Author Topic: The Chicken Littles Are Hammering Trump on Trade, but Charles Payne's Truth Bombs Blow Their Theorie  (Read 878 times)

Offline endicom

The Chicken Littles Are Hammering Trump on Trade, but Charles Payne's Truth Bombs Blow Their Theories to Smithereens

Townhall
Scott Morefield
Mar. 5, 2018

President Trump’s Thursday decision to begin the process of keeping his campaign promise to protect the American industrial base by imposing tariffs on imported steel and aluminum has seemingly gotten everyone in a tizzy, oddly uniting Big Business, top globalists, the IMF, the GOP Establishment and even liberal Democrats, all of whom never agree on anything yet are united that this particular decision will mean nothing short of an economic apocalypse for the United States.

Truly, to hear these folks tell it we’re looking at an economic scenario to rival the bleak hellscape of The Walking Dead, minus the zombies (unless you count liberals as zombies, which arguably wouldn’t be that far off).

More... https://townhall.com/columnists/scottmorefield/2018/03/05/the-chicken-littles-are-hammering-trump-on-trade-but-fox-business-host-charles-paynes-truth-bombs-blow-their-theories-to-smithereens-n2457591

Offline endicom

So, imposing tit-for-tat tariffs would not be starting a tariff war.

Offline Suppressed

So, imposing tit-for-tat tariffs would not be starting a tariff war.

Exactly.  We've always been at war with Eurasia, silly!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
In general I think tariffs are counterproductive.  That said many of our big corporations are run by people with deep ties to other countries.   Those big corporations probably also have operations in those other countries.

So they don't care about America or having America come out ahead in these trade deals.   So of course they are going to push for trade deals which are better for areas where they think they can make more money or help the country for which they have allegiance too.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Suppressed

An excellent analogy for tariffs: training wheels.

They can be helpful for underdeveloped economies to get a jumpstart, at the expense of the citizens.

But races aren't won using training wheels.  Like tariffs, they hold back fully developed economies.  Note how the US wasn't truly a world economic power until we cut tariffs and our trade took off, along with our economy in general.

If someone wants to put extremely high tariffs on our products so they have to pay a lot for them, then that's hurting them. It's a typical leftwing wealth transfer from the consumer to a "favored" recipient.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn