Author Topic: Uber self-driving car kills Arizona woman, realizing worst fears of the new tech  (Read 6918 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
IMO, driving a car is one of life's greatest pleasures and freedoms. 

Not all driving is that great. Frankly it'd be nice to catch a few zzz's on the way to and from work. I just am extremely skeptical that this will ever be a thing.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
IMO, driving a car is one of life's greatest pleasures and freedoms.  In THAT order.

...especially if it's an M series BMW...sans the paddles.    :laugh:

What is the joy of turning over THAT to a robot?

I agree wholeheartedly, DC.  I personally drive a 6-speed Mazda3 with a 2.5 liter engine, and I love the experience of driving here in rural PA.  What will drive the sales of driverless cars is aging baby boomers heading into their geriatric years.  Driverless cars will afford them the luxury of avoiding assisted living for a number of years, and that is something for which they will pay dearly.

Driverless vehicles will have to be able to co-exist with human-driven cars for the foreseeable future.  But why not?  We have BOTH digital and brick-and-mortar retailing, BOTH ATMs and live tellers, BOTH self-checkout and assisted.  There is no reason we can't have all options available to everyone.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Not all driving is that great. Frankly it'd be nice to catch a few zzz's on the way to and from work. I just am extremely skeptical that this will ever be a thing.

It is already a "thing."  Both Mercedes and Nissan introduced "stay in your lane" cruise control this year.  This means you can put your car on automatic pilot when on the freeway and it will adjust its speed to the traffic and stay in its lane.  You can take your hands off the wheel and read the paper, drink your morning coffee, whatever, until it is time to exit the freeway.  All new cars will have this feature within 3 years or so.

In one of these cars you can take a trip across the country and only have to navigate the vehicle when you stop to eat or for petrol. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
It is already a "thing."  Both Mercedes and Nissan introduced "stay in your lane" cruise control this year.  This means you can put your car on automatic pilot when on the freeway and it will adjust its speed to the traffic and stay in its lane.  You can take your hands off the wheel and read the paper, drink your morning coffee, whatever, until it is time to exit the freeway.  All new cars will have this feature within 3 years or so.

In one of these cars you can take a trip across the country and only have to navigate the vehicle when you stop to eat or for petrol.

:shrug:

Maybe.

I don't see a computer being able to react as well as a human for every situation. For example how does a computer tell the difference between a paper bag and a rock? I read an article that stop signs with things stuck all over them (which is common around here) fool the computer into not realizing it's' a stop sign.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
DC,  You are so old you got your kicks on route 66!   :smokin:

"Cookie, Cookie....lend me your comb!"    :laugh:

Because of that show, bought a 64 Stingray convertible.   It was stolen off the street in Buffalo, NY, and they found it as part of a major stolen car ring...in Toronto, Canada two years later.

I paid 'only' $2,695. for it...back in 1966.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

I agree wholeheartedly, DC.  I personally drive a 6-speed Mazda3 with a 2.5 liter engine, and I love the experience of driving here in rural PA.  What will drive the sales of driverless cars is aging baby boomers heading into their geriatric years.  Driverless cars will afford them the luxury of avoiding assisted living for a number of years, and that is something for which they will pay dearly.

Driverless vehicles will have to be able to co-exist with human-driven cars for the foreseeable future.  But why not?  We have BOTH digital and brick-and-mortar retailing, BOTH ATMs and live tellers, BOTH self-checkout and assisted.  There is no reason we can't have all options available to everyone.

:beer:

Can't argue with that.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline thackney

IMO, driving a car is one of life's greatest pleasures and freedoms.  In THAT order.

...especially if it's an M series BMW...sans the paddles.    :laugh:

What is the joy of turning over THAT to a robot?

While I like driving, the 63 mile commute in rush hour traffic isn't one of my favorite activities. 

And I'm hoping the robot driver won't feel the need to rubberneck, looking at accidents on the other side of the median and causing our own major backup, now in both directions.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online DCPatriot

While I like driving, the 63 mile commute in rush hour traffic isn't one of my favorite activities. 

And I'm hoping the robot driver won't feel the need to rubberneck, looking at accidents on the other side of the median and causing our own major backup, now in both directions.

They need gigantic tarps to put up to conceal the fender benders....to keep the traffic moving.

Or....install portable speed cameras that work in reverse...MINIMUM speed 55mph or you get a ticket. 

:silly:

Offline Applewood

Can we just admit that this self-driving car crap is a bad idea and at best a pie in the sky fantasy?

