Author Topic: Cambodia Joins China for Military Drills as US Relations Cool  (Read 396 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Cambodia Joins China for Military Drills as US Relations Cool

PHNOM PENH, CAMBODIA  —

Hundreds of Cambodian and Chinese soldiers began a 15-day joint military exercise in central Cambodia this week, involving live-fire rocket launches from helicopters, mock tank battles, and anti-terrorism and emergency relief training. China will reportedly also donate tanks and armored personnel carriers on the occasion.

The unprecedented show of military cooperation, dubbed “Golden Dragon,” is the latest sign that the long-ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) is relying on Beijing to further shore up its control of the country through growing diplomatic, economic and military support, according to analysts.

They say increased Chinese military support will also aid the Cambodian army’s balance of power with its neighbors. But some warn that Cambodia’s suspension of planned joint exercises with the U.S. military last year signals Phnom Penh’s growing divide with Washington and its regional allies, as well as other Asian countries that seek to counter China’s aspirations for regional primacy.

Read more at: https://www.voanews.com/a/cambodia-china-joint-military-drills-us-relations-cool/4302875.html

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Cambodia Joins China for Military Drills as US Relations Cool
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 03:18:52 am »
We aren't perfect at human rights, nor with nations we favor but I think we try.

Cambodia has some president now, who's basically staying in power un-democratically iow, he's a dictator. China and Russia generally, don't seem to have much problem just supporting whomever is in power.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:20:08 am by TomSea »

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Re: Cambodia Joins China for Military Drills as US Relations Cool
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:27:34 am »
Yikes, I obviously haven't been paying enough attention to Cambodia.  I find it extremely creepy that the Communist party leader/continuing President is a Khmer Rouge. 

I don't blame the US for standing up to Cambodia over the end of their democracy.  But I wish we had continued to keep a toe in the water there.  You're right, China doesn't care what their client states do internally.  I know a lot of people didn't like the TPP, but it would have maintained our presence in SE Asia.

There is an interesting in-depth BBC radio report about China's relations with Kenya.  There individual Chinese citizens are settling in; a few are creating mixed families.  Curious to see if that is happening in Cambodia.

BTW, @TomSea, thanks for sharing VOA!  It's a news source I've never really followed, but the articles are quite thorough.  More to read -- yay!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:10:13 pm by LauraTXNM »
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.