Author Topic: Ryan: I've 'Received Assurances' Mueller Won't Be Fired  (Read 1407 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Ryan: I've 'Received Assurances' Mueller Won't Be Fired
« on: March 20, 2018, 04:41:54 pm »
Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said he has received “assurances” that Robert Mueller won’t be fired, as questions swirl around whether President Trump will pull the plug on the special counsel.

“I received assurances that his firing is not even under consideration,” Ryan told reporters during his weekly news conference on Tuesday. “We have a system based upon the rule of law in this country, we have a justice system, and no one is above that justice system.”

While the White House insists that Mueller’s ouster is not in play, Trump has made a series of moves in the past week that have stepped up concern in Washington that he may move to fire Mueller and end the special counsel’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election and possible ties to the Trump campaign.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/379289-ryan-ive-received-assurances-mueller-wont-be-fired
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Ryan: I've 'Received Assurances' Mueller Won't Be Fired
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 04:44:17 pm »
Doesn't seem like there are assurances Sessions won't be let go.  The new AG can fire Mueller and the White House can claim plausible deniability.  After all, they didn't know Sessions would recuse himself, allowing Rosenstein to appoint Mueller.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 04:44:49 pm »
The checks in the mail...
I'm from the Government And I'm here to help you
I've 'Received Assurances' Mueller Won't Be Fired
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 05:41:17 pm »
He doesn't have to be fired, just told if you don't find anything by this date, wrap it up.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 05:43:00 pm »
He doesn't have to be fired, just told if you don't find anything by this date, wrap it up.

Good grief!  That's way too logical.   888high58888
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline edpc

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 05:57:19 pm »

That would be an interesting thing to say, considering his criticism of 'artificial timelines' in the SOTU speech.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 06:11:20 pm »
I just want you to know, Trump's going to fire Mueller
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 06:15:12 pm »

That would be an interesting thing to say, considering his criticism of 'artificial timelines' in the SOTU speech.

If you want to equivocate an investigation that repeatedly wanders off mission to military policy in Afghanistan, then you have a far bigger logic hill to climb than finding a reason for Sessions to tell Mueller that things need to sunset by a certain date, if nothing relevant to the original purpose of the investigation is found.
The Republic is lost.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 06:36:05 pm »
Did Paul have a letter to wave around? 

Offline edpc

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 07:09:52 pm »
If you want to equivocate an investigation that repeatedly wanders off mission to military policy in Afghanistan, then you have a far bigger logic hill to climb than finding a reason for Sessions to tell Mueller that things need to sunset by a certain date, if nothing relevant to the original purpose of the investigation is found.

Sessions can't tell him anything, since he's recused himself.  As far as the date goes, it's not possible to determine, since much of what is being pursued is relative.  The people connected have been charged with various offenses to be used as leverage in their cooperation.  The investigators have no control over trial dates and lengths.  There have also been ongoing negotiations as to whether or how Trump would answer questions from Mueller.  Setting a date would mean potential witnesses or targets of the investigation need only wait until the clock runs out.  In that way, it's exactly the same as military policy timelines in any theater.  It's not as big of a hill as you think.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:11:27 pm by edpc »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 08:55:51 pm »

Sessions can't tell him anything, since he's recused himself.  As far as the date goes, it's not possible to determine, since much of what is being pursued is relative.  The people connected have been charged with various offenses to be used as leverage in their cooperation.  The investigators have no control over trial dates and lengths.  There have also been ongoing negotiations as to whether or how Trump would answer questions from Mueller.  Setting a date would mean potential witnesses or targets of the investigation need only wait until the clock runs out.  In that way, it's exactly the same as military policy timelines in any theater.  It's not as big of a hill as you think.

Conversely, the investigation isn't a political sword of Damocles for dragging out till the election in the hope the Dems take Congress, no more than a military action should be continued for poltical purposes. Not a big hill to climb there either.

