Author Topic: Congress Chooses To Protect FDA Rules Over Rights Of Terminally Ill Patients  (Read 335 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
By Jim Jamitis
https://www.redstate.com/jimjamitis/2018/03/14/congress-chooses-protect-fda-rules-rights-terminally-ill-patients/

Republicans introduced a bill that would allow terminally ill patients to try unapproved or experimental medications or treatments but the legislation was defeated in a 259 -140 vote . . .

. . . Democrats seldom if ever support anything that would weaken any federal agency, program, or regulation. Washington knows best what is good for you . . .

. . . It’s true that the FDA does allow some patients to receive unapproved or experimental drugs, but why should a terminally ill patient who wants to try an experimental treatment as a last ditch lifesaving effort be forced to get approval from Washington to do so?

. . . Opponents callously referred to the legislation as “false hope" . . . It just seems strange that in a society where support for assisted suicide seems to be growing and where abortion is religiously protected as a fundamental human right, there are left leaning groups opposing a terminal patient’s right to choose to accept risks in their quest to live longer.
------------------------------------------
Note: This bill had the support of both the president and the vice president. Appropriately.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
"On Monday, more than 75 patient groups, including the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, the American Lung Association and the Cystic Fibrosis Association, had sent a letter to House leaders saying the bill 'would not increase access to promising therapies' because it didn't deal with the main barriers to experimental drugs  — the cost of drugs and company restrictions on making therapies available outside of clinical trials."

I side with the patient disease and care groups here.  I think this bill was more or less window-dressing.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.