Author Topic: Trump hits Bush: Invading Iraq 'the single worst decision ever made'  (Read 2560 times)

Online corbe

Trump hits Bush: Invading Iraq 'the single worst decision ever made'

By Max Greenwood  - 03/03/18 08:05 PM EST

President Trump blasted former President George W. Bush on Saturday over the 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq, calling it "the single worst decision ever made."

Speaking at a closed-door event with Republican donors in Florida, Trump mocked Bush's intellect and compared his decision to invade Iraq to "throwing a big fat brick into a hornet's nest."

"Here we are, like the dummies of the world, because we had bad politicians running our country for a long time," Trump said, according to CNN, which obtained a recording of the president's remarks.

"That was Bush. Another real genius. That was Bush," Trump joked. "That turned out to be wonderful intelligence. Great intelligence agency there."

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/376605-trump-hits-bush-invading-iraq-the-single-worst-decision-ever-made
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

Re: Trump hits Bush: Invading Iraq 'the single worst decision ever made'
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 02:27:44 am »
Wow.  Nearly 3,000 people were killed on 9-11 and our country was attacked.  Bush reacted based on the intelligence given him and with the consent of Congress and coalitions around the globe.

No, 'W' isn't my favorite president, but I'm sick and tired of Trump continuing to insult people.  Generally when a person insults others it to try to make themselves look better.  Trump needs to put a cork in it, grow up and do his darn job! 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 02:57:02 am »
Wow.  Nearly 3,000 people were killed on 9-11 and our country was attacked.  Bush reacted based on the intelligence given him and with the consent of Congress and coalitions around the globe.

No, 'W' isn't my favorite president, but I'm sick and tired of Trump continuing to insult people.  Generally when a person insults others it to try to make themselves look better.  Trump needs to put a cork in it, grow up and do his darn job!

Trump does this nonsense to keep his fans entertained.  It also boosts his ego when others react to his insults, makes him feel like macho man. 

Meanwhile, we still have Obamacare, phony, half-assed tax reform and a continuing invasion by illegals and alleged "refugees."  The major promises he made to voters during the campaign have yet to be accomplished.  Ok, it's only been a year since he took office, but he should have been further along than he is.  Nothing significant is being accomplished, but Trump prefers instead to spend his time making stupid comments on subjects and about people he knows nothing about.  He is not right for this job

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:57:42 am »
No doubt.  The sanctions and the no-fly zones, oil for "food", and all those UN resolutions were working SO well.  Dipshit.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 05:05:31 am »
OMG!  Why hasn't it ever been reported before that Donald Trump holds this opinion????    (/s)

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 05:09:55 am »
OMG!  Why hasn't it ever been reported before that Donald Trump holds this opinion????    (/s)

*****rollingeyes*****

Why doesn't Trump put a damn sock in it?  For the same reason he keeps pulling out the "Hillary needs to be investigated" carrot; as stated above, it entertains his true believers.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 05:17:23 am »

*****rollingeyes*****

Because it would be another reason not to vote for him....

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 05:20:49 am »
Because it would be another reason not to vote for him....

You missed the sarcasm tag @montanajoe

Candidate Trump has said this of the Iraq War since day one ....

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 05:26:35 am »
"That was Bush. Another real genius. That was Bush," Trump joked. "That turned out to be wonderful intelligence. Great intelligence agency there."

George Tenet, a Clinton holdover, told Bush the Iraq WMDs were a slam dunk.  Democrats like the Clintons and Kerry were carping about Hussein’s chemical weapons in 2000.  Many were actually found, but were called ‘degraded,’ by the press and Dems, because they were pre-1991.  However, none of them would dare step foot in a building housing our WWI era munitions in Alabama.

Trump should know better than to mock bad intel.  We’ve already lost people on his watch during operations in Yemen and Niger due to bad intel.  It won’t be the last time, either.  He’s a gaping, unwashed a-hole who can STFU.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:28:03 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online DB

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 05:47:19 am »
You missed the sarcasm tag @montanajoe

Candidate Trump has said this of the Iraq War since day one ....

Sept. 11, 2002: Howard Stern asks Trump if he supports invading Iraq. Trump answers hesitantly. “Yeah, I guess so. You know, I wish it was, I wish the first time it was done correctly.”

Jan. 28, 2003: Trump appears on Fox Business’ “Your World with Neil Cavuto,” on the night of President Bush’s State of the Union address. Trump says he expects to hear “a lot of talk about Iraq and the problems,” and the economy. He urges Bush to make a decision on Iraq. “Either you attack or you don’t attack,” he says. But he offers no opinion on what Bush should do.

Cavuto: If you had to sort of breakdown for the president, if you were advising him, how much time do you commit to Iraq versus how much time you commit to the economy, what would you say?

