Author Topic: Trump's Tariffs Will Crush the Beer Industry  (Read 520 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Trump's Tariffs Will Crush the Beer Industry
« on: March 02, 2018, 05:21:35 pm »
And they'll make lots of other things more expensive too
By Eric Boehm
http://reason.com/blog/2018/03/02/trumps-tariffs-will-crush-beer-industry

Donald Trump's plan to slap a 10 percent tariff on all aluminum imports has beer makers belching their outrage.

"President Trump's announcement today that he plans to impose a 10% tariff on aluminum imports will increase the cost of aluminum in the United States and endanger American jobs in the beer industry and throughout the supply chain," says Jim McGreevey, president and CEO of the Beer Institute, a trade association.

McGreevy called the proposed aluminum tariff "a new $347.7 million tax on America's beverage industry" and warned that imposing those added costs could trigger more than 20,000 in job losses . . .

. . . [T]he closest thing to an actual rationale for tariffs that the administration has been able to produce is a claim that relying too heavily on imported aluminum and steel is a threat to national security. The United States needs aluminum and steel to make rockets, bombs, and other weapons of war. If the global supply of those commodities were somehow restricted, the argument goes, then it would weaken America's ability to defend itself.

That entire line of argument falls apart under even the slightest scrutiny. For example, the largest exporter of aluminum into the United States is Canada, a nation that also happens to be one of America's closest allies. Any scenario where Canada restricts aluminum exports to weaken U.S. national security is a future where Washington has far, far bigger problems than aluminum imports . . . American workers will lose jobs. American consumers will pay higher prices. Beer will become more expensive. But at least we'll be secure against the threat of a war with Canada.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Trump's Tariffs Will Crush the Beer Industry
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 05:31:42 pm »
I drink my beer from bottles. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 05:32:29 pm »
Guess we'll all have to switch to 40s....

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 05:33:21 pm »
That ought to kill the majority of his base if the truth of why their beer has skyrocketed in price is ever actually reported.

His True Believers will Trumpsplain to them that they must eat their peas for the good of the country.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline WingNot

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 05:36:06 pm »
Guess we'll all have to switch to 40s....

Beautiful.  Absolutely Beautiful g4j

Offline DB

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 05:36:34 pm »
Aluminum is expensive in the US to produce because of energy costs.

Lower energy costs and the US could be competitive on its own.

The environazis have done everything in their power to make energy more expensive. This is just one of the consequences.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 05:39:11 pm »
This is good news for the  guy's like me who walks the hiways and byways looking for aluminum cans to recycle.   The price per salvage pound will increase.  Now I can retire at a level of comfort and style that I have grown accustomed to. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 05:39:55 pm by Wingnut »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 05:42:36 pm »
Just wait until the soda industry gets hit. Coca-Cola and Pepsi may find themselves unlikely allies if the tariffs actually go through and
they start taking effect.

(I don't drink beer---when I want a drink-drink, which isn't exactly all that often, I prefer bourbon and Coke or a nice glass of wine, with maybe a Scotch and water for
a changeup drink.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 05:42:56 pm »

The environazis have done everything in their power to make energy more expensive. This is just one of the consequences.

@DB
The average industrial cost of electricity in China is 28.04% cheaper then the US average.   Some states have lower costs and the cost is only about 12% cheaper.

While significant I'd think the lack of labor laws, environmental laws and the myriad of other govt regulations is much more significant.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 05:43:36 pm »
Scotch doesn't come in cans.

Offline DB

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 06:06:44 pm »
@DB
The average industrial cost of electricity in China is 28.04% cheaper then the US average.   Some states have lower costs and the cost is only about 12% cheaper.

While significant I'd think the lack of labor laws, environmental laws and the myriad of other govt regulations is much more significant.

Aluminum production is very energy intensive. Cost of energy is a big part of its cost. And how does one really know what China's energy costs are? It subsidizes the industries it wants to capture.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 06:08:55 pm »
Aluminum production is very energy intensive. Cost of energy is a big part of its cost. And how does one really know what China's energy costs are? It subsidizes the industries it wants to capture.

@DB
yes it does and taxes imports of the same.

They also spend a lot of money on lobbyists in our Congress to push laws favorable to them.   I'd imagine they also pay for internet trolls to help sway public opinion.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 06:09:48 pm »
No, but if you like a Scotch and soda, club soda comes in cans as well as bottles.

And if you like to cook (and I do), a lot of good ingredients come in cans, too. Not to mention my dogs' favourite
wet dog foods. And one of my favourite coffees (Chock Full o'Nuts) still comes in aluminum cans.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 06:22:08 pm »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 06:35:36 pm »
Growlers are the best.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 05:22:26 pm »

Where did you read this?  Americans enjoy some of the most abundant and lowest priced energy in the world. @DB
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 05:32:41 pm »

Fred's Blended 3 Month Aged Scotch comes in a 40 ounce can.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 05:33:55 pm »
I drink my beer from bottles.

So do most normal people.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 05:44:31 pm »
The aluminum smelting firm Ormet has announced that following an Oct. 2, 2013, ruling by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) denying the aluminum producer a request for an energy transition plan, it will close its aluminum smelter, in Hannibal, Ohio, where the company is headquartered. Ormet had sought an arrangement that would have allowed it to operate while constructing an on-site natural-gas-based power generation facility.

Ormet says that in light of PUCO’s decision, it will not be able to emerge from bankruptcy protection and will immediately shut down operations.

The company adds that it filed for bankruptcy protection Feb. 25, 2013, in light of low metal prices and exceedingly high and uncontrollable power costs. The Ohio Power industrial rate, which establishes the base rate for Ormet to procure power, has increased from $39.66 per megawatt hour (MWh), when the unique arrangement was established in 2009, to $60.83 per MWh in September 2013, an increase of more than 53 percent. During the same period, wholesale power costs in the region have decreased by more than 10 percent, the company says.

http://www.recyclingtoday.com/article/ormet-closing-ohio-aluminum-smelter/

Offline jpsb

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 05:46:35 pm »
Giant pile of aluminum was discovered two years ago in central Mexico - Measures one million metric ton; six per cent of world's aluminum stock - Industry exec is convinced it is related to Chinese billionaire Liu Zhongtian - Believes China has been routing aluminum through Mexico to avoid tariffs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3784270/Chinese-billionaire-hid-2-billion-aluminum-stockpile-Mexican-desert-claim-American-rivals.html