Author Topic: Trump unscripted and unleashed in Pennsylvania stump speech  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump unscripted and unleashed in Pennsylvania stump speech
CNN, March 10, 2018, YouTube

! No longer available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke4FykCxwcc

Re: Trump unscripted and unleashed in Pennsylvania stump speech
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 12:11:19 pm »
Grab a cup of coffee ... sit back and enjoy!!

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 12:23:17 pm »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 04:40:10 pm »
Grab a cup of coffee ... sit back and enjoy!!
Maybe I'm getting too old, but it's like a circus sideshow, or Roman gladiator spectacle.  I can't enjoy it without feeling some shame and embarrassment, and just like watching a snuff film, the act of watching it changes you.  I don't know what you saw, but I saw the same extemporaneous excrement that drove me from the party.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 05:47:47 pm »
This is one of those things that his base will love, but won't really help him expand beyond that.  :shrug:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 05:51:16 pm »
Maybe I'm getting too old, but it's like a circus sideshow, or Roman gladiator spectacle.  I can't enjoy it without feeling some shame and embarrassment, and just like watching a snuff film, the act of watching it changes you.  I don't know what you saw, but I saw the same extemporaneous excrement that drove me from the party.

You, and a lot of the rest of us who were lifetime Republicans until this clown came along and revealed how base the base really is.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 09:43:08 pm »
This is one of those things that his base will love, but won't really help him expand beyond that.  :shrug:

I respectfully disagree @Weird Tolkienish Figure ... the President is increasing support in the Rust Belt .... trampling through the Democrat's safe territory.

I think from a purely strategic POV this is amazing, something no other Republican -- candidate or President -- since Ronald Reagan has even attempted.

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 09:53:29 pm »
I respectfully disagree @Weird Tolkienish Figure ... the President is increasing support in the Rust Belt .... trampling through the Democrat's safe territory.

I think from a purely strategic POV this is amazing, something no other Republican -- candidate or President -- since Ronald Reagan has even attempted.

http://theconversation.com/george-w-bush-tried-steel-tariffs-it-didnt-work-92904

Offline DB

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 10:00:53 pm »

That is how populism is done.

The actual outcome be damned.

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 10:01:53 pm »
   Sure, RiV this BS AND the Rest of American pays in inflationary costs for consumer goods directly tied to his steel tariffs so he can win PA-18.  I'm still not convinced USW will vote for him when the initial euphoria wears off by 2018.   #MAGA

I almost forgot to ask you about his positive remarks concerning DACA~'We need the Workers'? 
   Care to explain to us Rubes why this will the next best thing?

*didn't bother PINGing because you have me on Ignore.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 10:05:06 pm »

@Once-Ler Your comment rings so true, and it unfortunately also is applicable to so many elements of our culture ;(.  I don't think the answer is *more Christianity*, but we definitely need something to help us appeal to the better angels of our nature.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:06:34 pm by LauraTXNM »
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 10:08:48 pm »
http://theconversation.com/george-w-bush-tried-steel-tariffs-it-didnt-work-92904

Big whoop @Once-Ler .  Just about everything GWB tried domestically didn't work --- especially anything to do with the economy.  Global economics and fair trade simply weren't in Dubya's wheelhouse.  But this is a discussion for another thread.

Returning to this one, you're jumping over something very important:  The rust belt put Donald Trump in the Oval Office --- and as President he is expanding this support, not creating it.

This is, dare I say, the kind of guts and vision we've come to love and expect from our President.   ^-^

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 10:11:36 pm »
@Once-Ler Your comment rings so true, and it unfortunately also is applicable to so many elements of our culture ;(.  I don't think the answer is *more Christianity*, but we definitely need something to help us appeal to the better angels of our nature.

Did you watch the video of the rally posted up thread @LauraTXNM ?

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 10:16:10 pm »
Big whoop @Once-Ler .  Just about everything GWB tried domestically didn't work --- especially anything to do with the economy.  Global economics and fair trade simply weren't in Dubya's wheelhouse.  But this is a discussion for another thread.

Returning to this one, you're jumping over something very important:  The rust belt put Donald Trump in the Oval Office --- and as President he is expanding this support, not creating it.

This is, dare I say, the kind of guts and vision we've come to love and expect from our President.   ^-^

You said it had not been attempted since Reagan.  A fair-minded response would be "Thank you for correcting me, Once-Ler."  I'll hold my breath in anticipation.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 10:24:11 pm »
I felt "shame and embarrassment" losing so many times with weak candidates.

Policy scholars are determining Trump has done more conservative measures since (or even including) Reagan.

As Reagan himself said, if he could get 80% he took it and tried for more.

