Author Topic: Trump to name Larry Kudlow as top economic adviser: report  (Read 1056 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump to name Larry Kudlow as top economic adviser: report
« on: March 14, 2018, 05:14:30 pm »
Trump to name Larry Kudlow as top economic adviser: report
By Avery Anapol - 03/14/18 12:51 PM EDT

President Trump will reportedly name economist Larry Kudlow as his new chief economic adviser, replacing Gary Cohn.

Trump may make the official announcement as early as Thursday, according to CNBC, where Kudlow has served as a senior contributor.

Trump has suggested that he would name Kudlow as Cohn's replacement, saying Tuesday that Kudlow had a "good chance" of taking the helm of the National Economic Council.

Cohn announced his resignation from the White House last week after Trump went ahead with new tariffs on imported steel and aluminum, something Cohn lobbied against.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/378385-trump-to-name-larry-kudlow-as-cohn-replacement-report
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline SirLinksALot

Re: Trump to name Larry Kudlow as top economic adviser: report
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 06:34:05 pm »
This looks like another pick that will end up in a firing. Why bother?

Trump is for tariffs while Kudlow is adamantly against it ( he even recently penned an op-ed against it ).

And Kudlow, unlike Trump, is more of an open borders sort of guy.

I don't understand how Trump's mind works. Why not be consistent and choose someone who is wholly on board with your economic agenda?

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 06:55:31 pm »
I don't understand how Trump's mind works. Why not be consistent and choose someone who is wholly on board with your economic agenda?

Because then he couldn't do his favorite thing on a regular basis.....

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 06:57:58 pm »

Trump is for tariffs while Kudlow is adamantly against it ( he even recently penned an op-ed against it ).

I don't understand how Trump's mind works. Why not be consistent and choose someone who is wholly on board with your economic agenda?[/size]

Because he enjoys the conflict.     ****slapping

Or so he says.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:58:37 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 06:59:52 pm »

@SirLinksALot

How many people with the skills, experience and reputation to do this job are available and willing?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 07:03:28 pm »
Because then he couldn't do his favorite thing on a regular basis.....

Originally, he wanted someone else to do it, or send the recipient a tweet/text.  Mark Burnett said that would make lousy TV, however. It makes sense that he fires people through Twitter, since he hired Hicks through Tinder.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 03:03:34 am »

Originally, he wanted someone else to do it, or send the recipient a tweet/text.  Mark Burnett said that would make lousy TV, however. It makes sense that he fires people through Twitter, since he hired Hicks through Tinder.
Well played, sir.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 05:45:37 am »
@SirLinksALot

How many people with the skills, experience and reputation to do this job are available and willing?

That is a good point.  Are there any reputable modern isolationist/populist economists?  (that's a serious question if anyone wants to lead me in that direction.)

Whatever the reason...though it pains me to say it Cheers for President Trump.  It is a solid pick.  I hope Kudlow sticks around for awhile.  It is going to be an extremely hard job to reign in the President, pull Trump's feet out of Trump's mouth, and soldier on to his eventual firing or surrender.  I don't wonder why he is taking the job.

I wonder how many people with the skills, experience and reputation to do this job are available and willing too?

Offline Concerned

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 11:17:43 am »
@SirLinksALot

President Trump claimed Tuesday night that “many people” want to be his next chief economic adviser hours after Gary Cohn resigned from the position.

“Will be making a decision soon on the appointment of new Chief Economic Advisor. Many people wanting the job - will choose wisely!” Trump tweeted.

<snip>

"The White House has tremendous energy, it has tremendous spirit. It is a great place to be working. Many, many people want every single job," Trump said.

"I could take any position in the White House and I'll have a choice of the 10 top people having to do with that position, everybody wants to be there," he added.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/377097-trump-many-people-want-to-replace-cohn-as-top-economic-adviser
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 12:29:48 pm »

I listen to the Larry Kudlow financial show but I’ve never heard him say he’s adamantly against the tactical use of tariffs. I have heard him say he’s not a fan of tariffs, though.

But, Kudlow is a long time friend of Donald Trump’s and along with Steven Moore, helped to formulate Trump’s economic policies. He’s a loyal friend and ally. I’m certain whatever differences they have Trump and Kudlow thoroughly discussed it before making this announcement.

On a personal note I can’t understand why people must continually assume that Trump is somehow unaware of the issues that might affect his Administration’s performance. Trump is a highly intelligent man, despite his use of the rough language which always seems to somehow trigger his critics.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 12:37:28 pm »
I listen to the Larry Kudlow financial show but I’ve never heard him say he’s adamantly against the tactical use of tariffs. I have heard him say he’s not a fan of tariffs, though.

But, Kudlow is a long time friend of Donald Trump’s and along with Steven Moore, helped to formulate Trump’s economic policies. He’s a loyal friend and ally. I’m certain whatever differences they have Trump and Kudlow thoroughly discussed it before making this announcement.

On a personal note I can’t understand why people must continually assume that Trump is somehow unaware of the issues that might affect his Administration’s performance. Trump is a highly intelligent man, despite his use of the rough language which always seems to somehow trigger his critics.

Here's "Kudlow's Corner" on Trump's tariffs.  He appears pretty adamantly against them to me:

But even if tariffs save every one of the 140,000 or so steel jobs in America, it puts at risk 5 million manufacturing and related jobs in industries that use steel. These producers now have to compete in hyper-competitive international markets using steel that is 20 percent above the world price and aluminum that is 7 to 10 percent above the price paid by our foreign rivals.

In other words, steel and aluminum may win in the short term, but steel and aluminum users and consumers will lose. In fact, tariff hikes are really tax hikes.

‎Some of those 5 million jobs will be put in harm's way. And if they sell less to foreigners, the trade deficit goes up, not down.

Since so many of the things Americans consumers buy today are made of steel or aluminum, a 25 percent tariff will likely get passed on to consumers at the cash register. This is a regressive tax on low-income families.

Trump should also examine the historical record on tariffs, because they have almost never worked as intended and almost always deliver an unhappy ending.

I think the entire article is worth a read.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/03/kudlow-mr-president-tariffs-are-really-tax-hikes.html

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 12:52:07 pm »
Only time enough to skim it. But, yes Kudlow is no fan of tariffs. However, he is a fan of President Trump’s and would not have accepted the position unless he agreed to certain conditions and I believe he and his good friend Trump reached an accord. There will be no firings in the future.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 12:55:36 pm »
There will be no firings in the future.

Until there are.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Concerned

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 01:35:46 pm »
Only time enough to skim it. But, yes Kudlow is no fan of tariffs. However, he is a fan of President Trump’s and would not have accepted the position unless he agreed to certain conditions and I believe he and his good friend Trump reached an accord. There will be no firings in the future.

In the near-term future, I agree. It seems as though it's exceedingly important to this President to have people around him whom he likes and with whom he gets along. His family and Kudlow's family socialize together. They obviously get along. If they're both happy with this appointment, that's great!!  I think the President should surround himself with any advisors he wants (as long as they're qualified and aren't a security risk, which Kudlow probably passes with flying colors). 

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 02:01:30 pm »

Trump is consistent.  He doesn't listen to his advisers; so it really doesn't matter who he appoints, they are merely filling up a slot in a position that needs to be filled.  Trump is a narcissistic demagogue and most of us knew this before he took his oath of office.  Most of us also realize that he wasn't about to listen to his advisers, especially on issues that he feels he knows better; one of them being economics.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 02:04:00 pm »
In the near-term future, I agree. It seems as though it's exceedingly important to this President to have people around him whom he likes and with whom he gets along. His family and Kudlow's family socialize together. They obviously get along. If they're both happy with this appointment, that's great!!  I think the President should surround himself with any advisors he wants (as long as they're qualified and aren't a security risk, which Kudlow probably passes with flying colors).

Yes, it would seem that he's selected his cronies to various different positions.  However, it seems he and his supposed buddies after awhile don't get along and so he fires them.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 02:08:15 pm »
Another talking head from the world of TV.

DJT is hell bent in turning the executive branch of this government into his personal reality TV show.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 02:30:38 pm »
How in Hades does Kudlow expect to get a security clearance, if he needs one? His record of drug abuse alone is sufficient to quash it.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 02:42:21 pm »
Another talking head from the world of TV.

DJT is hell bent in turning the executive branch of this government into his personal reality TV show.

Talking head?

began his career as a staff economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York

first term of the Reagan administration (1981–1985), Kudlow was associate director for economics and planning in the Office of Management and Budget (OMB)

Kudlow was also an advisory committee member of the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation

In April 2005, New York Governor George Pataki included Kudlow in a six-member state tax commission

Kudlow's name was floated by Republicans as a potential Senate candidate in either Connecticut or New York in 2016

1987 Kudlow was hired by Bear Stearns as its chief economist and senior managing director. Kudlow also served as an economic counsel to A. B. Laffer & Associates, the San Diego, California, company owned by Arthur Laffer, a major supply-side economist

member of the board of directors of Empower America, a supply-side economics organization founded in 1993 and merged in 2004 with the Citizens for a Sound Economy to form FreedomWorks

Kudlow became Economics Editor at National Review Online (NRO) in May 2001

Don’t let your hate for Donald Trump <STOP IT>
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:01:24 pm by MOD3 »

Offline edpc

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 02:44:13 pm »
How in Hades does Kudlow expect to get a security clearance, if he needs one? His record of drug abuse alone is sufficient to quash it.

Hahaha.....the other day in a different thread, I was just kidding around and asked if a junkie would be next, since they already dismissed a wife beater and a gambler for not passing their background check.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 02:51:14 pm »
I guess all you Trump kneepadders have left is personal attacks.  I'd be pissed too, if I had to defend this buffoon 24/7.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:00:05 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 02:59:30 pm »
Talking head?

Yeah dufous, I guess that CNBC gig must have been a figure of my imagination. :silly:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 03:00:22 pm »
I guess all you Trump kneepadders have left is personal attacks.  I'd be pissed too, if I had to defend this bufoon.

Trump kneepadders: Another way of saying “Don’t bother me with the facts. I didn’t read no stinkin’ Larry Kudlow biography.”

Offline MOD3

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 03:02:07 pm »
No more personal insults.  Stick to the topic or take a break.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 03:03:02 pm »
I guess all you Trump kneepadders have left is personal attacks.  I'd be pissed too, if I had to defend this buffoon 24/7.

Ignore the personal attack, why don't you deal with the counter-arguments these folks provide?