Author Topic: Funny, When Obama Harvested Facebook Data On Millions Of Users To Win In 2012, Everyone Cheered  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Funny, When Obama Harvested Facebook Data On Millions Of Users To Win In 2012, Everyone Cheered
Investor's Business Daily, Mar 19, 2018

<snip>

In 2012, the Obama campaign encouraged supporters to download an Obama 2012 Facebook app that, when activated, let the campaign collect Facebook data both on users and their friends.  According to a July 2012 MIT Technology Review article, when you installed the app, "it said it would grab information about my friends: their birth dates, locations, and 'likes.' "

The campaign boasted that more than a million people downloaded the app, which, given an average friend-list size of 190, means that as many as 190 million had at least some of their Facebook data vacuumed up by the Obama campaign — without their knowledge or consent.

If anything, Facebook made it easy for Obama to do so. A former campaign director, Carol Davidsen, tweeted that "Facebook was surprised we were able to suck out the whole social graph, but they didn't stop us once they realized that was what we were doing."

This Facebook treasure trove gave Obama an unprecedented ability to reach out to nonsupporters. More important, the campaign could deliver carefully targeted campaign messages disguised as messages from friends to millions of Facebook users.  The campaign readily admitted that this subtle deception was key to their Facebook strategy. "People don't trust campaigns. They don't even trust media organizations," Teddy Goff, the Obama campaign's digital director, said at the time. "Who do they trust? Their friends."

Read more:  https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/facebook-data-scandal-trump-election-obama-2012/

Stunning tidbit ....

Obama, in contrast, was collecting live data on active users right up until Election Day, and at a scale that dwarfed anything the Trump campaign could access.

More important, the vast majority of people involved in these data-mining operations had no idea they were participating. And in the case of Obama, they had no way of knowing that the Obama campaign material cluttering their feed wasn't really just political urgings from their friends.

Ex-Obama Campaign Official: Here's How We Were Able To Mine So Much Facebook Data
They "were very candid that they allowed us to do things they wouldn’t have allowed someone else to do because they were on our side."
Daily Wire, Mar 19, 2018, James Barrett

On Monday, the Independent Journal Review, one of the websites hardest hit by Facebook's recent newsfeed algorithm changes, highlighted a series of tweets by Carol Davidsen, former director of integration and media analytics for Obama for America, in which she explained how the campaign was able to mine Facebook's data in a way that employees for the company suggested they "wouldn’t have allowed someone else to do because they were on our side."

Davidsen began by highlighting an article about the Obama campaign's data mining project, called "Project Targus."

Here's the series of tweets Davidsen published Sunday:

Read more:  https://www.dailywire.com/news/28424/ex-obama-campaign-official-heres-how-we-were-able-james-barrett

Ex-Obama Campaign Director: It's 'Unfair' Facebook Let Us 'Ingest Entire Social Network of US'
Independent Journal Review, Mar 19, 2018, JASON HOWERTON

A former Obama campaign official lit up the internet on Monday after claiming that Facebook allowed them to mine massive amounts of Facebook data because “they were on our side.”

Now, comments she made in 2015 are shining even more light on exactly how extensive the data mining effort was — and how it may have given Democrats an “unfair” data advantage going forward.

Carol Davidsen, former director of integration and media analytics for Obama for America, said the Obama campaign was able to “ingest the entire social network” in the United States.

“Where this gets complicated is, that freaked Facebook out, right? So they shut off the feature,” she added. “Well, the Republicans never built an app to do that. So the data is out there, you can’t take it back, right? So Democrats have this information.”

But Republicans do not have that information and they will not be able to gain access to it, she said.

More w/video:  https://ijr.com/ijr-red/2018/03/1077208-former-obama-campaign-facebook-data/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Of course. That was my first thought when this news came out. Suspend Cambridge, but Obama's lackeys got free reign. All the while, the same Facebook was burying conservative posts.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

The continued hypocrisy of the DEMS and their usual double standard.

Does anyone remember the results of the FTC's investigation into Facebook allowing the Obama campaign to mine personal data because "they were on the same side"?   :pondering:

FTC probing Facebook for use of personal data: report
The Hill, Mar 20, 2018

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is reportedly launching an investigation into Facebook over whether it violated terms of consent in the wake of reports a data firm harvested information from millions of profiles.

Bloomberg News reported Tuesday that the investigation relates to whether Facebook allowed Cambridge Analytica, the data firm used by the Trump campaign, to obtain some Facebook users’ personal data in violation of its policies.

“We are aware of the issues that have been raised but cannot comment on whether we are investigating," an FTC spokesperson said in an emailed statement. "We take any allegations of violations of our consent decrees very seriously as we did in 2012 in a privacy case involving Google.”

More:  http://thehill.com/policy/technology/379273-ftc-probing-facebook-for-use-of-personal-data-report?__twitter_impression=true

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Good information, RIV.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
There is something out saying .....

......."you think you are the customer at Facebook, but you are the product."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
There is something out saying .....

......."you think you are the customer at Facebook, but you are the product."

And, the corollary to that is: if the app is free to you, you aren't the customer.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Republicans are only beginning to catch up to the Democrats when it comes to data mining and social media exploitation.

As usual, the news media are being utterly disingenuous in their reporting about Cambridge Analytica, absolutely ignoring the obvious and well-known precedents as established by the Obama campaign's Organizing for America.

While I was working on the 2012 Republican presidential campaign, we constantly marveled at how brilliantly the Obama campaign was able to target their voters, household-by-household, using personalized messages and links.

When Democrats do it, the media cheers. When Republicans do it, they act like it's the Death of Democracy.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
In 2012 FB was trying to demonstrate their usefulness and centrality to political campaigns.  They had teams working with both Romney and Obama on data analysis, outreach, and more.  Some of my husband's peers were involved in this effort.  And at the time, data analysts were also beginning to warn about where this could lead.  Obama's people were much better at it than Romney's; OFA had a head start from 2008.  Crucially, neither campaign violated the terms of their agreements with FB.  As the Obama outreach woman discussed, everyone was simultaneously trying to figure out what was possible and what was ethical.  As we all know, when tech capability reaches and surpasses our moral code, we have a problem to catch up and address.

Between 2008 and 2012 iPads were introduced and smartphones began adoption.  This obviously opened up many, many more users to online platforms and created much more data to be harvested.  This has been the Wild West for the last 10 years, and very few actors have been able to keep up.  Certainly not Facebook, Twitter, or the US government.  They've had to continually play catch-up as the potential of these platforms became apparent.  That is why FB changed their terms to prevent third parties from accessing friends' data. 

Russia and Israel, in contrast, early on recognized the possibilities.  Actors like troll factories, data mining operations, etc., were pioneered by Russia. 

Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Every single politician (and business) worth their salt harvests data from Facebook, Google, and other sources like these.

People think they are Facebook's customers.

NO!

You are the product Facebook is selling. Your activity and everything about you is the commodity that is being sold to data miners.

These companies aren't in business out of the goodness of their heart or because they think social media is 'cool'. They are in the business to sell you, the product, to anyone who is buying.

Your personal data is standing on the street corner in a short skirt with no underwear on and these companies are your pimp.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Republicans are only beginning to catch up to the Democrats when it comes to data mining and social media exploitation.

As usual, the news media are being utterly disingenuous in their reporting about Cambridge Analytica, absolutely ignoring the obvious and well-known precedents as established by the Obama campaign's Organizing for America.

While I was working on the 2012 Republican presidential campaign, we constantly marveled at how brilliantly the Obama campaign was able to target their voters, household-by-household, using personalized messages and links.

When Democrats do it, the media cheers. When Republicans do it, they act like it's the Death of Democracy.

Cambridge Analytica is a global actor; they go far beyond a US political campaign.  This is not a US partisan issue -- this firm bribes and blackmails officials around the world and almost exclusively  works on behalf of commercial clients.  Cambridge Analytica also violated the terms of their agreement with FB by selling information they had been told to delete.  In a sense, they STOLE information from FB, although I'm not sure we have any laws in place to criminally charge them.  The US is pretty far behind in this area.

The 2016 campaign SHOULD NOT be the focus here.  Cambridge Analytica and entities like it are much, much bigger than that.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Applewood

I am SOOOOO glad I never had Twitter and gave up my Facebook account. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Cambridge Analytica is a global actor; they go far beyond a US political campaign.  This is not a US partisan issue -- this firm bribes and blackmails officials around the world and almost exclusively  works on behalf of commercial clients.  Cambridge Analytica also violated the terms of their agreement with FB by selling information they had been told to delete.  In a sense, they STOLE information from FB, although I'm not sure we have any laws in place to criminally charge them.  The US is pretty far behind in this area.

The 2016 campaign SHOULD NOT be the focus here.  Cambridge Analytica and entities like it are much, much bigger than that.

Ah, but it WILL be, because the Democrats and Media want it to be a Trump/Republican scandal so badly they'll sacrifice everything to make it one.

Welcome to the conservatives' world, @LauraTXNM.  Everything bad that happens gets twisted into something that is the right's fault.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I am SOOOOO glad I never had Twitter and gave up my Facebook account.

One thing I recommend to anyone is to not go completely off the 'social grid' but to, at the very least, stake your name and identity to at least the big ones (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn).

The reason is that someone (be it a personal or political enemy, someone you fired or worked with who didn't like you, or just a troll) could create an account in your name on any of those sites and use it to create a disparaging profile of you. I've seen this happen many times before. An ex wife/husband creating a fake account for his or her ex to make crude or racist comments. These type of things can come back to bite you with an employer or in other ways. If you have at least staked a claim to your real name, you can point to that to show what your real account is if someone tries to use your fake account. That will also give you an 'in' on those sites to have the fake account pulled.

You really can't hide from social media these days (to an extent). Instead, it is best to use it to control your image.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Yeah, but Obama was funky-hippy-choom gang-coffee shop-messiah-supercool.
The Republic is lost.

Offline aligncare

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yeah, but Obama was funky-hippy-choom gang-coffee shop-messiah-supercool.

You forgot "Lightworker."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
You forgot "Lightworker."

How disrespectful of me towards The Enlightened One!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:03:00 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.