Author Topic: Dead Sea's revival with Red Sea canal edges closer to reality  (Read 714 times)

rangerrebew

Dead Sea's revival with Red Sea canal edges closer to reality
March 18, 2018 by Marie Wolfrom

Israel and Jordan have long pursued a common goal to stop the Dead Sea from shrinking while slaking their shared thirst for drinking water with a pipeline from the Red Sea some 200 kilometres away.

Geopolitical tensions have stalled efforts to break ground on the ambitious project for years, but the end of the latest diplomatic spat has backers hoping a final accord may now be in sight.

The degradation of the Dead Sea, on the border of Israel, Jordan and the Palestinian West Bank, began in the 1960s when water began to be heavily diverted from the Jordan River.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-03-dead-sea-revival-red-canal.html#jCp

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Dead Sea's revival with Red Sea canal edges closer to reality
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:48:23 pm »
I wonder if anybody is studying the consequences of opening up the ocean to a land that is situated 1400' below it.

A giant inland sea can be the result.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 07:44:45 pm »
I wonder if anybody is studying the consequences of opening up the ocean to a land that is situated 1400' below it.

A giant inland sea can be the result.

I'm guessing they will include some valves in the pipeline.

the amount flowing in the Jordan has dropped from 1.2 billion cubic metres per year (42 billion cubic feet) to less than 200 million

That is a significant amount of flow that would take a lot pipe to replace.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 07:54:03 pm »

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 02:05:54 am »
I'm guessing they will include some valves in the pipeline.

Valves would not have helped the natural flow of a lake into a deeper cavity when a borehole was drilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI

Gravity and the flow of water can do tremendous things, even with just a small entrance is created.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 02:27:57 am »
Red is the new Dead.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 11:57:47 am »
Valves would not have helped the natural flow of a lake into a deeper cavity when a borehole was drilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI

Gravity and the flow of water can do tremendous things, even with just a small entrance is created.

Also, this project is not a direct pipeline between seas.  It is building desalination plants, and the outlet of the desal plants (heavier salt content than the sea) goes into the pipeline.  In addition, the outlet is through a hydro power plant.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 12:50:41 pm »
Also, this project is not a direct pipeline between seas.  It is building desalination plants, and the outlet of the desal plants (heavier salt content than the sea) goes into the pipeline.  In addition, the outlet is through a hydro power plant.
Maybe so, but when I read "Only the sea can fill up the sea.", it sure seems prudent to think about what is being contemplated.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 03:16:39 pm »

According to Wikipedia it's already 10x saltier than sea water - not sure if desal discharge would raise or lower that?

Also sounds like it could be a made-to-order terrorist target?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 04:32:29 pm »
According to Wikipedia it's already 10x saltier than sea water - not sure if desal discharge would raise or lower that?

Also sounds like it could be a made-to-order terrorist target?

Keep in mind it is replacing the fresh water that used to run into the Dead Sea from the Jordan.  But the discharge of a Desal plant is about 2 times salter than the intake from the ocean.

As for a target for terrorism, there a lot more pipelines in that part of the world that would make a bigger boom than a salt water line.