State Chapters > Texas

SpaceX confirms plan to activate South Texas launch site in late 2018

(1/1)

Elderberry:
teslarati.com      By Eric Ralph 3/4/2018

Following our report that Elon Musk’s space company was progressing on the development of a new launch site in Texas, SpaceX’s Senior Communications Manager James Gleeson has confirmed with Teslarati that the company is, in fact, working towards the activation of its South Texas launch facilities in late 2018, possibly sooner.

“We are currently targeting late 2018 for the site in South Texas to be operational but we’re reviewing our progress and will turn the site online as soon as it’s ready.”

Combined with a comment made in early January by SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell, BFS development by all appearances is going quite smoothly. Still, it’s likely that the Boca Chica site’s late 2018 “operational” status refers mainly to an ability to support something less than orbital launches, perhaps suborbital testing of BFS. According to a source knowledgeable with SpaceX’s South Texas outlook, there are currently no plans to manufacture BFR in the region, although the company has enjoyed the warm welcomes it’s received from local leaders enthusiastic about the company’s local expansion.

More: https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-activate-south-texas-launch-site-late-2018/

Elderberry:
I've never watched a launch. If launches from Boca Chica becomes a reality, I'll definitely go down there and watch a launch.

I should have gone to Matagorda to watch one of Deke Slayton's launches.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version