Author Topic: Trump Administration Sues California Over Immigration Laws  (Read 936 times)

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Re: Trump Administration Sues California Over Immigration Laws
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 09:37:12 pm »
Make sure you include the Federal subsidies to the State programs.  That complicates things a little (although the Obamacare subsidies for Medicaid expansion are running out).

The MediCal for illegal children explicitly was excluded from fed subsidies. 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 10:11:29 pm »
 Ok, so the CA govt gets between .78 and .99 for every dollar to the Feds.  That includes SS, Medicaid, Medicare, WIC, SNAP, funding for K12 and universities, subsidies and grants. It’s pretty complete, and there are only four or five states who get less — I think the lowest was NJ with .77/dollar.  Most states get over a dollar back for each dollar they send to DC.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 10:11:40 pm »
The MediCal for illegal children explicitly was excluded from fed subsidies.

That's good to know, because there are other states that allowed it.  Remember when Joe Wilson hollered  "You lie!" from the House floor during Obama's big speech to the joint chamber right before the Dems passed this?  He turned out to be correct, illegals were getting Obamacare subsidies. 

But you can see from the number of posts above it's not easy to research those numbers.  That's why I don't trust what I read in places like the Atlantic that tell me CA is a net payer of taxes.  I don't know if they've accounted for everything, and they are usually a bit devious about informing about what they did include.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 10:13:13 pm »
Ok, so the CA govt gets between .78 and .99 for every dollar to the Feds.  That includes SS, Medicaid, Medicare, WIC, SNAP, funding for K12 and universities, subsidies and grants. It’s pretty complete, and there are only four or five states who get less — I think the lowest was NJ with .77/dollar.  Most states get over a dollar back for each dollar they send to DC.

That may have been true in the past, but the demographics have changed.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 10:18:01 pm »
That's good to know, because there are other states that allowed it.  Remember when Joe Wilson hollered  "You lie!" from the House floor during Obama's big speech to the joint chamber right before the Dems passed this?  He turned out to be correct, illegals were getting Obamacare subsidies. 

But you can see from the number of posts above it's not easy to research those numbers.  That's why I don't trust what I read in places like the Atlantic that tell me CA is a net payer of taxes.  I don't know if they've accounted for everything, and they are usually a bit devious about informing about what they did include.

Agreed!  If you look at the (conservative anti-tax ;)) Harold Jarvis Taxpayers Foundation, CA gets back less; the Feds and other estimates are closer to .99.  Part of the differences are Year-to-year; some relate to payments on the natl debt. 

PS There actually is some disagreement about whether some of the fed money for MediCal goes to the undocumented kids or not.  “Technically” that money comes from the state. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2018, 10:19:50 pm »
Agreed!  If you look at the (conservative anti-tax ;)) Harold Jarvis Taxpayers Foundation, CA gets back less; the Feds and other estimates are closer to .99.  Part of the differences are Year-to-year; some relate to payments on the natl debt. 

PS There actually is some disagreement about whether some of the fed money for MediCal goes to the undocumented kids or not.  “Technically” that money comes from the state.

"Undocumented"?  They have documents, that's not the issue.  The issue is that they are here illegally.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2018, 10:30:01 pm »
Assuming the Feds keep all the money they send to CA, it might be a net gain for the rest of the nation.

For many years figures have shown Calofornia paid the feds more than they received. Same for Texas.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2018, 10:30:07 pm »
"Undocumented"?  They have documents, that's not the issue.  The issue is that they are here illegally.

I used “illegal” earlier.  But I didn’t want to have to type out “illegal immigrant children”, and “illegal children” sounded really weird ;).

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2018, 10:31:23 pm »
That may have been true in the past, but the demographics have changed.

The most recent numbers were from 2015-2016.  They’re current.  Actually some people have “self-deported” since then ;).

Offline jpsb

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2018, 10:45:37 pm »

Did you count money for military bases, GI's pay? San Diego cost a lot all by it's self.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2018, 10:48:27 pm »
Did you count money for military bases, GI's pay? San Diego cost a lot all by it's self.

No, because that goes to the feds in CA.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2018, 10:59:31 pm »
While we're playing with statistics, here are some that may help bring the picture into focus:

Illegal Immigration Costs California $30.3 Billion A Year—17.7 Percent Of State Budget

February 21, 2017 Spencer P Morrison Analysis 70
cost of illegal immigration into california
Illegal Immigrants Cost the State of California $30.29 Billion Annually

Illegal immigrants and their children cost the State of California roughly $30.29 billion per year in net costs.  This works out to $7,352 per illegal alien, or ~17.7 percent of California’s state budget.

Of course, many of these costs are absorbed by local jurisdictions and the federal government, but the drain on the State of California remains significant.  As such, the question is no longer whether California ought to allow illegal immigration—it’s whether the State can afford it.

Illegal immigration is expensive: two recent studies from the Federation for American Immigration Reform and the National Economics Editorial peg the annual cost of illegal immigration to America between $135 and $140 billion.  And of all the states, California bears the largest burden due to its sizable illegal population....

https://nationaleconomicseditorial.com/2017/02/21/costs-illegal-immigration-california/

Using low-end estimates (unrealistically low, IMO):

According to the Migration Policy Institute (MPI), there are 3,019,000 adult illegal immigrants living in the state of California.  On top of this are 1.1 million children of illegal immigrants (975,000 of whom would be considered anchor babies).  Therefore, in total there are 4.12 million illegal immigrants, and their children living in California.

A few topical observations regarding the illegal population.  First, they use government services.  I’ll get into the details later, but note that some 806,000 undocumented migrants had California drivers licenses in 2016.  Clearly they’re interacting with the government in a meaningful way....

https://www.newsmax.com/fastfeatures/illegal-immigration-california/2015/09/14/id/691462/

And:

Illegal immigration is expensive: two recent studies from the Federation for American Immigration Reform and the National Economics Editorial peg the annual cost of illegal immigration to America between $135 and $140 billion.  And of all the states, California bears the largest burden due to its sizable illegal population....

https://nationaleconomicseditorial.com/2017/02/21/costs-illegal-immigration-california/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2018, 11:02:53 pm »
Thanks, @Sanguine
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2018, 11:15:53 pm »
Thanks, @Sanguine!

Those numbers are shocking, aren't they?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2018, 11:23:32 pm »
Those numbers are shocking, aren't they?

I knew Cali was being invaded, but those numbers do throw it into a stark light.  And yet they just love their illegals.  They MUST be voting or something, or Jerry and Company wouldn't be encouraging it....
I will NOT comply.