Author Topic: Trump is Reviving American Republicanism  (Read 274 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump is Reviving American Republicanism
« on: March 09, 2018, 06:40:28 pm »
Trump is Reviving American Republicanism
American Greatness, Mar 8, 2018, Larry Schweikart and Michael Sheppard

Late on election night, as befuddled pundits finally accepted that Trump, against all predictions, had been elected president, the question arose: “What then should this new Trump party be called?”  Came the puzzled response: “I don’t know you tell me.”

Whereas others entered office prepared merely to give lip service to their campaign promises, Trump intends to keep every single one of his. Get rid of Obamacare? That has already been done for all practical purposes. Build a wall? The prototypes are complete and if it is not built, it will not be the fault of the Trump Administration so much as it is of Republicans in Congress who still do not appear to understand the significance of the immigration problem.  But perhaps most central to Trump’s appeal was his promise to restore American manufacturing, especially in the rust belt.

Those were campaign promises, true. But they were not meant simply to be naked appeals to a certain class of voter. Trump was savvy to notice the blue-collar, middle-class voters Barack Obama and Hillary deliberately ignored and dumped into a “basket of deplorables” had unmet political needs. 

But more than that, Trump’s hostility to open immigration with lax or non-existent borders, recognized that America had unmet political needs that, even though they ran contrary to the establishment majority in the GOP, were a unifying element in the GOP’s base just waiting for someone like Trump to seize the initiative.

Read more:  https://amgreatness.com/2018/03/08/trump-is-reviving-american-republicanism/

Offline endicom

Re: Trump is Reviving American Republicanism
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 07:05:18 pm »

That includes a point I keep trying to make, that the post-WWII period was anomalous and is now behind us. Competition is now back to the norm.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 04:46:39 am »
That includes a point I keep trying to make, that the post-WWII period was anomalous and is now behind us. Competition is now back to the norm.

Do you mean business competition?  I still am not sure what everyone in the Rust Belt is going to do, with automation becoming more prevalent.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 05:01:54 am »
Whereas others entered office prepared merely to give lip service to their campaign promises, Trump intends to keep every single one of his. Get rid of Obamacare? That has already been done for all practical purposes.

I stopped reading right there.

This is the same stupid venal shit we read from WAPO and the NYTs for 8 years solid to prop up Obama.  Saying overt bullshit because repeating a lie over and over again somehow makes it true.

ObamaCare is still here.  Trump and the GOP now own it and there has already been talk of the need to revive the penalties to impose the mandate because the system is going bust without forcing young and healthy people paying into the pool.  So, all Trump has done is reviving Statism under the Republican banner.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775