time to be done and finished with cognitive dissonance while practicing insanity with the Republican party. 

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2018, 10:30:23 pm »
Good grief.  I'm seeing why some of the ETs are so belligerent and obnoxious when responding to you NTs.  OK, I got it - yours is the only position with any merit and everybody who doesn't accept that is dead wrong and unethical to boot.

Weird - defending ETs on a day that Trump has proven to be what we knew him to be all along.  I think you all only want to argue and disagree. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2018, 10:32:32 pm »

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm saying though.  You vote against someone and you get what you get.  I voted *for* someone this last time.  The mess we're in is pretty much because people just voted against someone that was more inferior.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2018, 10:35:41 pm »
I doubt there would be any real-discernible difference in the fruits.  I fully expect Trump to go full-blown NYC Liberal Democrat as he has been his whole life by making deals as he has been with Schumer and Pelosi, given that apparently the Democrats actually still control the entirety of government with a willingness for the GOP to commit suicide because it will serve a greater purpose in our fundamental transformation....

Talk about cognitive dissonance!  That's not an honest argument.  Clinton is a ideological leftist with all the necessary affiliations and networks to have done much worse than Trump has so far.  Just as many of us predicted how Trump would act if given the opportunity based on his history, we can predict how Clinton would have (and has) acted, given the opportunity. 

You may base your decision to not vote against her on your idea of integrity, but I think unleashing her on the nation and world would have been much worse than the chaotic clown we have in there now.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:36:44 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2018, 10:37:50 pm »
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm saying though.  You vote against someone and you get what you get.  I voted *for* someone this last time.  The mess we're in is pretty much because people just voted against someone that was more inferior.

True.  And, what were the options again?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #187 on: March 23, 2018, 10:44:50 pm »
True.  And, what were the options again?

Depends what state you vote in, don't it?  I understand, again, what you're getting in, but I'm done buying into that because I see where it's gotten us.  It'll be a painful road, but seems we're halfway down that road anyway.

Offline DB

« Reply #188 on: March 23, 2018, 10:45:43 pm »
Talk about cognitive dissonance!  That's not an honest argument.  Clinton is a ideological leftist with all the necessary affiliations and networks to have done much worse than Trump has so far.  Just as many of us predicted how Trump would act if given the opportunity based on his history, we can predict how Clinton would have (and has) acted, given the opportunity. 

You may base your decision to not vote against her on your idea of integrity, but I think unleashing her on the nation and world would have been much worse than the chaotic clown we have in there now.

The difference is, Clinton we could oppose at every step. The Democrats would have owned all that she did. She would have faced an opposing congress.

Now the GOP owns what has been done. The GOP owns the extreme debt spending. The GOP owns Obamacare for tinkering with it instead of getting rid of it. The GOP owns tariffs. The GOP owns illegal immigration w/o a wall. The GOP owns no longer having any say on family values dare they be rightfully called hypocrites.

The short term gain of keeping Hillary out of office will likely have much higher long term cost due to who was chosen, Trump. Trump is poisoning the GOP well, perhaps for good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #189 on: March 23, 2018, 10:48:09 pm »
The difference is, Clinton we could oppose at every step. The Democrats would have owned all that she did. She would have faced an opposing congress.

Do you think McConnell and Ryan would have opposed her at every step?  I don't.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DB

« Reply #190 on: March 23, 2018, 10:55:06 pm »
Do you think McConnell and Ryan would have opposed her at every step?  I don't.

Hard to say for sure. I think by the time Trump's term is up, the GOP is going to be hiding.

Hamilton: "If we must have an enemy at the head of Government, let it be one whom we can oppose, and for whom we are not responsible, who will not involve our party in the disgrace of his foolish and bad measures."

There's some wisdom there that some are going to have to learn the hard way.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #191 on: March 23, 2018, 11:06:54 pm »
Hard to say for sure. I think by the time Trump's term is up, the GOP is going to be hiding.

Hamilton: "If we must have an enemy at the head of Government, let it be one whom we can oppose, and for whom we are not responsible, who will not involve our party in the disgrace of his foolish and bad measures."

There's some wisdom there that some are going to have to learn the hard way.

That's some prescience right there... nearly prophetic.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2018, 11:22:01 pm »
Trump as Geraldine.  Fitting.

Well ... he might just get the black vote then.    :silly:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2018, 11:24:04 pm »
Well ... he might just get the black vote then.    :silly:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2018, 11:27:50 pm »
Hannity..*Republican Party is dead!*

Gee Hannity you make me want to puke.  It is you, Sean Hannity the gave Trump so much air time and promoted him so heavily and gave very little air time to Cruz.  So ... we have a Senator Cruz who voted 'NO' and a President Trump who could have vetoed it, but instead said yes!  You have only yourself to blame Hannity, you were duped just like the rest of his supporters!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline libertybele

« Reply #196 on: March 23, 2018, 11:34:09 pm »
I'd just like to remind Trump supporters:

"Cruz: Those who bolstered Trump will 'bear that responsibility going forward".  Sean Hannity you need to bear your share of the responsibility.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #197 on: March 23, 2018, 11:39:09 pm »
I'd just like to remind Trump supporters:

"Cruz: Those who bolstered Trump will 'bear that responsibility going forward".  Sean Hannity you need to bear your share of the responsibility.

Well, you should have gotten Cruz elected.

Trump didn't run as a fiscal conservative, he ran as a populist, there were no small government promises as with Rand Paul. Almost half of eligible voters didn't. People get what they voted for.  There was no deception about Trump, he even said in his campaign, he was going to build some super-infrastructure.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #198 on: March 23, 2018, 11:39:56 pm »

Short-term perhaps that has some merit. 

Long term, the Conservative/limited government ideal and brand will have been rendered totally irrelevant and buried by it's own party and leader.

Voting AGAINST the other guy and party because "we lose the country if they win" is the campaign slogan for the GOP going on three decades plus.

It's tired, boring and insulting given the fruits that have been harvested as a result of doing just that.

Yesterday the choice was between a treasonous wannabe corrupt tyrant and a juvenile reality TV show personality.   Tomorrow your choice will be between a Hitler or a Stalin if voting to stop the other guy is the sum total of where we have arrived.

As DB adroitly noted:

The short term gain of keeping Hillary out of office will likely have much higher long term cost due to who was chosen...

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #199 on: March 24, 2018, 12:03:51 am »
Trump didn't run as a fiscal conservative, he ran as a populist, there were no small government promises as with Rand Paul. Almost half of eligible voters didn't. People get what they voted for.  There was no deception about Trump, he even said in his campaign, he was going to build some super-infrastructure.

Funny, because he had presented himself as such and had a lot of people fooled into thinking he was fiscally conservative.

Mr. Trump is a rock star for Republicans, but he’s never been easily categorized.

So I asked him straight out if he considers himself a member of the Tea Party.

“I certainly seem to be in a sense. They like me, and I like them. And we have very much the same principles,” Mr. Trump answered. “When I speak to the Tea Party, they have the biggest crowd of anybody.”

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/7/donald-trump-says-hes-a-tea-party-member/

Nevertheless, Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform, believes that Donald Trump is a fiscal conservative: in fact, Norquist believes Trump has the potential to surpass even Ronald Reagan and become the most fiscally conservative president in modern history.

http://time.com/4354389/grover-norquist-donald-trump-fiscal-conservative/

Mr. Trump, you've heard the argument from many of the candidates on this stage that you're not a true conservative. Tell the voters watching tonight why you are.

Well, I think I am, and to me, I view the word conservative as a derivative of the word “conserve.” We want to conserve our money. We want to conserve our wealth. We want to conserve. We want to be smart. We want to be smart where we go, where we spend, how we spend. We want to conserve our country. We want to save our country. And we have people that have no idea how to do that, and they are not doing it, and it's a very important word and it's something I believe in very, very strongly.

So is Trump a true conservative? He would transfer power back from the federal government to the states. He would cut the federal government’s budget. He would enforce immigration laws. He would combat lawlessness due to immigration. And he would balance trade. His proposals indicate that he is indeed a true political conservative.

https://www.americanthinker.com
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.