Author Topic: Massive New Study Finds That Antidepressants Work  (Read 780 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Massive New Study Finds That Antidepressants Work
« on: March 02, 2018, 04:39:53 pm »
There’s been an array of controversy surrounding antidepressants over the past decades, ranging from concerns about their effectiveness to fears that overprescription is turning us into a “Prozac Nation”.

A massive new study in The Lancet has sought to put these debates to rest. An international team led by the University of Oxford in the UK has carried out a huge meta-analysis of almost 120,000 people and their experiences using 21 of the most commonly prescribed antidepressants.

Their verdict: antidepressants work...

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/massive-new-study-finds-that-antidepressants-work/

The comments are informative, too.

Obviously nothing works for everyone.  In this case, just the vast majority.

Online roamer_1

Re: Massive New Study Finds That Antidepressants Work
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 05:35:30 pm »
The comments are informative, too.

Obviously nothing works for everyone.  In this case, just the vast majority.

I will object most strenuously.
Anti-depressants are at best, a dangerous crutch. And a crutch that sometimes produces antisocial results.

The trick is to learn to change brain chemistry legitimately - Naturally - And therein commit oneself to a change in lifestyle that eliminates the sources of depression, or adds in the balm that allows one to shed it.

In that, antidepressants eliminate the natural guardrails that depression provides... And allows one to continue down a path that isn't good, chemically imitating a sense of well-being.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 05:36:34 pm »
I feel sad.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 05:45:04 pm »
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 05:57:19 pm »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 06:19:15 pm »
I know several people that are much better, with anti-depressants.

Depression is believed to be at least in part, hereditary. That seems to be the case with certain of my family members.

Fortunately the worst case, is an individual that neither drinks or uses drugs. She has taken anti-depressants (and therapy) for over 35 years.

A common scenario, is for the individual to take anti-depressants, feel better, decide on their own they no longer need the meds, stop taking them, and to then have serious manic or depressive episodes.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 06:34:33 pm »
Sometimes they work. But when they don't, it can be horrible. I suffer from Depression but I won't take anything because I am afraid it will take away my ability to cope with it. Lying in bed with my head covered isn't going to make it better. so I just go on to work. It's one thing to be depressed and another to be broke, homeless and depressed.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 06:45:00 pm »
I will object most strenuously.
Anti-depressants are at best, a dangerous crutch. And a crutch that sometimes produces antisocial results.

The trick is to learn to change brain chemistry legitimately - Naturally - And therein commit oneself to a change in lifestyle that eliminates the sources of depression, or adds in the balm that allows one to shed it.

In that, antidepressants eliminate the natural guardrails that depression provides... And allows one to continue down a path that isn't good, chemically imitating a sense of well-being.

Yes, we do disagree on this issue.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 06:50:34 pm »
Antidepressants work... even for animals. Some pet owners give antidepressants to their pets to stop certain behavior, and they do work. And fish who swim in area with antidepressants in the water don't avoid predators as much... etc. etc.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 08:34:46 pm »
I will give you all my personal example, FWIW.  Growing up, I never understood what was wrong, but several of my family members were depressive.  Some of them also drank like fish, which didn't help the situation.  I was a pretty anxious kid, I think.

As an adult, I realized I had a problem when my manic-depressive fiancé started spiraling into self-destruction.  I was anxious all the time and couldn't seem to shut it off, endlessly plotting out these worse-case scenarios in my head.  In the process of trying to get help for my fiancé, I ended up with a doctor who suggested a low dose of an anti-depressive targeted at anxiety.  It was a huge help; I could think and be upset without being paralyzed.  Now I'm more aware and recognize that when faced with great stress I get anxious.  I exercise and take various vitamins and supplements that definitely help.  But the prescription meds really work when I have had a serious crisis.

My doctor way back then told me, "The pills aren't to make you happy.  You're right to be upset.  But they help you function while you work through the problem."

No one else in my family would really recognize their need for or seek help.  In the end, my dad died at 59 of a massive heart attack (I'm afraid the cigs and alcohol were damaging) and my sister at 63 from COPD and a lifetime of nicotine, alcohol, and drug abuse. 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 10:11:21 pm »
I will give you all my personal example, FWIW.  Growing up, I never understood what was wrong, but several of my family members were depressive.  Some of them also drank like fish, which didn't help the situation.  I was a pretty anxious kid, I think.

As an adult, I realized I had a problem when my manic-depressive fiancé started spiraling into self-destruction.  I was anxious all the time and couldn't seem to shut it off, endlessly plotting out these worse-case scenarios in my head.  In the process of trying to get help for my fiancé, I ended up with a doctor who suggested a low dose of an anti-depressive targeted at anxiety.  It was a huge help; I could think and be upset without being paralyzed.  Now I'm more aware and recognize that when faced with great stress I get anxious.  I exercise and take various vitamins and supplements that definitely help.  But the prescription meds really work when I have had a serious crisis.

My doctor way back then told me, "The pills aren't to make you happy.  You're right to be upset.  But they help you function while you work through the problem."

No one else in my family would really recognize their need for or seek help.  In the end, my dad died at 59 of a massive heart attack (I'm afraid the cigs and alcohol were damaging) and my sister at 63 from COPD and a lifetime of nicotine, alcohol, and drug abuse.

Thanks for sharing.  Yes, anxiety can become a physiological response that may not be dependent on the actual degree of stress or threat.  Counseling and conditioning can help, but anti-anxiety meds cut that response loop and allow the reconditioning to work. 

Bless you.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 08:42:36 am »
I know several people that are much better, with anti-depressants.

Depression is believed to be at least in part, hereditary. That seems to be the case with certain of my family members.

Fortunately the worst case, is an individual that neither drinks or uses drugs. She has taken anti-depressants (and therapy) for over 35 years.

A common scenario, is for the individual to take anti-depressants, feel better, decide on their own they no longer need the meds, stop taking them, and to then have serious manic or depressive episodes.

Exactly...

They certainty don't work for everyone but for some they make a world of difference...unfortunately most, as noted start taking them, start feeling better, and then stop taking them...due in large part to the stigma associated with their use..
Seems to me better way is to recognize their potential value for some folks and for society to support those that need and benefit from them rather than stigmatize all who may have the need to use them..... :shrug:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:03:01 pm by montanajoe »

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 12:31:21 pm »
@Sanguine ❤️❤️❤️
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 12:37:58 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  Yes, anxiety can become a physiological response that may not be dependent on the actual degree of stress or threat.  Counseling and conditioning can help, but anti-anxiety meds cut that response loop and allow the reconditioning to work. 

Bless you.

Well, almost all psychiatric medications have some annoying side affects, that I will not get into here.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 03:01:17 pm »
Well, almost all psychiatric medications have some annoying side affects, that I will not get into here.

As do most meds.  They are disruptive by nature, disrupting a disease process and will almost inevitably cause some other effects.