Author Topic: Thoughts on “Never Trump” From a Former Never Trumper  (Read 246 times)

Online corbe

Thoughts on “Never Trump” From a Former Never Trumper

Posted at 12:30 pm on March 2, 2018 by Brandon Morse

Now that Trump has royally screwed the pooch, and conservatives, Republicans, and libertarians are once again infighting about Trump’s validity as leader of the right, I see a lot of people once again using the term “Never Trump” to describe his detractors.

During the 2016 election, I made no attempt to hide my disdain for Trump. Something about him didn’t seem right, and he continuously proved that in terms of knowledgeability, leadership, and grace. I became so against him being president that I proudly called myself a “Never Trumper.”

However, when he won the election I dropped the idea of “Never Trump.” I did so, not because I suddenly found myself affectionate for the guy, or had a turn around about my ideas of him. I kept those. But I didn’t see what being “Never Trump” could accomplish at that point. We had Trump. There was no other way around it.

<..snip..>

https://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2018/03/02/thoughts-never-trump-former-never-trumper/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Re: Thoughts on “Never Trump” From a Former Never Trumper
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 07:48:34 pm »
When he defeated Hillary I wrote publicly that everyone, especially his followers who pushed so hard for his election to the point of cult-like belief, should hold his feet to the fire.

Even Daddy Fred gave up on that 'Hold his feet to the fire' idea and sent him off to Military Boarding School.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 07:50:07 pm »
"I expected this continued full-boar rejection from the left, but not because they were “Never Trump.”"

When you go "full-boar" you lose me.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 07:51:29 pm »
But outside of them, the only people truly clinging to the idea of “Never Trump” aren’t those who once claimed themselves to be of that group. It’s the die-hard Trump lovers who think the President can do no wrong.

The fact of the matter is, he can do wrong. He does do wrong. His denunciation of due process, his suggestion that Republicans actually do fear the NRA, his promotion of tariffs, and his ignorance about trade deficits are very, very wrong. He needs to be called on it. He needs to be corrected. Not doing so could be highly damaging to the very way of life you elected him to protect.

At least on the right, “Never Trump” is dead. However, “Always Trump” seems to still exist, and that can be just as damaging, if not more damaging, than a permanent resistance.

There certainly are plenty of Trump lovers out there who apparently think the President can do no wrong.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 08:49:53 pm »
There certainly are plenty of Trump lovers out there who apparently think the President can do no wrong.
From the article:

It’s the die-hard Trump lovers who think the President can do no wrong.

The fact of the matter is, he can do wrong. He does do wrong. His denunciation of due process, his suggestion that Republicans actually do fear the
NRA, his promotion of tariffs, and his ignorance about trade deficits are very, very wrong. He needs to be called on it. He needs to be corrected. Not
doing so could be highly damaging to the very way of life you elected him to protect . . .

If we believe the left to be so myopic for their “Resistance” then we’d be wise to cast equal shade on the opposite extreme. There are times when
Trump absolutely must be stopped, and we’ve come to that point with this last week.

Painting those who chastise and berate him as “Never Trumpers” is a hollow attack. The reality on the right is that Trump is here, and there is no
“Never Trump” now. There is only managing him by voicing our displeasure or approval, and those who voice their displeasure with legitimacy are
right to do so.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.