Author Topic: How McConnell and Chao used political power to make their family rich  (Read 553 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

News
How McConnell and Chao used political power to make their family rich

By Larry Getlen

March 17, 2018 | 10:26pm

Peter Schweizer, who delved into the Clinton Foundation’s dealings in 2016’s “Clinton Cash,” has turned his sights to the money-making machinations of DC’s political elite.

His new book, “Secret Empires: How the American Political Class Hides Corruption and Enriches Family and Friends,” — due out Tuesday from Harper Collins — exposes how politicians engage in “corruption by proxy” by exploiting family and business ties to enrich themselves and their relatives.

Here, The Post’s Larry Getlen details the book’s revelations on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao, ex-Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker and others:

In 2004, current Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and his wife, current US Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao, had an average net worth of $3.1 million. Ten years later, that number had increased to somewhere between $9.2 million and $36.5 million.

One source of the windfall, according to a new book from Peter Schweizer, was a 2008 gift from Chao’s father, James Chao, for somewhere between $5 million and $25 million. But this gift could be seen as more than just a gift. It may have been acquired, according to Schweizer, thanks to the couple’s fealty to China, the source of the Chao family fortune. And that fealty may have occurred at the expense of the nation they had pledged to serve.

more
https://nypost.com/2018/03/17/how-mcconnell-and-chao-used-political-power-to-make-their-family-rich/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: How McConnell and Chao used political power to make their family rich
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 11:04:20 pm »
I'm shocked. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 11:28:14 pm »
I'm shocked.

The corruption, graft and grift is beyond our wildest imaginations by those who are in the halls of power in D.C.

And it is now too big, too institutionalized, and too vital to how government works and operates, to even contemplate arresting and fixing it.

Not by civil means anyway.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 11:31:15 pm »
This is why it's hard to get excited about GOP candidates and why they are going down big time in November.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 11:37:26 pm »
This is why it's hard to get excited about GOP candidates and why they are going down big time in November.

That suits McConnell just fine.  He gets more traction by pleading with the slaves on the plantation the they need more money to fight the big bad Democrat agenda and stop the war on coal, and repeal ObamaCare root and branch - and then say that they couldn't deliver because they need more money and power.

The encouragement for their base to continue practicing insanity.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online DB

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 11:40:01 pm »
The Clintons and the Reid family stand as pretty extreme examples too... Any of that in the book?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 11:46:13 pm »
I'm shocked.

I'm not!  Not in the least bit!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 11:46:46 pm »
Wait until McConnell starts making money had over fist from investments in companies getting contracts on the $1T infrastructure program his wife will oversee.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 11:47:17 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 12:07:08 am »
The Clintons and the Reid family stand as pretty extreme examples too... Any of that in the book?

The author already wrote the Clinton book.  Probably won't write a Reid book because he's out of the Senate and nobody besides us cares.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 12:12:51 am »
Interesting. I always thought these two were rich because Elaine inherited the "Ancient Chinese Secret".

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 01:16:12 am »
Interesting. I always thought these two were rich because Elaine inherited the "Ancient Chinese Secret".

No, no wong round eye...

...it was Chinese who inherit very special AMERICAN secret for donation to Birry Cwinton.  You forget.  We make-a him wich. An waater his wife come and make most special deaw, so we make-a dem eben more wich.  You no memory good.  We make Senate leader wich by make-a him look other way.   We no put no more good luck in his fortune cookies!