Author Topic: Pennsylvania underlines GOP struggle to hold Trump coalition  (Read 632 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pennsylvania underlines GOP struggle to hold Trump coalition
« on: March 14, 2018, 04:23:29 pm »
Pennsylvania underlines GOP struggle to hold Trump coalition
By Reid Wilson - 03/14/18 09:26 AM EDT

The tight-as-a-tick race to replace disgraced former Rep. Tim Murphy (R) in a suburban and exurban Pittsburgh district Tuesday is jolting already nervous Republicans who worry their majorities may be wiped out in a wave election this fall.

With 100 percent of precincts reporting, Democrat Conor Lamb, who has declared victory, leads Republican state Rep. Rick Saccone by two-tenths of a percentage point, a little more than 600 votes. Several thousand absentee votes from across the district remain to be counted, though they are not likely to change the outcome.

more
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bilo

Re: Pennsylvania underlines GOP struggle to hold Trump coalition
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 04:30:55 pm »
nervous Republicans who worry their majorities may be wiped out

Then why did they turn their backs on the voters who elected them. The Pubs won majorities promising to repeal obamacare and they didn't do it. The Pubs ran on immigration reform and they didn't do it. Why should the base be excited?
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 04:44:37 pm »
nervous Republicans who worry their majorities may be wiped out

Then why did they turn their backs on the voters who elected them. The Pubs won majorities promising to repeal obamacare and they didn't do it. The Pubs ran on immigration reform and they didn't do it. Why should the base be excited?

You ought to just shut up and vote republican if you know what's good for you./ sarc

It's pretty clear the GOP base is NOT excited, and probably because they heard the lies before, and they don't believe it this time.  Just my guess.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 05:54:39 pm »
You ought to just shut up and vote republican if you know what's good for you./ sarc

It's pretty clear the GOP base is NOT excited, and probably because they heard the lies before, and they don't believe it this time.  Just my guess.

It's pretty clear the GOP base does not exist @Once-Ler   We can't win national elections or regional elections with anyone on the GOP political scene that is not named Donald Trump.

My warning to you is:  Be wary of what you celebrate.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 06:26:57 pm »
It's pretty clear the GOP base does not exist @Once-Ler   We can't win national elections or regional elections with anyone on the GOP political scene that is not named Donald Trump.

You think I'm celebrating?  Bless your heart.

Offline bilo

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 10:36:24 pm »

Disgust with broken promises doesn't mean I'm celebrating as they get defeated by an even worse alternative. I'm just not willing to go along with being lied to on a regular basis.

Offline bilo

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 10:40:31 pm »

Boy oh boy my blood was starting to boil and then I saw the /sarc. I should have know it was sarcasm before then, but after so many years of supporting the Pubs and them always letting me down I get more agitated about them then I should. I'm sure a big part of that is I'm mad at myself for being played the fool for so long.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 11:14:16 pm »

An interesting thing 'Bout these losses showing a huge blue wave. Is that in every case I have looked at... there has not been a great increase in D vote. Where there has been an increase it was met with a corresponding R increase.

Case in point PA18. There were about 230,000 votes cast.  It would appear that the democrats are not turning out more voters or switching R voters. Just R's are not going to the polls. Hope an actual election year, this is not what we see.

Typically R's show up to vote in midterms... the democrat coalition of regressive left and racists/welfare voters only like the Big Show..Presidential elections. Probably the welfare leaches have better things to do.... "what vote evry two years..are you kidding me"

https://ballotpedia.org/Pennsylvania%27s_18th_Congressional_District
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 11:17:20 pm »
I guess I'm going to analyze this differently. The Dems have a highly motivated subset of their base (plus all the cheating they can get away with) to get those votes out. They are dumping millions into these races. That said they could only beat Sad Sack Saccone by .2%. This doesn't bode well for them in the general.

However it doesn't bode well for the GOP if they can't generate some enthusiasm and better candidates, or the will get nipped in these close races when their base doesn't turn out.

I still say it's in the GOP's hands to win this, and if they lose it will not be any great achievement by the Dems, just a sack lack of momentum and effort by the Reps.

The Republic is lost.