Author Topic: Update: 6-10 reported killed. At least 6 injured in Florida International University bridge collap  (Read 4523 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: At least 6 injured in Florida International University bridge collapse
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 07:50:26 pm »
Have they blamed Governor Scott, yet?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 07:51:24 pm »
Gov Scott is enroute to the site.   Guess we can expect some anti bridge legislation now.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2018, 08:00:29 pm »
Something similar happened in Baltimore years ago. The pedestrian bridge collapsed across I-695, during rush hour. A tractor-trailer carrying a backhoe was too tall. It struck a main support and brought the bridge down.  IIRC, the driver was foreign.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:02:44 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online DB

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 08:01:16 pm »
I suspect the "one of a kind" may hold for a long time.  The finished version was supposed to include suspension cables not yet installed.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/west-miami-dade/article204506084.html

That explains a lot. Thank you. I wonder if unauthorized people were up on the incomplete/unsupported span checking out the view and overloaded it or if it simply failed on its own. You would have thought the supporting tower would have been one of the first things up and then both spans placed at the same time and supported until at least some of the upper cables were attached.

Online libertybele

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2018, 08:17:47 pm »
Miami/Dade.  Zimbabwe or Russia....  A distinction without a difference.

:beer:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2018, 08:20:26 pm »
That explains a lot. Thank you. I wonder if unauthorized people were up on the incomplete/unsupported span checking out the view and overloaded it or if it simply failed on its own. You would have thought the supporting tower would have been one of the first things up and then both spans placed at the same time and supported until at least some of the upper cables were attached.

Why would they allow people to use the bridge if it isn't finished.  IF the project wasn't finished, that would mean that it shouldn't have passed a final inspection and certainly people shouldn't have been allowed to use it.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 08:25:00 pm »
I suspect the "one of a kind" may hold for a long time.  The finished version was supposed to include suspension cables not yet installed.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/west-miami-dade/article204506084.html

It sure looks very similar to this pedestrian bridge that was built several years ago across I-4 in the Lake Mary area.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 08:38:09 pm »
No, it's Trump's fault. 

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/03/15/impeach-him-now-meet-the-twisted-trolls-trying-to-pin-fiu-bridge-collapse-on-trump/

O! M! G!

I'm incredulous that people can be so profoundly stupid. I can remember how idiotic people looked when they were suffering from BDS. TDS is BDS on steroids.  *****rollingeyes*****

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline thackney

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 08:45:45 pm »
The collapse might have involved defective steel from Japan (Kobe Steel Co.) or Russia (Red October Steel Co.).

I'm betting on not fully supported, partial construction.  I've seen more than one temporary construction supports before the final is done thrown together and inadequate.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Millee

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 09:03:08 pm »
O! M! G!

I'm incredulous that people can be so profoundly stupid. I can remember how idiotic people looked when they were suffering from BDS. TDS is BDS on steroids.  *****rollingeyes*****

It really is.   :wtf!:

Online DB

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 09:20:44 pm »
Why would they allow people to use the bridge if it isn't finished.  IF the project wasn't finished, that would mean that it shouldn't have passed a final inspection and certainly people shouldn't have been allowed to use it.

It isn't a matter of "letting" people. It is a matter if it was well barricaded so they couldn't get access when the construction crew isn't present - if that was an issue at all. Just possible speculation and we're talking about college kids...

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2018, 09:36:06 pm »
A local college had illegals do some work on new dorms, mostly masonry. The "workers" proceeded to defecate into unconnected toilets. Who knows why they thought that made sense.

Picture this:  Cancun, Mexico (?), circa 1985.  Looking at a vacation condo.  Nope.  The rebar was wire clothes hangers.  Small golf course on a small island with a cute little bridge.  They forgot to put in pipes for fresh water.  I guess they thought the lovely grass could handle salty water.  They ended up using a garden hose.

I am glad I was there as Cancun was being built.

Puerta Vallarte circa 1982:  Watched as bottled water was being filled with a hose.

There were so many more really disgusting things in Mexico when @Cyber Liberty and I were on a cruise there.   We, for the most part, stayed on the ship. I do not like Mexico.

Are these people interrelated a little bit too much?  I  know a few sayings, but I will not post them.

**nononono*
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2018, 09:45:10 pm »
O! M! G!

After watching it unfold on TV, my first thought was:  How are Republicans going to be blamed.  I guess even that step was missed.

*****rollingeyes*****

"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Can anyone explain why they didn't do this work with the road closed instead of during a workday with flowing traffic? Idiots.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2018, 10:13:36 pm »
Getting crushed by a huge slab of falling concrete has to be one of the more bad ways to go.

Like a shoe on a bug.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2018, 10:18:28 pm »
No, it's Trump's fault. 

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/03/15/impeach-him-now-meet-the-twisted-trolls-trying-to-pin-fiu-bridge-collapse-on-trump/

The silliest posts were those claiming this was evidence of the infrastructure crisis.  This was new construction!

My prayers to the families of the victims.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline the_doc

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2018, 10:20:09 pm »
The silliest posts were those claiming this was evidence of the infrastructure crisis.  This was new construction!
Perzackly.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
There was no middle tower support for this long concrete bridge...no wonder it collapsed.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

There was no middle tower support for this long concrete bridge...no wonder it collapsed.

Which would indicate that it was engineered very poorly. Instant bridges?  Perhaps the engineer needs to rethink that idea.  :whistle:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Which would indicate that it was engineered very poorly. Instant bridges?  Perhaps the engineer needs to rethink that idea.  :whistle:

I'm sure they're rethinking real hard about now.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Reading various Miami Herald articles,
1) the students were on spring break, thank God!
2) there were workers on the bridge, possibly doing a stress test.  I can't find anything about injured workers, though.
3) the "instant" technique has been used in several major projects in the area without incident.
4) the bridge wasn't scheduled to open until next year (?)
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline RoosGirl

The rendering shows a middle support.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The rendering shows a middle support.

As someone who works on medical devices, I can tell you having extra parts after re-assembly isn’t good.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline RoosGirl

As someone who works on medical devices, I can tell you having extra parts after re-assembly isn’t good.

Did I miss the part in the article that said that it was not installed?