Author Topic: Trump Is More Like Recent Presidents Than Anyone Wants To Admit  (Read 823 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
On trade, foreign policy, and so much more, he's Clinton, Bush, and Obama without the charm and respect. That can be a good thing.
By Nick Gillespie
http://reason.com/blog/2018/03/12/trump-is-more-like-recent-presidents-tha

The flipside of Trump Derangement Syndrome, whose strongest form argues that the president is an "extinction-level threat" to democracy itself, is Trump Exceptionalism Syndrome, which holds that Trump is the greatest leader since Winston Churchill, the biblical kings David and Cyrus, or whomever.

Recent events reveal something more mundane: Trump is all too much like the other recent inhabitants of the White House. We are neither living through the End Times nor at the start of New Dawn. Instead of entering some sort of political Singularity, we're still stuck in the Regularity. Trump is not a transformative character. Once we accept that, we can support the good things he does (supporting school choice, cutting corporate tax rates and regulations) while criticizing the bad (waving away due process, throwing in with white supremacists, and deporting immigrants, among other things).

Trump's decisions to levy tariffs on steel and aluminum clearly fall into the bad category. They are idiotic, indefensible, economically counterproductive, and...not so different than similar policies levied by both George W. Bush and Barack Obama. Both of those guys pulled similar tricks on steel, after all . . .

. . . So when it comes to trade, Trump is doing exactly what recent presidents—conservative and liberal, Republican and Democratic—have done. It's lamentable, but FFS, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is out there saying she's "not afraid of tariffs" and that we need to chuck over free-er trade because it helps the corporations. She's also protecting her brand, so she's refusing to say whether she supports Trump's tariffs, his pullout from the Trans-Pacific Partnership, or his renegotiation of NAFTA. But she plainly does, right? She just can't admit it, because it would screw up the narrative to admit that she and Trump—and Bush and Obama—actually share the same views on a bunch of stuff . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DB

Re: Trump Is More Like Recent Presidents Than Anyone Wants To Admit
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 07:16:41 pm »
Bush wasn't a "conservative" President.

That was the problem.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 07:20:23 pm »
Bush wasn't a "conservative" President.

That was the problem.
@DB
A major problem. Which enough still don't like to admit.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:39:34 pm »
@DB
A major problem. Which enough still don't like to admit.

Bush the Elder's picture should be in the foreground next to the Junior.  He hated Reagan's policies.  I always said that era should not be considered Reagan/Bush and then Clinton, but should have been Reagan and then Bush/Clinton.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:09:13 pm »
Bush the Elder's picture should be in the foreground next to the Junior.  He hated Reagan's policies.  I always said that era should not be considered Reagan/Bush and then Clinton, but should have been Reagan and then Bush/Clinton.
@Cyber Liberty
I suspect that President Lips II got the prominence because, unlike his old man, he had two terms to wreak mischief.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 10:17:25 pm »
I've been saying since the election that the new boss is the same as the old boss (Obama).

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 10:23:06 pm »
Show some proof that Reagan reduced the size, power and cost of the fedgov.

There are several articles here, to review.

https://www.google.com/search?num=20&newwindow=1&source=hp&ei=IfWmWo3IC-uF0wLSiLTQDg&q=government+growth+reagan&oq=government+growth+reagan&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0i22i30k1.1170.12424.0.14561.25.22.0.2.2.0.126.2010.21j1.22.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.24.2046.0..0j35i39k1j0i131k1.0.lFthzE4wJnA
There was also a splendid chapter, "The Failure of the Reagan Gambit," in David Frum's book Dead Right. In that chapter, he argued primarily
that Reagan's aims could have been achieved but weren't, primarily because Reagan

a) was unable to persuade Capitol Hill to resist the rise of social welfare spending;

b) A decade of what Frum described as "stealthy tax increases" eroded the Reagan tax cuts where spending hikes didn't
(how often did we hear and remember that Reagan would ask for spending cuts in return for some of those "stealthy" tax
increases, Congress would say yes, then when it came time to sign the deals Congress essentially told him "eff you" when
he asked, essentially, "ok, I gave you those little taxes, where did my spending cuts go?");

c) The specific Kemp-Roth tax cut was made null and void by rising Social Security taxes;

d) Reagan himself wasn't really calling for real spending cuts in the first place---he called merely for slowing the growth
of spending hikes.

e) Assorted and sundry Reagan aides and even Cabinet members who breathed fire over slashing big government suddenly
found themselves making peace with the bastard once they got into the government---even men like Bill Bennett, Ed Meese,
and William French Smith.

f) Reagan himself was an inconsistent fiscal conservative. Wasn't it so that he often said he wasn't trying to undo the New
Deal since he himself voted for FDR four times, he was only trying to undo Lyndon Johnson's Great Society?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:25:21 pm by EasyAce »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 10:50:48 pm »
So even our most idolized and much beloved "true conservative," fails to live up to his legacy.

I accept that. I only suggest we have realistic expectations for all of our candidates and officeholders.

In Reagan's era, he probably had some democrats that were more conservative thatn a few Republicans now.

Today there is not a single democrat that votted to repeal or relplace Obamacare.

(but there wasn't a single Republican that voted for it at passage.)

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DB

Online DB

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 10:57:40 pm »
I will say this about Reagan's spending.

Defense and related spending crushed the USSR. It bankrupted them trying to keep up. There was some significant payoff for it.

Now we throw a trillion here, a trillion there in "infrastructure" projects which has no real payoff.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 11:58:30 pm »
So even our most idolized and much beloved "true conservative," fails to live up to his legacy.
I don't idolise officeholders at any level of government.

I consider government to be the nation's largest organised crime family.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 12:05:40 am »
I like this line from the article:

Trump is all too much like the other recent inhabitants of the White House. We are neither living through the End Times nor at the start of New Dawn. Instead of entering some sort of political Singularity, we're still stuck in the Regularity.

Or UNIPARTY which is what I like to call the creature that pretends it is a dual party system while fleecing the voters of their liberty while pandering for their support for more power and more of their money.

I don't idolise officeholders at any level of government.

I consider government to be the nation's largest organised crime family.

Ditto.  And worse than just a crime family.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 12:10:55 am »
Trump is God.

Offline RoosGirl

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 12:16:56 am »
ZZzzzzZZzz

Tired of winning? Donny said that could happen.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 12:18:18 am »
Tired of winning? Donny said that could happen.

Tired of you using that same ol worn out bait so I hoped if I took a bite you move on to something new.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 12:21:17 am »
Tired of you using that same ol worn out bait so I hoped if I took a bite you move on to something new.

Tell me about it. People are losing their minds around here. It reminds me of when I was a kid back in the 40's and people were writing "Tippy Canoe and Tyler Too" all over the GD place.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 12:26:02 am »
Tell me about it. People are losing their minds around here. It reminds me of when I was a kid back in the 40's and people were writing "Tippy Canoe and Tyler Too" all over the GD place. 

The 1840s.  And you're off your game...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 12:31:07 am »

Did you think I meant the 1740's? Don't be absurd.

That does remind me of my favorite joke from my childhood though....

While passing a house on the road, two Virginia salesmen spotted a "very peculiar chimney, unfinished, and it attracting their attention, they asked a flaxen-haired urchin standing near the house if it 'drawed well' whereupon the aforementioned urchin gave them the stinging retort: 'Yes, it draws all the attention of all the damned fools that pass this road.'

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 12:56:59 am »

I don't know if you should pick on Frank just because he's old.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 04:07:56 am »
Recent presidents did not defeat ISIS, they did not negotiate with strength against a renegade and very dangerous country like North Korea, that remaining to be seen how that concludes but it is well known that at least, the last 3 Presidents dropped the ball on this if not aiding the NK regime. So, this is just typical never-Trump garbage.