Author Topic: Air Force in Crisis, Part I: Why Pilot Retention Matters Right Now  (Read 304 times)

rangerrebew

Air Force in Crisis, Part I: Why Pilot Retention Matters Right Now
Mike Benitez
February 28, 2018

Air Force pilot retention has plummeted to 35 percent — 1,363 pilots have left in the past 24 months. A news headline reads: “Military hopes to curb exodus of discontent pilots.” The Senate is resistant to raising the pilot bonus. Air Force officials are feverishly working to rebuild trust in the ranks by addressing quality-of-life issues left unattended. Pilots are voting with their feet and the airlines are hiring. One non-traditional solution being panned is Phoenix Aviator. In lieu of a traditional bonus, pilots who agree to stay would be eligible for a $100,000 bonus upon separation. In return, they would receive an airline transport rating and the airlines would grant preferential treatment to military pilots who have served at least 15 years. The airlines are supportive. Sen. John McCain is not, remarking, “I’d be more interested in raising the aviation bonus and giving pilots a better lifestyle.”

This wasn’t in 2018 — it was in 1997.

https://warontherocks.com/2018/02/air-force-crisis-part-pilot-retention-matters-right-now/