Author Topic: Shelters with echoes thought to be preferred sites for prehistoric rock art  (Read 380 times)

rangerrebew

Shelters with echoes thought to be preferred sites for prehistoric rock art
3/01/2018 06:00:00 PM Email 
The acoustic qualities of a rock shelter may have been a key factor in its selection as a site for rock art and indicate a spiritual significance to the practice, according to a recent study, while scientists are also looking into whether some caves were chosen as artistic sites because of the view.

Professor Margarita Díaz-Andreu and Dr. Tommaso Mattioli, both from the University of Barcelona, Spain, spent two years visiting rock art sites in France, Italy and Spain to compare acoustics and assess their relevance to the choice of location.

'In a cliff such as Baume Brune (in Vaucluse, France), with 43 shelters, why were only eight selected to be painted?' said Prof. Díaz-Andreu. 'There are other apparently similar ones nearby that were left empty. Why?'

Read more at https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2018/03/shelters-with-echoes-thought-to-be.html#6h1jPv7kTF6fXtxd.99

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I have reasons to believe some of my ancestors, worked on these cave art exhibits, between ice ages and retreats.

They later resided in the British Isles, and tested "Mediterranean," "Celtiberian," and/or "Iberian Peninsula," for dna category (autosomal).

There are wide variations for the dating of such cave art.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21028093-900-bear-dna-is-clue-to-age-of-chauvet-cave-art/
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline roamer_1

LOL!

Or maybe, just maybe, caves are where rock art survives. I can take you to a nice flat wall where native paintings are still evident where the rain can't get to...  Everything where the overhang ain't has obviously been washed clean.