Author Topic: Trump administration quietly makes it legal to bring elephant parts to the U.S. as trophies  (Read 855 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Trump administration quietly makes it legal to bring elephant parts to the U.S. as trophies
by Eli Rosenberg March 6 at 9:50 PM

The Trump administration will allow Americans to bring tusks and other elephant body parts back to this country as trophies, in a pivot away from the support President Trump voiced last year for an Obama-era trophy ban.

The decision, announced quietly in a March 1 memorandum from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, withdrew previous rulings on trophy hunting and said the agency would allow sport hunters to receive permits for the trophy items on a “case-by-case basis.”

The move contrasts sharply with the position taken by Trump in November.

more
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2018/03/06/trump-called-elephant-hunts-a-horror-show-his-administration-just-lifted-a-trophy-hunting-ban/?utm_term=.963a33571cd4
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I was going to ask why until I read further

The president’s sons Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump are avid game hunters. A photograph of Trump Jr. holding a knife and a dead elephant’s tail after a hunt in Zimbabwe in 2011 has drawn wide attention in the past.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
It’s about time.  Just another one of those pesky regulations putting a roadblock in front of MAGA.

:eleph: :eleph: :eleph:
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

I was going to ask why until I read further

Elephant trophy:

Other trophies:

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online mountaineer

the agency would allow sport hunters to receive permits for the trophy items on a “case-by-case basis.”
One has to wonder what goes into such determinations.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jpsb

I believe that a court ruled the Obama reg unlawful, Trump is correcting an unlawful reg with a lawful
reg.

Do not believe anything about Trump that comes from the Washington Compost.

Offline jpsb

Trump administration quietly makes it legal to bring elephant parts to the U.S. as trophies
by Eli Rosenberg March 6 at 9:50 PM

The Trump administration will allow Americans to bring tusks and other elephant body parts back to this country as trophies, in a pivot away from the support President Trump voiced last year for an Obama-era trophy ban.

The decision, announced quietly in a March 1 memorandum from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, withdrew previous rulings on trophy hunting and said the agency would allow sport hunters to receive permits for the trophy items on a “case-by-case basis.”

The move contrasts sharply with the position taken by Trump in November.

more
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2018/03/06/trump-called-elephant-hunts-a-horror-show-his-administration-just-lifted-a-trophy-hunting-ban/?utm_term=.963a33571cd4

You do know don't you that without game hunting there probably be no "game" left in Africa.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Certainly not very sympathetic pictures.

There is a contrarian school of thought about this.  There are preserves in Africa where the taking of these animals is permitted, at a high tax rate.  The money is then put into the preserve to maintain it and help propagate the species in the preserve, along with expansion of the preserve. 

Kenya had a large privately held hunting preserve (called "Galana ") that was self sufficient for ten years after it was decolonized after the Mau Mau Revolution.  The owner had worked out a deal with the Waliangulu bushmen, who were hunting the elephants to extinction for the meat.  In 1977, the hunting was made illegal by the anti-hunters in the government.  Poachers have since killed 5,000 of the 6,000 elephants that were on the preserve.  It remains illegal to this day, but the bushmen are finishing off the rest of the elephants by hunting them illegally.

Contrast:  In Botswana, the population of elephants skyrocketed while the population of them in Kenya plummeted.  It was legal to take elephants in Botswana until the anti-hunters stopped it in 2014. 
These data show that the prohibition of hunting kills the goose that lays golden eggs for the people of Africa and for the wildlife.

More about it from the Hoover Institution: 
https://www.hoover.org/research/how-hunting-saves-animals
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
You do know don't you that without game hunting there probably be no "game" left in Africa.

I do know there was a time of needless slaughter of elephants just to get their ivory...
Support the USO

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I do know there was a time of needless slaughter of elephants just to get their ivory...

That's still going on.   **nononono*
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

Does that mean I can sell the really ugly ivory bracelet that my grandmother left me that her ex brother-in-law brought her back after serving in Africa during WWII?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Does that mean I can sell the really ugly ivory bracelet that my grandmother left me that her ex brother-in-law brought her back after serving in Africa during WWII?

Tell @Frank Cannon it's plastic.  He'll be happy to unload it on his Section Eight tenants.
I will NOT comply.

Offline jpsb

No, you are stuck with that.

Offline edpc

You can set it on top of this magazine and see if they live together in perfect harmony.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:07:20 pm by edpc »

Offline RoosGirl

No, you are stuck with that.

Yep, appraised at over $800 because of the ivory content and worksmanship and I can't do anything with it.  I'm sure there's someone that would think it's the loveliest thing they've ever seen, but I'm stuck with the damn thing.

Offline Frank Cannon

Who gives a shit about this. The people upset over this type of hunting get upset that rats, deer and geese get killed for various reasons.

God Bless Donny!

Offline Suppressed

It's very helpful for many species (including elephants, in places where they are overpopulated). 

For others (e.g., lions), it's very harmful.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:05:58 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It's very helpful for many species (including elephants, in places where they are overpopulated). 

For others (e.g., lions), it's very harmful.

You make an important distinction.  Predators don't cotton to preserves.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Suppressed

You make an important distinction.  Predators don't cotton to preserves.

I admit I don't know all the specifics, but I think that's one of many factors.  Another is that the numbers are so low at this point.  National Geographic has pointed out that hunting has saved many species from extinction, but even so, there's this opinion against lion hunting: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/08/130802-lions-trophy-hunting-extinction-opinion-animals-africa-conservation/
+++++++++

Offline edpc

When I was little, we found a man. He looked like - like, butchered. The old woman in the village crossed themselves... and whispered crazy things, strange things. "El Diablo cazador de hombres."

Only in the hottest years this happens. And this year, it grows hot. We begin finding our men. We found them sometimes without their skins... and sometimes much, much worse. "El cazador trofeo de los hombres" means the demon who makes trophies of men.

Offline Suppressed

When I was little, we found a man. He looked like - like, butchered. The old woman in the village crossed themselves... and whispered crazy things, strange things. "El Diablo cazador de hombres."

Only in the hottest years this happens. And this year, it grows hot. We begin finding our men. We found them sometimes without their skins... and sometimes much, much worse. "El cazador trofeo de los hombres" means the demon who makes trophies of men.

heh...nice reference!
+++++++++