Trump: Well, I’m starting to think that people are much more focused now on the economy. They are getting a little bit tired of hearing, we’re going in, we’re not going in, the — you know, whatever happened to the days of the Douglas MacArthur. He would go and attack. He wouldn’t talk. We have to — you know, it’s sort like either do it or don’t do it. When I watch Dan Rather explaining how we are going to be attacking, where we’re going to attack, what routes we’re taking, what kind of planes we’re using, how to stop them, how to stop us, it is a little bit disconcerting. I’ve never seen this, where newscasters are telling you how — telling the enemy how we’re going about it, we have just found out this and that. It is ridiculous.

Cavuto: Well, the problem right there.

Trump: Either you attack or you don’t attack.

Cavuto: The problem there, Donald, is you’re watching Dan Rather. Maybe you should just be watching Fox.

Trump: Well, no, I watch Dan Rather, but not necessarily fondly. But I happened to see it the other night. And I must tell you it was rather amazing as they were explaining the different — I don’t know if it is fact or if it is fiction, but the concept of a newscaster talking about the routes is — just seems ridiculous. So the point is either you do it or you don’t do it, or you — but I just — or if you don’t do it, just don’t talk about it. When you do it, you start talking about it.

Cavuto: So you’re saying the leash on this is getting kind of short here, that the president has got to do something presumably sooner rather than later and stringing this along could ultimately hurt us.

Trump: Well, he has either got to do something or not do something, perhaps, because perhaps shouldn’t be doing it yet and perhaps we should be waiting for the United Nations, you know. He’s under a lot of pressure. He’s — I think he’s doing a very good job. But, of course, if you look at the polls, a lot of people are getting a little tired. I think the Iraqi situation is a problem. And I think the economy is a much bigger problem as far as the president is concerned.

https://www.factcheck.org/2016/02/donald-trump-and-the-iraq-war/

Trump was for it before he was against it...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:48:38 am by DB »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 05:50:50 am »
The decision to invade Iraq may or may not have been a good or a bad idea. But regardless of that, the unpardonable sin is that they had no plan.

It was like a group of frat boys yelling 'Road Trip!', let's go to New Orleans! yeah! Yeah! Let's do it! And half way there they find out that they don't have money for gas or food, and they can't book a room anyway because they are all sold out...etc.

What I mean is, Bush and his crew just woke up one morning and said, 'Let's invade Iraq', and they had no strategic plan what to do afterward. Everything was very short sighted. There was no 5 year plan as to how the war was going to unfold. Bush only had singular immediate goals.

Depose Saddam. OK. What now? Then they came up with that idiotic 'purple finger' voting thing, as if they could convert thousands of years of Middle East culture into Texas overnight.

Whether or not the invasion was a good idea is not the most important thing to me. A bad idea can still be implemented competently. The problem was they had no practical endgame. They were just playing the thing on the fly and had no idea what they were doing.

If they want Americans to conquer Iraq and to occupy it, we can do that. But nobody can turn Iraq into the 51st State of America or another European Nation in a couple of months. And that seems to be exactly what they thought was going to happen, just magically. Sprinkle a little magic pixie dust and *poof* Iraq is a beautiful, calm, peaceful nation.

They thought there would be a spontaneous uprising from the population for freedom. And there was a spontaneous uprising alright, but it was an uprising to steal whatever they could loot, and to grab as much personal power as possible in the vacuum left by Saddam. More people have died since the Gulf War than ever before, and the country and the region has been in total chaos every day since the so called "liberation".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:51:14 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 05:57:58 am »
They thought there would be a spontaneous uprising from the population for freedom. And there was a spontaneous uprising alright, but it was an uprising to steal whatever they could loot, and to grab as much personal power as possible in the vacuum left by Saddam. More people have died since the Gulf War than ever before, and the country and the region has been in total chaos every day since the so called "liberation".

His father wouldn’t support the uprising after the 1991 conflict because it was largely Shi’a.  He knew that was an opportunity for Iran to gain influence.  As it was, that’s exactly what has happened since al-Sadr was encouraged to be part of the political process by Wolfowitz and company.  The Iraqis were not prepared for life under self rule after centuries of the opposite.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 05:58:51 am »
Too bad DJT doesn't take some equal time to bash democrats.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 06:01:45 am »
The river of stupid just keeps on flowing.  Trump expressed support for the "worst decision ever" until two years after the fact, when it lost favor with the Democrats.  Fortunately, his supporters will never learn about this, nor will they understand why his sarcasm is harmful.

Online DB

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 06:02:58 am »
The decision to invade Iraq may or may not have been a good or a bad idea. But regardless of that, the unpardonable sin is that they had no plan.

