Author Topic: Should You Get Tested for Food Sensitivities?  (Read 369 times)

rangerrebew

Should You Get Tested for Food Sensitivities?
« on: March 19, 2018, 03:54:02 pm »

Should You Get Tested for Food Sensitivities?
Learn the facts before wasting your money and sanity on scientifically sketchy tests, this pro begs.

By Tamara Duker Freuman, Contributor |March 12, 2018, at 10:49 a.m.

For years when new patients came to my clinical nutrition practice and filled out paperwork that asked them to list their food allergies or intolerances, their answers were predictable and understandable. They'd often list foods like peanuts or shellfish, which are among the top eight food allergens in the U.S. and represent the allergies least likely to be outgrown after childhood. In the spring and fall allergy seasons, patients would frequently list foods like raw apples, peaches or carrots, which commonly cause itchy mouth or throat in people with severe pollen allergies – a common condition called oral allergy syndrome. Finally, I'd see dairy or lactose listed pretty often, which made perfect sense to me as a clinician working in a racially and ethnically diverse place like New York City: the majority of the world's non-European/Caucasian population develops lactose intolerance at some point before adulthood.

https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/articles/2018-03-12/should-you-get-tested-for-food-sensitivities