Author Topic: Mississippi is new headache for GOP in the South  (Read 243 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Mississippi is new headache for GOP in the South
« on: March 07, 2018, 01:42:44 pm »
Mississippi is new headache for GOP in the South
By Alexander Bolton - 03/06/18 08:32 PM EST

Sen. Thad Cochran’s (R-Miss.) impending retirement has opened a new path for Tea Party firebrand Chris McDaniel to reach the Senate — a prospect that Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) desperately wants to avoid.

McConnell and other Republican leaders are worried about a reprise of last year’s electoral debacle in Alabama, when another conservative insurgent, Roy Moore, capitalized on voters’ discontent with the Washington establishment to win the Republican primary, only to lose a Senate seat the GOP was expected to keep.

McConnell favored Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant (R) appointing himself to fill the vacancy created by Cochran’s retirement, but that hope crumbled Tuesday when Bryant ruled it out. 

McConnell is also mulling the prospect of Bryant tapping Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves or Mississippi House Speaker Philip Gunn to replace Cochran, according to GOP sources familiar with internal party discussions.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/377098-mississippi-is-new-headache-for-gop-in-the-south
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Just_Victor

Re: Mississippi is new headache for GOP in the South
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 01:49:33 pm »
Seems to me the headache source is McConnell and his leftist buddies, not Mississippi.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 01:59:13 pm »
Remember back in the day when Senators represented their State, not their Party's leadership?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 02:25:04 pm »

Now that Buddy Ebsen is retiring, will just about any of the possibles be better?