Author Topic: LET THEM EAT SOUP: Commerce Secretary Ross Holds Up Campbell's Soup Can To Defend Steel Tariffs  (Read 3507 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Families buy more than one can of something per shopping trip and make a lot of those trips in a year, math whiz.  He's also not accounting for all the other things they'll buy made from more steel and aluminum.  There are plenty of others that say this isn't as inconsequential as he believes.

“If you want to rein in the third-longest economic expansion since the end of WWII, crimp profits at a time when stock market valuations have been called into question by rising interest rates, force consumers to withstand price increases and put millions of metals-reliant and other jobs at risk, the president’s stated intention of placing costly tarriffs on imported steel and aluminum is an effective way to start,” Bankrate economist Mark Hamrick said.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/economists-pan-trump-trade-policy-terrible-risks-ending-economic-expansion-162159427.html

Both of me and my husbands jobs rely on metals.  Our products are all made of metal.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Both of me and my husbands jobs rely on metals.  Our products are all made of metal.

Well, in your area, he certainly gave a swift kick in the groin to Boeing. The folks over at Airbus will be ecstatic.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Well, in your area, he certainly gave a swift kick in the groin to Boeing. The folks over at Airbus will be ecstatic.

We don't work at Boeing but my husbands job makes things for Boeing out of metal.  Lots of friends and family also who do work for Boeing.  My job uses lots of metal in their products also.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Suppressed

Want to see some funny hypocrisy?

Take these anti-American tariff freaks who minimize costs.... and suggest that if these are such tiny changes, then surely American steel and aluminum companies can lower their prices to be competitive!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

You must have been in the bathroom when  Mr. McGuire gave his One word of advice to young Benjamin Braddock.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

My job uses lots of metal in their products also.

You use a lot of mercury with bare hands judging by your posting quality. 

Offline edpc

A 'sputtering' fool?

Offline Frank Cannon

A 'sputtering' fool?

I was heading down the "Mad as a Hatter" trail, but that will work too.

Offline jpsb

lol, good one

Offline Chosen Daughter

I was heading down the "Mad as a Hatter" trail, but that will work too.

It must be your superior intelligence that allows you to pass those one line farts.

Offline Suppressed

And from your erethic posts, you appear to be huffing it.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline WingNot

And from your erethic posts, you appear to be huffing it.

Girl,  you need to up your game.  That was lame.

Offline RoosGirl

Girl,  you need to up your game.  That was lame.

Suppresses is a girl?  Huh.

Offline WingNot

Offline Fantom

We get very little of our steel from China.  Next question.

Well, directly anyways. They are the 11th biggest direct steel exporter to the USA.  Course, there is the indirect way... like thru mexico.... the second biggest exporter of steel to the USA.

The USA is the worlds biggest importer of steel, the third biggest producer. China.. an order of magnitude larger in production than anyone else. Commodities are fungible, they can be shifted around.

Another consideration, as Canada and mexico are our two biggest ..ahem" suppliers" of steel. Maybe a great club to renegotiate NAFTA on ore fair terms.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline musiclady

It must be your superior intelligence that allows you to pass those one line farts.

888high58888
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Fantom

Want to see some funny hypocrisy?

Take these anti-American tariff freaks who minimize costs.... and suggest that if these are such tiny changes, then surely American steel and aluminum companies can lower their prices to be competitive!

Obviously you have never precipitated a solution.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline WingNot

Obviously you have never precipitated a solution.

But Part of the problem she is.

Offline DB

Well, directly anyways. They are the 11th biggest direct steel exporter to the USA.  Course, there is the indirect way... like thru mexico.... the second biggest exporter of steel to the USA.

The USA is the worlds biggest importer of steel, the third biggest producer. China.. an order of magnitude larger in production than anyone else. Commodities are fungible, they can be shifted around.

Another consideration, as Canada and mexico are our two biggest ..ahem" suppliers" of steel. Maybe a great club to renegotiate NAFTA on ore fair terms.

Or we could lower our energy costs making those industries competitive again...

And if they are selling it below cost, then buy all you can and bankrupt them...

More expensive energy and more expensive metals makes for more expensive products. More expensive products don't compete well on the international markets...

Offline Fantom

We don't work at Boeing but my husbands job makes things for Boeing out of metal.  Lots of friends and family also who do work for Boeing.  My job uses lots of metal in their products also.

So, you then understand that material costs are a very small part of the equation. Most cost is value added by labor.

Take the average cost of a car $36,000.... it uses a ton and a half of steel. Today the commodity price of rod steel is $700.00. A 25% increase would $175.00 ... that is a metric ton. You add less than $300.00 to the price of a car with this.

Or as a Simple Bricklayer would look at it. I charge $1.10 (labor/overhead) to lay a brick under production conditions. A brick cost another  $0.40.  For a cost(we will , for simplicity forgo other material/job specific costs)of $1.50.

Say you increase my brick costs 25%..... or $0.10 in this case. I now have to charge $1.60 a brick to lay. A , rounding up, 7% increase in costs. And that is on the most material driven work...production. It actually is far less, probably under 5% increase when actual other factors on a competitive bid are factored in.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:29:48 am by Fantom »

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

Or we could lower our energy costs making those industries competitive again...

And if they are selling it below cost, then buy all you can and bankrupt them...

More expensive energy and more expensive metals makes for more expensive products. More expensive products don't compete well on the international markets...

A very very salient point.  888high58888  I do not disagree. Here in Oklahoma... we have the worst energy of all..wind farms springing up...obamas asparagus.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

Not really, I doubt this adds even  a quarter % to the cost of a Boeing jet.

Frederick Douglass

Offline edpc

So, you then understand that material costs are a very small part of the equation. Most cost is value added by labor.

Take the average cost of a car $36,000.... it uses a ton and a half of steel. Today the commodity price of rod steel is $700.00. A 25% increase would $175.00 ... that is a metric ton. You add less than $300.00 to the price of a car with this.

True, but I drive a company vehicle. There are quite a few of us in sales, applications, and service that have them. Many other corporations along with rental companies buy them in fleets. That $300 per unit may be a difference maker in bulk contract sales.  Also, Boeing lists the price of a 737 as between $51.5 million and $87 million, depending on the model.  The materials cost will bring that up an appreciable amount.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:47:51 am by edpc »

Offline Fantom

True, but I drive a company vehicle. There are quite a few of us in sales, applications, and service that have them. Many other corporations along with rental companies buy them in fleets. That $300 per unit may be a difference maker in bulk contract sales.  Also, Boeing lists the price of a 737 as between $51.5 million and $87 million, depending on the model.  The materials cost will bring that up an appreciable amount.

Which is a very small % this adds to operating expenses.

I have been trying to find how much aluminum is used in ..say a 737.  Best data I've seen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737  is 31 short tonne or 62,000 pounds.

If 70% is aluminum, more modern jets are far less. Than we come up with about 20 short ton rounding down. Metrisc tones of aluminum are trading on the market at under a dollar a pound, rounding up... say  https://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=aluminum $2200.00 a metric ton. Not sure if that reflects the new market AD Trump.  :pondering:

Anyways, I come up with about $50,000 dollars of aluminum in a 737.  Trump added..at most another $5000.00 to that 51,000,000 - 81,000,000 dollar plane.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Suppressed

Or cis something.

Cis-male.  Like you're a cis-C, grub.
+++++++++