It was like a group of frat boys yelling 'Road Trip!', let's go to New Orleans! yeah! Yeah! Let's do it! And half way there they find out that they don't have money for gas or food, and they can't book a room anyway because they are all sold out...etc.

What I mean is, Bush and his crew just woke up one morning and said, 'Let's invade Iraq', and they had no strategic plan what to do afterward. Everything was very short sighted. There was no 5 year plan as to how the war was going to unfold. Bush only had singular immediate goals.

Depose Saddam. OK. What now? Then they came up with that idiotic 'purple finger' voting thing, as if they could convert thousands of years of Middle East culture into Texas overnight.

Whether or not the invasion was a good idea is not the most important thing to me. A bad idea can still be implemented competently. The problem was they had no practical endgame. They were just playing the thing on the fly and had no idea what they were doing.

If they want Americans to conquer Iraq and to occupy it, we can do that. But nobody can turn Iraq into the 51st State of America or another European Nation in a couple of months. And that seems to be exactly what they thought was going to happen, just magically. Sprinkle a little magic pixie dust and *poof* Iraq is a beautiful, calm, peaceful nation.

Nation building in an Islamic tribal country was the fatal flaw in the plan. They assumed that once Saddam was gone all would work itself out - completely ignoring the history and culture of the area.

The plan should have been to take out Saddam and his regime and leave and nothing more. Don't fix anything. Make an example of Iraq and let everyone else know this is your fate if you eff with us. Iran and NK wouldn't have done what they have if we had. Attempting kinder and gentler war followed by occupation was a fools errand.

Offline edpc

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 06:10:00 am »
Bush’s biggest mistake was including Iraq in the Axis Of Evil.  We now understand the third leg of the stool is Syria.  Otherwise, he was dead on.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 06:12:04 am »

Bush has crawled out of the gopher hole he's been hiding in for 8 years of Obama, to bash Trump. I'm not saying Trump is right. I'm only saying that this is not at all a one-sided exchange of insults.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 06:15:06 am »
Bush’s biggest mistake was including Iraq in the Axis Of Evil.  We now understand the third leg of the stool is Syria.  Otherwise, he was dead on.

There was another mistake Bush made, though it was barely reported on. That was removing retired LTG Jay Garner from his role in charge of Iraq reconstruction. He was called home after stating his objective was to return Iraq to the Iraqi people ASAP: "it's their country."

VP Cheney had too cozy a relationship with big contractors, too much money was to be made. Had Garner been able to do his job, we wouldn't have lost thousands of Americans in Iraq.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 06:18:51 am »

At least he took some time to endorse Dubya's nephew in Texas.

:3:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/feb/27/trump-endorses-roger-wicker-mississippi-george-p-b/

Wow! Roger Wicker, too! Not what I call draining the swamp.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online DB

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 06:28:11 am »

Bush has crawled out of the gopher hole he's been hiding in for 8 years of Obama, to bash Trump. I'm not saying Trump is right. I'm only saying that this is not at all a one-sided exchange of insults.

Perhaps it has something to do with Trump calling Bush a liar and claiming he created false evidence of WMD in Iraq from at least the primary on...

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 06:40:52 am »
Perhaps it has something to do with Trump calling Bush a liar and claiming he created false evidence of WMD in Iraq from at least the primary on...

Ok. But Obama spent 8 years blaming everything he could think of, from the weather to a flu outbreak, on former President Bush. During Obama's term, everything on Earth was 'Bush's fault'. It even became a cliche'. And yet, no a peep from Mr. Bush in defense of his decisions.

But for whatever reason, he feels comfortable trashing Trump.

Two things:
Bush will never criticize a Black man for anything. In their tiptoe world, that is automatically racist.
Trump made Jeb look like a fool. Well, that is he 'helped' Jeb look like a fool. So, payback.

Offline edpc

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 06:45:58 am »
Trump made Jeb look like a fool. Well, that is he 'helped' Jeb look like a fool. So, payback.

Their own mother said ‘no more Bushes in the White House’ back in 2013, before anyone thought Trump was running.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 01:19:24 pm »
 :yawn2:
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline jpsb

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 01:49:37 pm »

And just what did Iraq have to do with the attack on 911? NOTHING. Bush was taking care of
family business when he sent the US military into Iraq to oust Saddam, not the nation's business that he to do.
was elected to do.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 02:03:36 pm »

The plan  was to take out Saddam, recall Saddam tried to have daddy Bush killed. W invasion was
pay back. Gen Shakazzy (spelling) told W that he did not have enough troops to occupy Iraq.
Bush fired him. Gen Shakazzy was chairman of the JCS at the time. In other words the nations
top general.  Bush knew things would go to hell in Iraq and did not care as long as he could take
care of the unfinished family business with Saddam. I have zero respect for that POS, Bush.