Author Topic: Sleeping in rooms with even a little light can increase risk of depression: Study  (Read 968 times)

Offline Suppressed

Sleeping in rooms with even a little light can increase risk of depression: Study
DR. NAJIBAH REHMAN Mar 10, 2018, 10:27 AM ET
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/sleeping-rooms-lighting-increase-risk-depression-study/story?id=53636492

Exposure to light at night, even at very low levels, has been linked to an increased risk of depression, according to a study published this month in the American Journal of Epidemiology.

In general, nighttime light has been shown to disrupt internal sleep/wake cycles, which is an ever-growing concern as more people are using their phones and tablets in bed, or leaving the TV on as they sleep.

A study says that the more poorly lit a room is, the higher the risk is for depression and other ailments.

But the new report goes further, measuring bedroom exposure to low levels of nighttime light using a portable light meter attached to the bed. Researchers followed nearly 900 elderly people in Japan for two years and assessed symptoms of depression and tested sleep/wake patterns throughout the night.

They took into account weight, smoking or drinking habits, income level and medication use. Histories of high blood pressure, diabetes and physical activity level were also noted.

Checking in two years after their baseline measurements, those exposed to more than five “lux” of light each night had higher rates of depression. That standard measure, one “lux,” is the amount of light that shines from a candle if you are sitting 1 meter away.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Bedroom Light Exposure at Night and the Incidence of Depressive Symptoms: A Longitudinal Study of the HEIJO-KYO Cohort
Kenji Obayashi; Keigo Saeki; Norio Kurumatani
American Journal of Epidemiology, Volume 187, Issue 3, 1 March 2018, Pages 427–434, https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwx290

Abstract

Previous studies have indicated that minimal exposure to light at night (LAN) increases depression risk, even at 5 lux, in nocturnal and diurnal mammals. Although such low-level LAN may affect human circadian physiology, the association between exposure to LAN and depressive symptoms remains uncertain. In the present study, bedroom light intensity was measured objectively, and depressive symptoms were assessed, during 2010–2014 in Nara, Japan. Of 863 participants (mean age = 71.5 years) who did not have depressive symptoms at baseline, 73 participants reported development of depressive symptoms during follow-up (median, 24 months). Compared with the “dark” group (average of <5 lux; n = 710), the LAN group (average of ≥5 lux; n = 153) exhibited a significantly higher depression risk (hazard ratio = 1.89; 95% CI: 1.13, 3.14), according to a Cox proportional hazards model adjusting for age, sex, body mass index, and economic status. Further, the significance remained in a multivariable model adjusting for hypertension, diabetes, and sleep parameters (hazard ratio = 1.72; 95% CI: 1.03, 2.89). Sensitivity analyses using bedroom light data with a cutoff value of ≥10 lux suggested consistent results. In conclusion, these results indicated that exposure to LAN in home settings was independently associated with subsequent depression risk in an elderly general population.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Interesting, I do have a lot of mood lighting in my room.

Online Polly Ticks

I detest any hint of light in the room when I'm trying to sleep; it definitely disturbs my rest.  Full moon nights are rough.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I have reverse SAD. This wouldn't work for me, but thanks @Suppressed
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:27:45 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
Interesting, I do have a lot of mood lighting in my room.

Me, too.  Depending on my mood.

With all of these kitties around here, I have to have light near the floor.  They might get squished with my feet as I am trying to find out what that noise was in the living room.  Oh, just another cat knocking over a lamp or something.

I always liked the pink bulb, eh?
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant

Are you okay? Are those storms getting to you?
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

@Freya, does that mean you don't do well in the summertime?

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
@Freya, does that mean you don't do well in the summertime?

Yes. It's weird but I do better in cold and dark. Hot and sunny really bother me. I really can't stand heat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yes. It's weird but I do better in cold and dark. Hot and sunny really bother me. I really can't stand heat.

Interesting.  I absolutely hate the cold/dark weather, but luckily we don't have much of that down here!  But, I like to be outside a lot so maybe that's the difference.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
I just can't tolerate heat. I don't know why. Beaches and tropical places are an anathema to me.

And my fair skin, I turn lobster red, peel, and I'm back to being fair again. I don't think the sun likes me. :(

Actually Fall is my favorite time of year. The leaves are so pretty

Offline thackney

Do you have a reflection in mirrors?

just kidding, have a great day!
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

@Freya, you're welcome.  What is reverse SAD, if I may ask?  Does that mean your mood goes down with the summer season?  If so, this still might be of interest, as I think this had to do with sleep disruption.

+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

I'm the same.  Have been that way since childhood.
+++++++++