Author Topic: Trump To Buck NRA - Push To Raise Minimum Rifle Purchase Age to 21  (Read 1654 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Trump To Buck NRA - Push To Raise Minimum Rifle Purchase Age to 21
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 05:09:19 pm »
The meme in government and media circles is to ban "any item that increases the rate of fire of the stock firearm".

@INVAR and what is laughable about that is that there are some shooters that can pull a trigger faster than a bump  stock allows others to pull it.

That means the government would literally have to regulate the trigger finger of some shooters.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 05:11:54 pm »
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3621648/
Retiring of the pre-frontal cortex isn't complete until 25.  That's the "rational" part of the brain.

I don't know how to explain it, you all.  But it's demonstrable.

http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/youngadult/brain.html

All the more reason it needs to be trained early.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 05:17:21 pm »
When you consider the average life expectancy of a person in the era from 1750 to 1800 was 36 years, http://www.legacy.com/life-and-death/the-liberty-era.html, someone who was 21 then was like someone who is in their 40s today.

Your post was excellent. However, I have to point out that your equivalency here is incorrect.  The low life expectancy was (as the source you cited pointed out) because of the huge prevalence of childhood death.  If you made it to 21, your life expectancy wasn't too far behind ours today.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 05:34:24 pm »
Trump is doing well to try to represent everyone and not an extremist fringe.

Your Political savior is representing the SHALL INFRINGE constituency upon the Second Amendment very well.

Notwithstanding his representation of constituents who want to infringe upon the First Amendment as well.

Trump does not represent the SHALL NOT INFRINGE groups very well.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 06:50:36 pm »
@LauraTXNM
Yes, women should not be allowed to vote until they are 21.   We seriously need to look at all the Constitutionally protected rights.

No, no, no!  Women should only be allowed to vote if they don't have their periods!!!
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 06:58:52 pm »
Oh I don't know.

Maybe we should ask these guys:

Ah yes.......... the "Infant" ry............ perhaps the Romans knew what they were doing when they sent undeveloped brains into the battle first.

(Not in ANY way disparaging the bravery of these young men.  But their is a correlation between raw courage and lack of maturity).

As for what age is an adult....... many are not in their 70's (as we see daily), so for me it's a tough call as to whether or not the legal age of adulthood is 18 or 21.   

Some are adults at 18.  Some never.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 06:59:39 pm »
Your post was excellent. However, I have to point out that your equivalency here is incorrect.  The low life expectancy was (as the source you cited pointed out) because of the huge prevalence of childhood death.  If you made it to 21, your life expectancy wasn't too far behind ours today.

You are correct.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 07:11:45 pm »
There is definitely some conflict of minimum age in the U.S.  At the age of 18, one is considered an adult and can vote, purchase cigarettes and join the military.  However, one cannot drink until they are 21.  Now there is a proposal to up the age to which one can purchase a firearm to 21.

So...I think if one is considered an adult at age 18, it is absolutely ridiculous to stipulate that even though they are adults, they cannot drink or purchase firearms until they are 21!

Perhaps the answer is to raise the age of adulthood to 21, allowing the individual the right to vote, purchase cigarettes, join the military, drink, purchase firearms, etc., which I believe is much more logical. IMHO, 18 is too young for adulthood!  They are still teenagers!

Most gun ranges have age restrictions for rentals where 18 year olds may be restricted to certain classes of weapons. These restrictions have been in place forever at these places. Never once did I hear the NRA complain.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 11:45:57 am »
@Suppressed @musiclady

Making it to 21 meant, of course, you had done things most 30 year-olds haven't today, and taken those physical risks without the assistance of antibiotics to keep you from dying of infection or the benefits of considerably better medical care today. Between vaccines and antibiotics (keep in mind the real jump in life expectancy occurs after WWII), more than three decades have been added, on average.
But I would also opine that in an era when life was so easy to lose, it was valued all the more, and that cultural influence (that recognition that life was, indeed, fragile and precious), was ingrained in those families who lost children at an early age. Today that gift is taken for granted to a great degree in our society. How is that reflected?

Of course, the modern life expectancy figures do not include those who never made it out of the womb in one piece because of abortion. If you factor those 50 + million in since Roe at zero, I think the numbers would shift. Whether you would count these as nonviable or just DOA, those deaths are not factored in.

We have reached the era when the single greatest threat to a child's life is not disease, guns, terrorists, or accident, but its mother.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:48:06 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 11:58:19 am »
Ah yes.......... the "Infant" ry............ perhaps the Romans knew what they were doing when they sent undeveloped brains into the battle first.

(Not in ANY way disparaging the bravery of these young men.  But their is a correlation between raw courage and lack of maturity).

As for what age is an adult....... many are not in their 70's (as we see daily), so for me it's a tough call as to whether or not the legal age of adulthood is 18 or 21.   

Some are adults at 18.  Some never.
Here, again,we see a cultural division. In WWII, those from rural backgrounds had often been doing a man's work for years before they signed up, even if they had to lie about their age to get in.  On the farm/ranch, being able to lift it, catch it, handle it was the only requirement, whether you were 12 or you were 18.  If you could do the job, you got it. Even today, there are 14 year olds driving grain trucks and operating tractors and combines, vehicles larger and heavier than most adults will ever drive. But in the late 30s, this was a more common experience in rural America than it is today, after suburbia became more widespread. Many of those men (average age in their 20s) had been doing a man's work for a decade or more. With that came the responsibility and the cultural bias toward individual responsibility we seem to have hammered out of vast numbers of American Youth today.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2018, 12:48:12 pm »
Here, again,we see a cultural division. In WWII, those from rural backgrounds had often been doing a man's work for years before they signed up, even if they had to lie about their age to get in.  On the farm/ranch, being able to lift it, catch it, handle it was the only requirement, whether you were 12 or you were 18.  If you could do the job, you got it. Even today, there are 14 year olds driving grain trucks and operating tractors and combines, vehicles larger and heavier than most adults will ever drive. But in the late 30s, this was a more common experience in rural America than it is today, after suburbia became more widespread. Many of those men (average age in their 20s) had been doing a man's work for a decade or more. With that came the responsibility and the cultural bias toward individual responsibility we seem to have hammered out of vast numbers of American Youth today.

Yep, when it came to getting a driver's license, I had 4 years experience driving a truck by then.  8 years with tractors and motorcycles.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer