Author Topic: How about that? Revenue stays the same after massive tax cut  (Read 1649 times)

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
How about that? Revenue stays the same after massive tax cut
« on: March 16, 2018, 10:20:04 pm »

The latest budget figures from the Treasury Department demonstrate a concept we already knew but too many politicians continue ignore – we have a spending problem, not a revenue problem.

One would have expected gross revenue to plummet in February once the new tax rates were applied to withholdings for this year. My withholdings dropped already for the last two weeks in January but by February everyone should have seen the effects of the tax cut and revenue to the Treasury should have shrunk noticeably. After all, on some measure this was the largest tax cut in history. Yet compared with February 2017, gross revenue was nearly unchanged. It actually ticked up very slightly by $1.36 billion.

What gives?

It’s called economic growth. With more people working and more economic growth leading to upward mobility and higher wages, even though the Treasury lost some cash on withholdings, overall it has not lost revenue.

While withholdings for individual income taxes did decline slightly – from $116.7 billion to $110.7 billion – that is not nearly as much as one would have predicted had the Congressional Budget Office’s static analysis of massive revenue loss been actualized. Gross corporate tax revenue was essentially unchanged and the revenue loss from individual incomes taxes was made up through…you guessed it: more people having jobs. Payroll taxes as well as other sundry taxes and fees increased. Which means more people are working and the economy is growing. We now know that 313,000 jobs were created in February and 653,000 rejoined the labor force..............

https://www.conservativereview.com/articles/revenue-stays-massive-tax-cut/
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Concerned

Re: How about that? Revenue stays the same after massive tax cut
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 11:16:11 pm »
It'll be interesting to see what happens over the full year.  As noted by the link in the OP:

Obviously it’s still way too early to assess the budgetary effects of the tax cuts as much as we already assessed the economic effects and there is no doubt that over the course of a full year corporate tax revenue will fall and individual withholdings will decrease.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 11:29:13 pm »
Not everyone had their taxes lowered by this "tax cut"...

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 11:31:08 pm »
I’m applying it to my mortgage principle.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 04:09:07 pm »
When we have to mobilize the entire country to invade Europe and the Pacific and ration rubber and gasoline, I'll find time to worry about Keynesian Economic/Intentionally skewed 'Wealth is a Closed System/Finite Amount' BS hampering Govt. funding.

http://keynesatharvard.org

Oh Dear Lord! If ONLY, If ONLY, tax cuts alone could downsize Govt. by starving it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:09:28 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 09:40:37 pm »
Imagine that, all the predictions of the democrats have fallen flat.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 02:39:20 pm »
I’m applying it to my mortgage principle.

I think you meant "principal".
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 03:06:38 pm »
Not everyone had their taxes lowered by this "tax cut"...

You mean like the unemployed. Welfare peoples. Bums and such?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Concerned

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 03:10:08 pm »
You mean like the unemployed. Welfare peoples. Bums and such?

And folks who live in high state, local, and property tax states who have now had their SALT deduction limited to $10K.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 03:34:10 pm »
And folks who live in high state, local, and property tax states who have now had their SALT deduction limited to $10K.

Ah, those bums.   :smokin:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline DB

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 05:54:16 pm »
Ah, those bums.   :smokin:

Ya I'm one of those bums, but I have a plan...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 06:10:40 pm »
Is your position, those that live in high tax locations, should be subsidized by those in low tax locations?

I say this as a disappointed, nearly lifelong and native born Californian.

The stupidity of my state's government, should not fall on other's shoulders or wallets.

It already does however, in the form of federal contributions to the ill-conceived "high speed train."

https://www.google.com/search?q=california+high+speed+train+financing&num=20&newwindow=1&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:m&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil_qye_fjZAhUHJZQKHX-tD_sQpwUIIA&biw=1201&bih=634
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Concerned

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 06:23:53 pm »
Is your position, those that live in high tax locations, should be subsidized by those in low tax locations?

I say this as a disappointed, nearly lifelong and native born Californian.

The stupidity of my state's government, should not fall on other's shoulders or wallets.

