Author Topic: Ted Cruz, Whose Real Name is Rafael, Slams 'Beto' O'Rourke For Latino Nickname  (Read 3271 times)

Offline DB

I am disappointed in this thread. I slandered John Tower by calling him a drunk and no one is defending him. Outrageous.

He wasn't?

Online mountaineer

So you are a Chica?  Always thought you were a Nino ... guess because @mountaineer brings up the image of a guy to me.
Sí. Thus my avatar.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

@TomSea

We get it already.  Ted Cruz is a Conservative, and you don't like Conservatives.  Again, we get it.  But posting stories from fake news websites like Yahoo News does not bolster your credibility.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

I am disappointed in this thread. I slandered John Tower by calling him a drunk and no one is defending him. Outrageous.

I will never forget the way the press treated John Tower when he was nominated for Sec. of Defense.  Some reporter asked him if he had ever cheated on his wife.  Tower truthfully answered 'Yes'.  I thought the reporter was despicable, and I gave Tower a lot of credit for his blunt honesty.  But the exchanged doomed his nomination.

Don't know where that reporter disappeared to a year later when Bill Clinton was running for President.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
What makes you think they aren't? Cruzitis cannot be bound to one site! it's funny how anything to do with Cruz makes certain people

Squirrel bubbles?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
It's dumb because Cruz, too, has first name "issues".  It didn't buy him anything .. except opening himself to people making similar comparisons with his name --- and possibly more.

@Emjay

Not really.  Cruz's first name is Rafael, perfectly appropriate to his heritage but it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.  Ted is an acceptable substitute.  Now if he called himself by a nickname that suggested an entirely different heritage for some political advantage, that might not be so good.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Squirrel bubbles?
A squirrel chasing intangibles, every time it grabs a bubble it goes pop!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
A squirrel chasing intangibles, every time it grabs a bubble it goes pop!

I get it now!

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Ah, yes, same with my Spanish teacher, and I somehow became "Joaquin," which was pronounced something closer to "Wha-keen."

Of course it is.  How else would you pronounce "Joaquin"?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

:silly:

Offline LauraTXNM

I already explained this.  Fourth generation El Paso = Latino nickname.  It's very common there. 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I already explained this.  Fourth generation El Paso = Latino nickname.  It's very common there.

???

Offline LauraTXNM

???

Enh, this is a continuation of your and my conversation on the other thread and last night.  I thought it was a border thing, but you said not in South Texas.  So I guess it's more El Paso.  Maybe it's more the families who've been there for several generations.  Almost everyone I knew growing up had a Spanish nickname.  Most people speak at least some Spanish -- you study it from K12, even if you don't have family who speak it.  Beto is fluent, like a lot of people in El Paso.  And he was called Beto even when he was in high school.

Sorry I'm being grumpy ;(.  But it's equally dumb to make fun of "Ted" and "Beto".

I don't know why this bugs me, but I get annoyed when people just don't get El Paso and the mixed culture there.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:29:26 am by LauraTXNM »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

He was a drunk but he was our drunk!  And a damned smart one at that! 

Come to think of it, if I had to hang around with the same people he did in DC I would have died of alcohol poisoning long ago!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Enh, this is a continuation of your and my conversation on the other thread and last night.  I thought it was a border thing, but you said not in South Texas.  So I guess it's more El Paso.  Maybe it's more the families who've been there for several generations.  Almost everyone I knew growing up had a Spanish nickname.  Most people speak at least some Spanish -- you study it from K12, even if you don't have family who speak it.  Beto is fluent, like a lot of people in El Paso.  And he was called Beto even when he was in high school.

Sorry I'm being grumpy ;(.  But it's equally dumb to make fun of "Ted" and "Beto".

I don't know why this bugs me, but I get annoyed when people just don't get El Paso and the mixed culture there.

I get you, but Beto is still a dang commie pinko Irishman.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I was born in El Paso... I can remember being chased down the alley by rock throwing "Latinos" screaming gringo... I was probably in first grade...

I don't have fond memories of El Paso.

I have a few.  Mostly they involve seeing the place in my rear view mirror.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

The culture in the Valley is a mixed; but more Mexican than American.  We all spoke Tex-Mexlish, but there are many who speak no English.   

And, I think El Paso doesn't get the rest of the world.  But then, EP is closer to California than it is to Austin.

Offline RoosGirl

So, are we allowed to call him Paddy instead of 'Beto'?

Offline RoosGirl

Well, if you're from South Florida it sounds something more like "Jokin".

Offline Hoodat

@LauraTXNM

If I wire you some money and the address of a restaurant there in El Paso, can you overnight me four gallons of their enchilada sauce?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

The culture in the Valley is a mixed; but more Mexican than American.  We all spoke Tex-Mexlish, but there are many who speak no English.

@Sanguine  -  Do you live in Area Code 956?  That's about as Valley as you can get.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine  -  Do you live in Area Code 956?  That's about as Valley as you can get.

No, not any more.  I'm in central Texas now.

Offline LauraTXNM

@LauraTXNM

If I wire you some money and the address of a restaurant there in El Paso, can you overnight me four gallons of their enchilada sauce?

OMG, I wish!  I'm in Los Angeles now, and I miss "real" Mexican food.  I still haven't found a decent gordita here.  But which restaurant?  I might be able to get a friend to send it.

Offline LauraTXNM

I was born in El Paso... I can remember being chased down the alley by rock throwing "Latinos" screaming gringo... I was probably in first grade...

I don't have fond memories of El Paso.

I'm sorry that happened to you!  I can believe it.  I had a friend in sixth grade who was jumped by some cholas on her way home from school.  They knocked her down and cut off her hair with a broken bottle.  But hey, it's one of the safest cities in the US ;).

Offline Suppressed

At the same time, before Cruz, I'm not aware of any Hispanic holding state-wide office in Texas ever.

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2011/dec/12/republican-party-texas/texas-gop-chair-says-more-hispanics-have-won-state/

At least 5 GOP and 2 Dems.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn