Author Topic: Outage outrage: Nearly 500,000 customers still in dark after nor'easter  (Read 653 times)

rangerrebew

Outage outrage: Nearly 500,000 customers still in dark after nor'easter

NBC News
Elizabeth Chuck
1 day ago

A man clears a driveway in Lowell, Massachusetts, on March 8. A second snow storm in less than a week left over 24 inches (61cm) in some areas of the state of Massachusetts.

Nearly half a million customers along the East Coast were still in the dark Friday morning, growing increasingly angry with utility crews struggling to restore service after the latest nor'easter.

About 448,800 customers from Maryland to Maine were powerless two days after the second storm in less than a week pummeled the region. Some of them, without electricity since last week's nor'easter, woke up to an eighth day of being in cold, dark houses.

https://www.iceagenow.info/nearly-half-a-million-customers-still-in-the-dark/#more-24985

Offline RoosGirl

I guess storms like these are rare, unlike hurricanes that knock out power to tens of thousands in the southeast on basically a yearly basis, so people don't know how to prepare for them?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Freya, how are you and your mom doing today?  Warm and dry, I hope.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@Freya, how are you and your mom doing today?  Warm and dry, I hope.

We went out for lunch today at a seafood restaurant, first time in several days where both of us have been out. It was lovely.

Mom bought me some new clothes at Talbots's and
Chico's for the upcoming holiday because I've lost another 17 lbs since January. :)

New shirt and new pants! And cardigan.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Going forward, investing in a generator will be a very good investment. Maybe have a transfer switch installed.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
We went out for lunch today at a seafood restaurant, first time in several days where both of us have been out. It was lovely.

Mom bought me some new clothes at Talbots's and
Chico's for the upcoming holiday because I've lost another 17 lbs since January. :)

New shirt and new pants! And cardigan.

Talbot's!  I'm 5'10" so I've never been able to shop there.  Good for you!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Going forward, investing in a generator will be a very good investment. Maybe have a transfer switch installed.

I'm in an apartment complex, it's not allowed,
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Victoria33

When power goes out, I don't have a generator, but still have light, cooling, heating, working radios and working TV, and ten ways to cook and plenty of water and food.  I expect my book, "Emergencies Happen!  Be Prepared", to get a book agent soon.  I won't stop until I find one who is smart enough to take it.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
We lost power for about two hours Wednesday afternoon at my place in SW CT.
Was sitting at the computer, it suddenly went dark and just after that heard a "bang!" (not too close but not too far off).

No generator here, and even if I had one not sure how I could hook it up. My house still has old knob-and-tube wiring from 1911.

My biggest surprise was discovering that even though the internet modem and router were without power, I was still connected to the net via wifi.

I'm on Frontier DSL (internet, tv and phone all come in on the DSL line).
I posted about this on macintouch.com, and someone there said "you were connected to a hotspot". But this is an area of all houses, no businesses with wifi, no hotspots anywhere close. But while the power was out, I checked and re-checked my wifi icon in the menu bar and all the time it showed as connected to my wifi router.

As far as I can figure, there is enough residual "power" in the DSL signal to "get through" the modem, then into my router (Linksys Velop) via ethernet, and then somehow to a wifi signal...

Offline dfwgator

They're trying desperately to find a way to blame Trump.

Offline DB

Re: Outage outrage: Nearly 500,000 customers still in dark after nor'easter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 01:13:06 am »
We lost power for about two hours Wednesday afternoon at my place in SW CT.
Was sitting at the computer, it suddenly went dark and just after that heard a "bang!" (not too close but not too far off).

No generator here, and even if I had one not sure how I could hook it up. My house still has old knob-and-tube wiring from 1911.

My biggest surprise was discovering that even though the internet modem and router were without power, I was still connected to the net via wifi.

I'm on Frontier DSL (internet, tv and phone all come in on the DSL line).
I posted about this on macintouch.com, and someone there said "you were connected to a hotspot". But this is an area of all houses, no businesses with wifi, no hotspots anywhere close. But while the power was out, I checked and re-checked my wifi icon in the menu bar and all the time it showed as connected to my wifi router.

As far as I can figure, there is enough residual "power" in the DSL signal to "get through" the modem, then into my router (Linksys Velop) via ethernet, and then somehow to a wifi signal...

Telephone central offices (where land lines go) have battery backup and may have generators.