It also doesn't mean that Sessions can't honestly sunset the investigation if something isn't found. Once trials and interviews are done, and if nothing comes out if it, then it's absolutely appropriate for the DOJ to demand an end. Sessions recusal in fact reinforces that decision, it does not work against it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 09:36:05 pm »
Conversely, the investigation isn't a political sword of Damocles for dragging out till the election in the hope the Dems take Congress, no more than a military action should be continued for poltical purposes. Not a big hill to climb there either.

It also doesn't mean that Sessions can't honestly sunset the investigation if something isn't found. Once trials and interviews are done, and if nothing comes out if it, then it's absolutely appropriate for the DOJ to demand an end. Sessions recusal in fact reinforces that decision, it does not work against it.

The midterms are completely irrelevant. The Starr investigation took place through the 1994 midterms and '96 re-election.  The full report was released just before the '98 midterms.  The investigation will continue as long as Mueller brings evidence to Rosenstein and he authorizes continuing.  Unless he's replaced, it doesn't matter what Sessions thinks or says.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:38:49 pm by edpc »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 10:14:32 pm »

The midterms are completely irrelevant. The Starr investigation took place through the 1994 midterms and '96 re-election.  The full report was released just before the '98 midterms.  The investigation will continue as long as Mueller brings evidence to Rosenstein and he authorizes continuing.  Unless he's replaced, it doesn't matter what Sessions thinks or says.

The Starr investigation is irrelevant. Simply just because a precedent exists, does not mean it relates to this situation, or that the precedent itself should have been set.

The whole 'Sessions can't say anything' is an artificial line in the sand for those who want the investigation to continue because it's Trump. I could care less, meandering fishing expeditions should not be allowed to go on and on within our justice system. Sessions and the DOJ have every right to call an end to this whenever they please.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 10:22:10 pm »
The Starr investigation is irrelevant. Simply just because a precedent exists, does not mean it relates to this situation, or that the precedent itself should have been set.

The whole 'Sessions can't say anything' is an artificial line in the sand for those who want the investigation to continue because it's Trump. I could care less, meandering fishing expeditions should not be allowed to go on and on within our justice system. Sessions and the DOJ have every right to call an end to this whenever they please.

I guess we can count Trump's attorney John Dowd among those who think Sessions can't stop the investigation and secretly want it to continue, since he tweeted this over the weekend......

I pray that Acting Attorney General Rosenstein will follow the brilliant and courageous example of the FBI Office of Professional Responsibility and Attorney General Jeff Sessions and bring an end to alleged Russia Collusion investigation manufactured by McCabe’s boss James Comey based upon a fraudulent and corrupt Dossier.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:22:58 pm by edpc »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 11:37:47 pm »

I guess we can count Trump's attorney John Dowd among those who think Sessions can't stop the investigation and secretly want it to continue, since he tweeted this over the weekend......

I pray that Acting Attorney General Rosenstein will follow the brilliant and courageous example of the FBI Office of Professional Responsibility and Attorney General Jeff Sessions and bring an end to alleged Russia Collusion investigation manufactured by McCabe’s boss James Comey based upon a fraudulent and corrupt Dossier.

Well that's some very clever rhetorical smokescreen, but but opinions of lawyers do not translate into legal reality.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 12:34:27 am »
Well that's some very clever rhetorical smokescreen, but but opinions of lawyers do not translate into legal reality.

It is hardly a smokescreen to point out the president's own attorney is aware of who can dismiss Mueller or end the investigation. Everyone seems to realize it but you.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 01:13:48 am »
And the RNC 'Assured' us that you and that idiot Romney were the remedy to save us from 4 more years of Bammy.

Forgive my skepticism.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 04:02:18 am »

It is hardly a smokescreen to point out the president's own attorney is aware of who can dismiss Mueller or end the investigation. Everyone seems to realize it but you.

He will say exactly what he needs to say to not unnecessarily add friction to the situation. Your understanding of things is very one dimensional.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:02:35 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.