Author Topic: Is Truth an Outdated Concept?  (Read 423 times)

rangerrebew

Is Truth an Outdated Concept?
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:42:33 pm »
Is Truth an Outdated Concept?

Are we living in a post-truth world?

By Michael Shermer | Scientific American March 2018 Issue

In 2005 the American Dialect Society's word of the year was “truthiness,” popularized by Stephen Colbert on his news show satire The Colbert Report, meaning “the truth we want to exist.” In 2016 the Oxford Dictionaries nominated as its word of the year “post-truth,” characterizing it as “relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief.” In 2017 “fake news” increased in usage by 365 percent, earning the top spot on the “word of the year shortlist” of the Collins English Dictionary, which defined it as “false, often sensational, information disseminated under the guise of news reporting.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-truth-an-outdated-concept/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:43:06 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Is Truth an Outdated Concept?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 01:01:47 am »
Truth -- that old fashioned concept -- don't matter no mo' in the world of science.

These days, "consensus" is where it's at...

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 01:08:36 am »
It is being celebrated that we are a post-Christian culture so naturally we will also be post-Truth and post-Principles in society.

Which explains where we now find ourselves as a culture and society.

The consequences of which are, shall we say... not good.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Concerned

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 01:20:49 am »
I believe truth and accuracy will always matter to honorable people.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 02:00:42 am »
I believe truth and accuracy will always matter to honorable people.

@Concerned Agreed.  And to moral people, which is not limited to Christians.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 02:19:51 am »
@Concerned Agreed.  And to moral people, which is not limited to Christians.

I've witnessed 'morality' as practiced in the third world.

It is nothing at all remotely like what you or I would call morality - which was built on and based on a biblical construct.

A post-Christian/post biblical culture - adopting the 'morality' of non-Christians - hands us things like Sharia Law and homosexual marriage and the elimination liberty to a wholly different construct of morality.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775