What is better? Another loss, or an imperfect win? That and that alone, was the choice.   
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 10:26:54 pm »
Did you watch the video of the rally posted up thread @LauraTXNM ?

@Right_in_Virginia I didn't watch it, but I listened to it.  Why?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 10:29:52 pm »
I felt "shame and embarrassment" losing so many times with weak candidates.

Policy scholars are determining Trump has done more conservative measures since (or even including) Reagan.

As Reagan himself said, if he could get 80% he took it and tried for more.

What is better? Another loss, or an imperfect win? That and that alone, was the choice.

@truth_seeker I was going to review that American Heritage article, but off the top of my head, most of the things that have been accomplished are the social bits that are easy for a Republican "controlling" the Presidency and both Houses of Congress. 

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 10:39:09 pm »

Thank you.  My brother is a Republican, and my mother is a Democrat.  I don't believe either are evil, but it really took President Trump for me to recognize they are both willfully ignorant.  My mom is nearly incapable of seeing anything positive about Trump, and my brother can't find many of Trumps flaws.  And neither of them thanks me for disagreeing with them.

Watching the two of them fight about politics, is like watching 2 film critics who went to 2 different films argue why the other critics film sucked.  They talk over each other before a point is made and heard.  If their interactions are an indicator America is more divided under Trump than we were under Obama. 

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 10:40:01 pm »
You said it had not been attempted since Reagan.  A fair-minded response would be "Thank you for correcting me, Once-Ler."  I'll hold my breath in anticipation.

I stand by my original statement @Once-Ler .... GWB did not campaign for or win Pennsylvania in 2000 OR 2004.

Donald Trump fought tooth and nail for the rust belt states, and in the end the wins there put him over the top and his hand on a Bible. 

And these wins were before the tariffs --- so your attempted comparison with Dubya is doubly bogus.

Donald Trump punched through the blue wall.  And now he's freely treading on Democrat hallowed political ground

A fair-minded person would acknowledge this accomplishment, recognize its strategic value and give the President credit where credit is due.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:43:23 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 10:40:56 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia I didn't watch it, but I listened to it.  Why?

Just curious  :shrug:

@LauraTXNM

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:42:25 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline DB

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 10:43:39 pm »
Where are those dancing goal posts when you need them...

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 10:43:49 pm »
Thank you.  My brother is a Republican, and my mother is a Democrat.  I don't believe either are evil, but it really took President Trump for me to recognize they are both willfully ignorant.  My mom is nearly incapable of seeing anything positive about Trump, and my brother can't find many of Trumps flaws.  And neither of them thanks me for disagreeing with them.

Watching the two of them fight about politics, is like watching 2 film critics who went to 2 different films argue why the other critics film sucked.  They talk over each other before a point is made and heard.  If their interactions are an indicator America is more divided under Trump than we were under Obama.

1000+!!!  I'd be in the same position as you, but my Republican family members were all older and have passed away. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 10:48:39 pm »
@truth_seeker I was going to review that American Heritage article, but off the top of my head, most of the things that have been accomplished are the social bits that are easy for a Republican "controlling" the Presidency and both Houses of Congress.
I disagree. He has helped businesses by removing/changing rules and regs that impair them. they have so stated, and the DJIA (up over 30% since Nov. 2016 election day)  reflects those facts.

The Keystone pipeline is just one bit of empirical evidence, using a project much in the news and discussed by conservatives and business people.

Thse factors in turn, generate jobs and paychecks. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Pipeline

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 10:49:27 pm »
Just curious  :shrug:

@LauraTXNM

@Right_in_Virginia Trump is definitely not boring!  Much like Sarah Palin, he's good at zingers and one-liners, though I think he's more coherent than she was.  But when he goes off-script, he really doesn't say much of substance.  I thought his State of the Union speech was very good.  But at rallies like this, he's just trying to be entertaining.  So he says things that are factually wrong or simply crass.  I don't think it's helpful to anyone who doesn't already love him.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 10:56:07 pm »
....My brother is a Republican, and my mother is a Democrat.  I don't believe either are evil....

THIS!  Comments labeling all Liberals, Progressives, Right-Wingers, Conservatives as evil, make it nearly impossible to speak to each other.  It's the kind of thing I expect from a middle school kid.  My 13-year-old son was going down this road; he couldn't imagine how anyone could vote for President Trump.  All he sees is the President hurting people he cares about. 

So we're having an ongoing civics conversation about why and how people disagree.  I'm trying to make sure we spend time with the one family Trump voter, his dad's great-uncle, because my son really likes Uncle Andrew.  Uncle Andrew is not an ogre; he just voted for Trump.  The only problem, is that Uncle Andrew keeps trying to engage my husband in political conversations ;(.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:57:04 pm by LauraTXNM »