Author Topic: Trump goes silent on national debt while racking up $1 trillion in 14 months  (Read 678 times)

Offline Suppressed

Trump goes silent on national debt while racking up $1 trillion in 14 months
President Trump at this time last year was crowing over the debt, which stood at $19.947 trillion and quickly dipped after his inauguration. He took to Twitter to demand credit.
By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Thursday, March 15, 2018
https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/mar/15/donald-trump-adds-1-trillion-national-debt-14-mont

President Trump has now amassed his first $1 trillion in debt, crossing that ignominious mark late last week — and analysts said it’s just a taste of what’s to come after the tax-cuts and spending spree of recent months.

Indeed, his next $1 trillion could come within a year, and one analyst said he could soon be staring at $3 trillion annual deficits if things go particularly badly in interest rates.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Concerned

Some would have us believe this is simply the new "conservative" (from the link in the OP):

"Brian Riedl, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research, said the tax and spending bills will add about $3 trillion to the debt, in addition to $10 trillion already baked in from previous government spending patterns."
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Note: Congress is in charge of the money
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Concerned

Note: Congress is in charge of the money

But the President submitted a budget on February 12 that has years and years of deficit spending, requires the government to borrow $1T this year, and adds $7.2T to the debt over 10 years.  Sure, Congress has to approve the budget and appropriate the funds, but it seems almost certain to me that the budget approved by Congress will likely be worse for the debt.  I can't imagine it being better.  After all, the President has established the initial baseline, and it's bad the debt.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:00:30 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Some would have us believe this is simply the new "conservative" (from the link in the OP):

"Brian Riedl, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research, said the tax and spending bills will add about $3 trillion to the debt, in addition to $10 trillion already baked in from previous government spending patterns."

They are, but we rightly mocked Obama for QE programs and doubling the debt, after he said this:

‘The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government can not pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that “the buck stops here.” Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.’
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Stevensr123

For years the republican party that call them selves as "conservatives" have been going on and on about spending, the deficit, the debt etc

and yet they are gonna do nothing about it!! infact it's looking likely that they will be rocking up more debt than even the democrats! how is that the right and just way to go about it?