Author Topic: White House Officials Made To Sign Non-Disclosure Agreements: Washington Post  (Read 1288 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
(Reuters) - President Donald Trump ordered senior staff after they joined the White House to sign non-disclosure agreements following several leaks in the early months of his administration, the Washington Post reported on Sunday.

The agreements stipulated officials could face monetary penalties if they disclosed confidential White House information to the press or others, and were intended to remain in effect after Trump was no longer president, according to the report.

https://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idINKBN1GV0DC
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Paying their salaries must be really tough on Cohen’s home equity line.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I thought this was illegal?

Online Right_in_Virginia

I thought this was illegal?

Non-disclosure, Non-Compete and Non-Disparagement Agreements are SOP in the private sector.

The agreements are drawn with legal review to prevent the agreement from being thrown out in court if/when it is breached.   The key to a successful agreement is the reasonableness of its definitions and parameters.  Some are thrown out in court, but many are not.

Forced testimony (subpoena) in a legal dispute will override an agreement regardless of its reasonableness.

Offline Hoodat

Hillary Clinton signed a non-disclosure aggreement.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Non-disclosure, Non-Compete and Non-Disparagement Agreements are SOP in the private sector.

The agreements are drawn with legal review to prevent the agreement from being thrown out in court if/when it is breached.   The key to a successful agreement is the reasonableness of its definitions and parameters.  Some are thrown out in court, but many are not.

Forced testimony (subpoena) in a legal dispute will override an agreement regardless of its reasonableness.

Do you think it's legal for these agreements to remain in effect after Trump leaves the White House?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Do you think it's legal for these agreements to remain in effect after Trump leaves the White House?

Why wouldn't they be?

Offline LauraTXNM

Why wouldn't they be?

I was thinking about the confidentiality of all White House dealings and just wondering.

Hmmm, isn't Omarosa supposed to be writing a book? 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online Right_in_Virginia

I was thinking about the confidentiality of all White House dealings and just wondering.

Hmmm, isn't Omarosa supposed to be writing a book?

The parameters/definition of "confidentiality" are standard in the agreement and, other than Non-Competes, do not usually include a sunset provision --- this would need to be added to the agreement.  If a breach is triggered, the situation will almost always go before the courts.

I do not know if Omarosa signed any agreement while working at the WH ... but if she did, writing a book would likely trigger legal action.

What is most interesting about this, IMO, is this is the first time private sector SOP is being applied to WH personnel.  I'm sure it will go before a judge sooner or later ---someone's going to bitch about it.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:10:53 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline LauraTXNM

The parameters/definition of "confidentiality" are standard in the agreement and, other than Non-Competes, do not include a sunset provision.  If a breach is triggered, the situation will almost always go before the courts.

I do not know if Omarosa signed any agreement while working at the WH ... but if she did, writing a book would likely trigger legal action.

@Right_in_Virginia  Thanks for the explanation; I'd wondered about that.  Do you think Bannon could be sued for violating a NDA?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:34:34 pm by LauraTXNM »

Offline edpc

From June 2016.....

“When people are chosen by a man to go into government at high levels and then they leave government and they write a book about a man and say a lot of things that were really guarded and personal, I don’t like that,” Trump said in March.

Trump’s campaign would not make the candidate available for an interview to expand on his comments.

The real estate mogul did acknowledge to the Post that “it’s a different thing” to require federal government employees to sign nondisclosure forms.

http://fortune.com/2016/06/21/donald-trump-nda/

Offline aligncare

Sounds reasonable to me. Look at the chaos that results from leaks. They can interfere in the process of negotiations between executive and legislative branches and can put doubt in the minds of voters and may even improperly sway election results.

They could cause inaction and delay for weeks or months the administration of necessary changes to federal regulations. Elected officials may become embroiled in controversy over false or misleading information put out by disgruntled low level staffers.

Leaks are not helpful in my opinion. But to be clear, there is a difference between the purposes of leaking of information and what whistleblowers are attempting to do in identifying corruption or mismanagement.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Sounds reasonable to me. Look at the chaos that results from leaks. They can interfere in the process of negotiations between executive and legislative branches and can put doubt in the minds of voters and may even improperly sway election results.

They could cause inaction and delay for weeks or months the administration of necessary changes to federal regulations. Elected officials may become embroiled in controversy over false or misleading information put out by disgruntled low level staffers.

Leaks are not helpful in my opinion. But to be clear, there is a difference between the purposes of leaking of information and what whistleblowers are attempting to do in identifying corruption or mismanagement.

Whistleblowers are protected under separate legislation and the courts have upheld their rights.

Offline Concerned

The WaPo piece being referenced in the link in the OP is actually an opinion piece written by Ruth Marcus (who's decidedly anti-Trump from what I've seen).  As noted in the link from the OP there was speculation in the WaPo piece that staffers signed the agreement assuming it was legally unenforceable due to the first amendment.  From the referenced WaPo opinion piece (which I think is behind a paywall):

Unlike employees of private enterprises such as the Trump Organization or Trump campaign, White House aides have First Amendment rights when it comes to their employer, the federal government. If you have a leaker on your staff, the cure is firing, not suing.

“This is crazy,” said attorney Debra Katz, who has represented numerous government whistleblowers and negotiated nondisclosure agreements. “The idea of having some kind of economic penalty is an outrageous effort to limit and chill speech. Once again, this president believes employees owe him a personal duty of loyalty, when their duty of loyalty is to the institution.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-nondisclosure-agreements-came-with-him-to-the-white-house/2018/03/18/226f4522-29ee-11e8-b79d-f3d931db7f68_story.html?utm_term=.76c1958b77ad
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:56:45 am by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline edpc

As the article from Fortune magazine noted, this is less about leaks and security in the administration and more about staff members potentially writing books that are less than flattering. That’s rather amusing, considering he’s the king of disparagement.  I believe he will quickly find out there are different rules for Trump the businessman and Trump the president.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:07:52 pm by edpc »

Offline LauraTXNM

@Concerned @edpc  Thanks for the helpful links, you all!

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
The parameters/definition of "confidentiality" are standard in the agreement and, other than Non-Competes, do not usually include a sunset provision --- this would need to be added to the agreement.  If a breach is triggered, the situation will almost always go before the courts.

What is most interesting about this, IMO, is this is the first time private sector SOP is being applied to WH personnel.  I'm sure it will go before a judge sooner or later ---someone's going to bitch about it.

Just out of curiosity RIV, do you have a degree in law of some sort?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Leaks are not helpful in my opinion. But to be clear, there is a difference between the purposes of leaking of information and what whistle blowers are attempting to do in identifying corruption or mismanagement.

But in the same light, wouldn't the non-disclosure agreements prevent one from whistle blowing or testifying?  Isn't this what the Stormy Daniels lawsuit is about?  Supposedly she signed a non-disclosure agreement of some sort stating that she wouldn't discuss or admit to having an affair with Trump?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
But in the same light, wouldn't the non-disclosure agreements prevent one from whistle blowing or testifying?  Isn't this what the Stormy Daniels lawsuit is about?  Supposedly she signed a non-disclosure agreement of some sort stating that she wouldn't discuss or admit to having an affair with Trump?

I don't think an NDA can be used in a criminal situation. 

Offline LauraTXNM

I think she's arguing that Trump never signed the agreement, so it's void?

Offline Victoria33

All Trump company employees have to sign nondisclosure document when they leave.  He's doing what he did with his company.

Online Right_in_Virginia

But in the same light, wouldn't the non-disclosure agreements prevent one from whistle blowing or testifying?  Isn't this what the Stormy Daniels lawsuit is about? 

No and no.