It already does however, in the form of federal contributions to the ill-conceived "high speed train."

https://www.google.com/search?q=california+high+speed+train+financing&num=20&newwindow=1&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:m&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil_qye_fjZAhUHJZQKHX-tD_sQpwUIIA&biw=1201&bih=634

No it is not my position that "high tax locations, should be subsidized by those in low tax locations".  I was merely pointing out that there were some people beyond the "unemployed. Welfare peoples. Bums and such" who didn't get tax breaks, and that not "everyone" got a tax cut as Trump has stated in the past:  folks like DB and myself apparently.

@truth_seeker

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 07:30:19 pm »
No it is not my position that "high tax locations, should be subsidized by those in low tax locations".  I was merely pointing out that there were some people beyond the "unemployed. Welfare peoples. Bums and such" who didn't get tax breaks, and that not "everyone" got a tax cut as Trump has stated in the past:  folks like DB and myself apparently.

@truth_seeker

The full effects won't hit until we pay 2018 taxes, right?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 07:35:29 pm »
The full effects won't hit until we pay 2018 taxes, right?

That's right, but depending upon your situation and your deductions losing SALT above $10K may result in what will obviously be a tax increase when we pay our 2018 taxes in April 2019.  I'm clearly in that boat.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:45:25 pm by Concerned »

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 07:42:05 pm »
That's right, but depending upon your situation and your deductions (or lack thereof) losing SALT above $10K may result in what will obviously be a tax increase when we pay our 2018 taxes in April 2019.  I'm clearly in that boat.

We're definitely there, too.  And despite my husband working for a very large company, we haven't seen any change in our paycheck, etc.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 01:00:31 pm »

But spending went up.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 07:18:47 pm »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 09:10:17 pm »
But spending went up.

@Hoodat, you just don't know how to do DC Accounting!

You see, they said revenue would fall.  But it stayed the same.  So that's an increase from the baseline.

Now, they can spend all that extra money and everything works out!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 06:07:56 pm »
We're definitely there, too.  And despite my husband working for a very large company, we haven't seen any change in our paycheck, etc.

Why would the size of the company have anything to do with changes in your income tax withholding?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 08:21:10 pm »
Why would the size of the company have anything to do with changes in your income tax withholding?

@thackney As I said, we haven't seen *any change in our paycheck* -yet-, and my husband works for a large company.  According to Trump, the media, and Pelosi's "crumbs", many large companies have been paying bonuses and raising salaries already because of their lower tax burden.  I'm curious that has not been true for my family's company, and it is one of the Fortune 500.

I wasn't referring to our tax withholding.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:21:38 pm by LauraTXNM »

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 08:28:52 pm »
@thackney As I said, we haven't seen *any change in our paycheck* -yet-, and my husband works for a large company.  According to Trump, the media, and Pelosi's "crumbs", many large companies have been paying bonuses and raising salaries already because of their lower tax burden.  I'm curious that has not been true for my family's company, and it is one of the Fortune 500.

Thanks for clarifying.  I saw an significant change in my take home pay due to the tax change.  It was the result of the change in withholding with the new tax law.  I "assumed" you were talking about that change.

Cheers!
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 08:30:33 pm »

Thanks for explaining!  I, too, work for a large company, and we have an entire HR department to fix the salaries, and an incentive system that pays out twice a year.  I expect if there are salary increases and out-of-the-blue bonuses going out, it would be among the smaller employers that don't have a rigid salary and bonus systems already in place.

In a large company I see no reason for either of those things to be affected by the Tax Reform law (although I might see incentives to make Capital Purchases change).  I did see the tax withholding change, but I know better than to consider extra throwing around money.  April still happens every year.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:31:37 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 08:38:54 pm »
Thanks for explaining!  I, too, work for a large company, and we have an entire HR department to fix the salaries, and an incentive system that pays out twice a year.  I expect if there are salary increases and out-of-the-blue bonuses going out, it would be among the smaller employers that don't have a rigid salary and bonus systems already in place.

In a large company I see no reason for either of those things to be affected by the Tax Reform law (although I might see incentives to make Capital Purchases change).  I did see the tax withholding change, but I know better than to consider extra throwing around money.  April still happens every year.i

@Cyber Liberty  Doesn't it just!  I'd love to skip it just once ;).  I'll have to ask my hub -- I didn't see a withholding change?