Since I can't drive, I have joked that when these driverless cars become available,  I'm going to get one. 

But honestly, I don't think the driverless car concept will ever reach anything close to an acceptable level of reliability.  There will always have to be someone paying attention to road and traffic conditions to be able to override the technology in an emergency situation.  And that person will have to be an experienced, alert and licensed driver.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I can imagine the story in 1885.

Karl Benz Horseless Carriage Kills Pedestrian, realizing the worst fears in this new fangled technology.

An Karl Benz horseless carriage hit and killed a woman in Mannheim, Sunday night, an incident that might deliver a setback to the otherwise feverish development of this untested and dangerous new form of transportation.

The Benz horseless carriage was in 'internal combustion' mode when the accident occurred, but had a horse been pulling the carriage, as is the norm when on our streets, according to Mannheim police.

Karl Benz issued a statement saying that it was "fully cooperating with local authorities." In wake of the incident, the horseless carriage company has temporarily halted its horseless testing in Mannheim, as is its policy following any accident.

The woman, who has not yet been named, was crossing outside the designated crosswalk at about 10 p.m. when she was hit, police said....

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:44:45 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Since I can't drive, I have joked that when these driverless cars become available,  I'm going to get one. 

But honestly, I don't think the driverless car concept will ever reach anything close to an acceptable level of reliability.  There will always have to be someone paying attention to road and traffic conditions to be able to override the technology in an emergency situation.  And that person will have to be an experienced, alert and licensed driver.

I think it will become the norm.  We will have to change the way traffic flows, but that will happen. 

And, I love driving, but I hate commuting.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
:shrug:

Maybe.

I don't see a computer being able to react as well as a human for every situation. For example how does a computer tell the difference between a paper bag and a rock? I read an article that stop signs with things stuck all over them (which is common around here) fool the computer into not realizing it's' a stop sign.

Actually, they are better than humans at identifying things.  They "learn" from every experience and share their knowledge with all the other driverless cars.  So if one runs a stop sign because it e=was unrecognizable, it wll "learn" the pattern that makes it a stop sign and then adjust its programming accordingly, and pass on the info to all the other driverless cars.  These cars are way better at that than humans.

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/googles-self-driving-car-is-ridiculously-safe

The accident rate of driverless cars is about half that of human driven cars.  Why?  Because half of all accidents are cause by the other guy.  They almost never get into accidents on their own.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
They need gigantic tarps to put up to conceal the fender benders....to keep the traffic moving.

Or....install portable speed cameras that work in reverse...MINIMUM speed 55mph or you get a ticket. 

:silly:

I like!  Especially the reverse speed camera... :beer:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
....The accident rate of driverless cars is about half that of human driven cars.  Why?  Because half of all accidents are cause by the other guy.  They almost never get into accidents on their own.

..and the technology is still in its infancy. Moore's law still is working and processing power is growing at a rapid rate. The processing power needed to get where we are now wasn't even readily available a few years ago (in the power/size need). Imagine this technology in 5 years at the current rate of growth.

Offline Frank Cannon

I never heard a guy who drives a '78 Volare say that before, but bully for you.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I never heard a guy who drives a '78 Volare say that before, but bully for you.

I thought it was a Volvo.... :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
..and the technology is still in its infancy. Moore's law still is working and processing power is growing at a rapid rate. The processing power needed to get where we are now wasn't even readily available a few years ago (in the power/size need). Imagine this technology in 5 years at the current rate of growth.

I'd like to see Moore's law work a little more in simulators than continue testing these on the street with live people.  Or, if they must do it, then do it in their own burgs like San Jose, not Phoenix.  That way they can have the skin in the game (literally), rather than passing it to somebody else.
I will NOT comply.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I'd like to see Moore's law work a little more in simulators than continue testing these on the street with live people.  Or, if they must do it, then do it in their own burgs like San Jose, not Phoenix.  That way they can have the skin in the game (literally), rather than passing it to somebody else.

Can't we just let the Roy Moore stuff die? 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Can't we just let the Roy Moore stuff die?

Can't be helped, none of the cars are over 16 years old.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL. Top Notch!

Offline WingNot

Well...there you go!   :beer:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

It is Uber that is using Arizona.  Google has been testing its technology, with very positive results, in both New York and California for a number of years.  Tesla is also testing driverless technology, mostly in California.

Offline WingNot

Tesla is also testing driverless technology, mostly in California.

We all saw how well that worked out.